German authorities search homes in Nazi investigation

BERLIN -- German authorities say they've searched the homes of three former SS men believed to have taken part in a Second World War massacre in northern France.

See Full Article

Prosecutor Andreas Brendel told The Associated Press on Friday that the homes of the three men, all around 90 years old, were raided this week in Saxony and Lower Saxony. Authorities confiscated documents, photos and other possible evidence.

The three are believed to have been members of the 12th SS Panzer Division "Hitler Youth," which was responsible for the massacre of 86 men in Ascq, France, in 1944.

Brendel says all three men, whose names he would not release, are believed to have been present for the massacre but deny that they were.

The investigation is ongoing and no charges have been filed.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • British police say attacker inspired by terrorism; 7 arrested in raids

    World News CBC News
    British police say they believe the attacker who killed three people including a police officer outside Parliament on Wednesday acted alone and was "inspired by international terrorism." Since the attack, police have raided six addresses since the attack, including in London and Birmingham, which have resulted in seven arrests in total. Source
  • Armed groups occupy schools in Central African Republic

    World News CTV News
    DAKAR, Senegal - The armed group took over the school little by little. One day when a fighter came to collect and burn the students' desks, teacher Thiernd Ouronfei decided he'd had enough. "I said he must put the kids' desks down. Source
  • South Korea salvage operation brings up Sewol ferry 3 years after disaster

    World News CBC News
    A 6,160-metric tonne South Korean ferry emerged from the water on Thursday, nearly three years after it capsized and sank into violent seas off the country's southwestern coast, an emotional moment for the country that continues to search for closure to one of its deadliest disasters ever. Source
  • British police raid property linked to London attack

    World News CTV News
    LONDON - British police raided several properties and arrested seven people in connection with the attack outside Parliament that left four dead, including the man who mowed down pedestrians on a bridge and fatally stabbed an officer, a senior police official said. Source
  • California may face 'significant risk' if Oroville dam isn't restored

    World News CTV News
    SAN FRANCISCO - California is not just fighting nature as it attempts to repair the nation's tallest dam, badly damaged last month by surging storm waters. It's also racing the clock. Safety experts say there is no time for delay in a state plan to restore the 235-metre Oroville Dam, and they warn California would face a "very significant risk" if a damaged spillway is not in working order by fall, the start of the next rainy season. Source
  • Officials: Sword death of black man in NYC an 'assault' on diversity

    World News CTV News
    New York City officials are calling the death of a black man who they say was repeatedly stabbed with a sword by a white U.S. Army veteran from Baltimore, "an assault" on the city's inclusiveness and diversity. Source
  • Teen accused of helping friend shoot girl in the head

    World News CTV News
    LOGAN, Utah -- A second teenager was ordered to stand trial Wednesday by a juvenile court judge who determined there's sufficient evidence to suggest he helped plan an attack that ended with his friend wounding a girl with a gunshot to the head. Source
  • Indonesian farmers cement feet to protest factory

    World News Toronto Sun
    JAKARTA, Indonesia — About 50 farmers and activists opposed to a cement factory in Indonesia’s Central Java province have encased their feet in concrete during a dayslong protest in Jakarta, the capital. Farmers in the village of Kendeng have battled against plans for the factory for years, saying it could taint their water. Source
  • South Korea raises ferry that sank three years ago

    World News CTV News
    SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of - A 6,800-ton South Korean ferry emerged from the water on Thursday, nearly three years after it capsized and sank into violent seas off the country's southwestern coast, an emotional moment for the country that continues to search for closure to one of its deadliest disasters ever. Source
  • Parents delayed help for wounded boy to scrub evidence, police say

    World News CTV News
    PHOENIX - The parents of a 9-year-old boy who was shot in the head in their Phoenix home put off calling 911 as they cleaned up evidence in multiple rooms of the house, police said Wednesday, calling it a case that "shocks your conscience. Source