33 migrants drown as boat hits rocks, sinks off Turkey coast

ANKARA, Turkey -- A boat smuggling migrants to Greece slammed into rocks off the Turkish coast Saturday and capsized, killing at least 33 people including five children, as the choppy Aegean Sea continued to claim asylum-seekers' lives this month at an appalling pace, officials said.

See Full Article

Coast guard officials said they rescued 75 people from the 17-meter (56-foot) vessel but government officials said they suspected more were trapped inside the sunken vessel and the death toll was likely to rise. Video footage on the Turkish shoreline showed police walking among bodies of several dead as they washed ashore, among them a toddler lying on his back in navy blue clothing.

The International Organization for Migration says drowning deaths are running at four times the rate of 2015, when many thousands daily sought to enter the European Union via Turkey by reaching one of more than a dozen offshore Greek islands, particularly nearby Lesbos.

Saturday's deaths take the drowning total for January above 250, whereas the agency recorded 805 drowning deaths on Turkey-Greece smuggling routes throughout 2015.

A Turkish government official said he expects rescue workers to find more dead who were trapped inside the wreckage of the boat, which sank shortly after departing from the Aegean resort of Ayvacik, barely 8 kilometres (5 miles) north of the Lesbos coastline.

Saim Eskioglu, deputy governor for the coastal Canakkale province that includes Ayvacik, said the boat "hit rocks soon after it left the coast and, unfortunately, it sank."

"We believe there are more dead bodies inside the boat," he told CNN-Turk television.

Ayvacik's mayor, Mehmet Unal Sahin, said most of the migrants were Syrians. The state-run Anadolu Agency said the boat also bore natives of Afghanistan and Myanmar.

In a statement, the Turkish coast guard said it dispatched three boats, a team of divers and a helicopter after receiving calls for help. The coast guard said its rescue teams recovered 33 bodies and were continuing to search.

A private Turkish news agency, Dogan, said police arrested a Turkish man suspected of being the smuggler who organized Saturday's disastrous sea crossing.

Journalists at the scene said weather conditions Saturday on the Turkish coast were relatively mild, with light winds and temperatures around 12 degrees Celsius (54 Fahrenheit).

Joel Millman, a spokesman for the International Organization for Migration, said the rate of deaths on Turkey-Greece human trafficking routes was "increasing at an alarming rate."

Millman, speaking before Saturday's tragedy, said the rate of fatalities was running exceptionally high versus 2015. He said 55,000 had crossed by sea into Greece this month, a "very small number" versus the monthly flow in 2015.

Turkey, which is hosting an estimated 2.5 million refugees from Syria, in November agreed to fight smuggling networks and stem the flow of migrants into Europe. In return, the European Union pledged 3 billion euros ($3.25 billion) to help improve the refugees' conditions.

The country says it has started rejecting Syrians who arrive without valid visas via third countries. It also has started to grant work permits to Syrians as an incentive for them to stay put in Turkey.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Searchers dig as Mexico City reopens just 1% of schools after earthquake

    World News CBC News
    Search teams are still digging in dangerous piles of rubble hoping against the odds to find survivors at collapsed buildings, while officials say they have so far cleared only 103 of Mexico City's nearly 9,000 schools to reopen Monday. Source
  • Convicted Craigslist killer appeals death sentence

    World News CTV News
    AKRON, Ohio - A man convicted of killing three down-and-out men lured by bogus Craigslist job offers is appealing his death sentence to Ohio's highest court. The Akron Beacon Journal reports the Ohio Supreme Court will hear the appeal of 58-year-old Richard Beasley Tuesday morning. Source
  • Searchers dig as Mexico City reopens 1 per cent of schools

    World News CTV News
    MEXICO CITY - Search teams are still digging in dangerous piles of rubble hoping against the odds to find survivors at collapsed buildings, while officials say they have so far cleared only 103 of Mexico City's nearly 9,000 schools to reopen Monday. Source
  • New Zealanders to wait weeks for next leader after election

    World News CTV News
    WELLINGTON, New Zealand - New Zealanders will likely need to wait two or three weeks to find out who will next lead their country after a general election on Saturday ended with an inconclusive result. Source
  • Donald Trump replaces travel ban with new restrictions affecting 8 countries

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Citizens of eight countries will face new restrictions on entry to the U.S. under a proclamation signed by President Donald Trump on Sunday. The new rules, which will impact the citizens of Chad, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Syria, Venezuela and Yemen, will go into effect on October 18. Source
  • RCMP called off pursuit of stolen vehicle 35 minutes before crash that killed 3 Edmonton women

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    The RCMP broke off its pursuit of a stolen vehicle that went on to be involved in a crash that killed three women and injured one other near Lloydminster on Friday. Two occupants of the minivan, women aged 35 and 37, were confirmed dead at the scene. Source
  • Kushner used personal email for White House messages: lawyer

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON – U.S. President Donald Trump's son-in-law, Jared Kushner, used his personal email account on dozens of occasions to communicate with colleagues in the White House, his lawyer said Sunday. Between January and August, Kushner either received or responded to fewer than 100 emails from White House officials from his private account, attorney Abbe Lowell said in a statement that confirmed Kushner's use of a personal address in the first months of the administration. Source
  • Wedding photographer captures groom jumping into river to rescue boy

    Canada News CTV News
    An Ontario couple’s wedding photo session turned into a rescue mission when the groom jumped into a river to save a little boy from drowning. Clayton and Brittany Cook of Cambridge, Ont., had just tied the knot Friday and were posing for their wedding photographer on a park bridge when the groom noticed a child in distress in the water below. Source
  • Wedding photographer captures groom jumping into water to rescue boy

    Canada News CTV News
    An Ontario couple’s wedding photo session turned into a rescue mission when the groom jumped into a river to save a little boy from drowning. Clayton and Brittany Cook of Cambridge, Ont., had just tied the knot Friday and were posing for their wedding photographer on a park bridge when the groom noticed a child in distress in the water below. Source
  • Donald Trump signs proclamation restricting travel from 8 countries

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Citizens of eight countries will face new restrictions on entry to the U.S. under a proclamation signed by President Donald Trump on Sunday. The new rules, which will impact the citizens of Chad, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Syria, Venezuela and Yemen, will go into effect on October 18. Source