American gets 20 years for 1997 killing of Korean student in Seoul

SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of -- A Seoul court sentenced an American to 20 years in prison Friday for fatally stabbing a South Korean university student at a Seoul Burger King restaurant in 1997.

See Full Article

The sentence by the Seoul Central District Court of Arthur Patterson, 36, from California, was the same that had been earlier requested by prosecutors. Patterson has one week to appeal, according to court spokesman Joon Young Maeng.

Patterson was extradited to Seoul in September, 16 years after he fled to the U.S.

Patterson's American friend, Edward Lee, who was with him at the time of the murder, was initially sentenced to life in prison for killing 22-year-old student Cho Choong-pil. But Lee was later acquitted due to lack of evidence.

Patterson had originally received an 18-month term for destroying evidence and possessing a dangerous weapon. Patterson was the owner of the knife used in the killing, and he threw it down a drain afterward, according to South Korean media reports. He was later freed in a special amnesty and fled South Korea in 1999 while authorities launched a new investigation, according to South Korea's Justice Ministry.

Patterson and Lee, both teenagers at the time, accused each other of killing Cho, who was found with multiple stab wounds in the Burger King bathroom and died on the way to a hospital. Cho was a stranger to both Americans.

Patterson was in South Korea at the time of the killing because his father was a civilian employee working for the U.S. military.

About 28,500 U.S. troops are stationed in South Korea to help deter potential aggression from North Korea. Crimes involving U.S. military personnel are a long-running source of anti-American sentiments among many South Koreans. The restaurant where Cho was killed was located in Itaewon, a popular shopping and entertainment district near the U.S. military headquarters in Seoul.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Calgary couple accused of abusing nieces and nephew to learn fate in June

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- A couple accused of abusing their two nieces and a nephew with implements that included wooden spoons, needles and barbecue forks are to learn their fate in June. The children's parents were killed in a car crash in the United States in 2006 and the kids, who were all under 10, were adopted by their maternal aunt and uncle, who moved them to Calgary. Source
  • U.S. softwood tariffs prompt NDP claim of "inaction" against Christy Clark

    Canada News CTV News
    BURNABY, B.C. - British Columbia NDP Leader John Horgan is accusing Liberal Leader Christy Clark of delay and inaction in the wake of American demands for duties on Canadian softwood. Horgan issued a news release saying he is disappointed by the United States government's decision to level an average 20 per cent duty on Canadian softwood, effective May 1. Source
  • Halifax council votes to put Cornwallis name on city property under microscope

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- In a move Halifax's mayor calls a step toward reconciliation with indigenous people in the municipality, regional council has voted to examine the use of Edward Cornwallis's name on city property. Mayor Mike Savage says council's decision Tuesday stands by a pledge it made in 2015 to develop a strong working relationship with the city's aboriginal residents based on truth, dignity and mutual respect. Source
  • Alberta needs new operations centre to manage disasters: minister

    Canada News CTV News
    EDMONTON -- Alberta is looking at building a new operations centre to better manage how it responds to disasters such as the Fort McMurray wildfire. Municipal Affairs Minister Shaye Anderson said the need for a larger and more modern nerve centre is one of the lessons learned from the fire last May that forced more than 80,000 people to flee the area and destroyed 2,400 homes and buildings. Source
  • White House lack of transparency in Michael Flynn investigation blasted

    World News CBC News
    President Donald Trump's former national security adviser, Michael Flynn, appeared to violate federal law when he failed to seek permission or inform the U.S. government about accepting tens of thousands of dollars from Russian organizations after a trip there in 2015, leaders of a House oversight committee said Tuesday. Source
  • Police nab suspects in Paraguay robbery involving tens of millions

    World News CBC News
    Twelve men suspected of taking part in a dramatic, multimillion-dollar theft from an armoured car company in a Paraguayan border city have been arrested in Brazil, officials in the Brazilian Federal Police said Tuesday. The men are thought to be among roughly 50 men who used explosives to blast into the vault of the Prosegur company in Ciudad del Este, then escaped into Brazil, Federal Police Inspector Fabiano Bordignon said. Source
  • LCBO workers vote overwhelmingly in favour of a strike

    Canada News CBC News
    Liquor Control Board of Ontario staff have voted 93 per cent in favour of a strike as their union continues to bargain for a new collective agreement. Voting by members of the Ontario Public Service Employees Union was held Monday and Tuesday. Source
  • China launches first domestically-made aircraft carrier

    World News CTV News
    BEIJING - China launched its first aircraft carrier built entirely on its own on Wednesday, in a demonstration of the growing technical sophistication of its defence industries and determination to safeguard its maritime territorial claims and crucial trade routes. Source
  • Watchdog says ASEAN must stand vs. killings in Philippines

    World News CTV News
    MANILA, Philippines - An international human rights watchdog is calling on Southeast Asian leaders to take a stand against the Philippines' war on drugs that has left thousands dead under President Rodrigo Duterte, the host of this week's regional summit. Source
  • Chobani sues provocateur Alex Jones for spreading sex assault, migrant claims

    World News CBC News
    Greek yogurt giant Chobani filed a lawsuit Monday against right-wing radio host Alex Jones, accusing the conspiracy theorist of publishing false information about the company. Chobani says that Jones and his InfoWars website posted fabricated stories earlier this month that linked Chobani owner Hamdi Ulukaya and the company to a sexual assault case involving refugee children. Source