Activity detected at North Korean missile test site, official says

WASHINGTON - North Korea may be preparing to launch a rocket or missile, according to a U.S. defence official and expert analysis of commercial satellite imagery.

See Full Article

The analysis published Thursday comes just three weeks after North Korea drew international condemnation for conducted its fourth nuclear test explosion.

The official told The Associated Press the U.S. has seen activity at a ballistic missile test site that is consistent with previous tests, but the official would not go into more detail. The official was not authorized to speak publicly on the matter and requested anonymity.

The North Korea-focused website, 38 North, said it has detected what could be the early stages of preparation for launching a space launch vehicle at the nation's main rocket launch site at Sohae. It based its findings Thursday on satellite imagery taken this week.

North Korea fired its first rocket into space from Sohae, on its west coast, in December 2012, sending into orbit a satellite that soon malfunctioned. The North has said it has the right to launch rockets any time for its space program, but such long-range launches have drawn UN sanctions because similar technology can be used for development of ballistic missiles.

The UN Security Council is deliberating over how to respond to the Jan. 6 underground nuclear explosion. The U.S. is pressing for tighter sanctions - a step that China, the North's only ally, appears reluctant to take.

Governments and experts have been skeptical about North Korea's claim it tested a hydrogen bomb, but whatever device the North detonated, it will likely push the country a step closer toward its goal of manufacturing a miniaturized warhead to place on a missile that can threaten the U.S. mainland. A major launch would only deepen those concerns.

Initial word of a possible launch came Wednesday. The Japanese news agency, Kyodo, cited an unnamed Japanese government source as saying that satellite imagery analysis showed the North may be readying to fire a long-range ballistic missile from Sohae, and that the launch could occur in about a week at the earliest.

The 38 North analysis said a rocket test in the coming week appeared unlikely. Imagery from Monday showed vehicles or equipment and personnel near the rocket launch tower, but a rocket wasn't visible. The website said there's a high level of uncertainty about what snapshots of activity at the launch pad offered by the commercial imagery indicate.

State Department spokesman Mark Toner declined to comment Thursday on the reports of preparations for a missile test, saying it was an intelligence matter.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Istanbul's Pride march to go ahead despite governor's ban

    World News CTV News
    ISTANBUL -- Activists for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and intersex rights said they will march for LGBT pride in Istanbul on Sunday, despite a ban by the governor. Organizers of the 2017 Istanbul LGBTI Pride called for the gathering to begin at 5 p.m. Source
  • 'I could hear people screaming'; Oil tanker explodes in Pakistan, killing 153 who tried to gather leaking fuel [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    BAHAWALPUR, Pakistan — An overturned oil tanker burst into flames in Pakistan on Sunday, killing 153 people who had rushed to the scene of the highway accident to gather leaking fuel, a hospital official said as the death toll continued to rise. Source
  • UK: All building cladding samples tested failed fire safety

    World News CTV News
    LONDON -- Britain's government urged local officials across the country Sunday to urgently submit samples of tower block cladding after tests found that all samples tested so far have failed fire safety standards. In London, officials tried Sunday to complete the evacuation of hundreds of apartments in four towers deemed unsafe, but faced resistance as several families refused to budge. Source
  • Turkey's Erdogan rejects Arab demands; troops to stay in Qatar

    World News CTV News
    ISTANBUL -- Turkey's president on Sunday rejected a demand by major Arab states to remove Turkish troops from Qatar, saying their sweeping list of ultimatums has threatened the small Gulf country's sovereignty. Speaking after Eid al-Fitr prayers in Istanbul, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan called the demand "disrespectful" and said Turkey would not seek permission from others when making its defenceco-operation agreements. Source
  • No winning ticket for Saturday night's $9.4M Lotto 649 jackpot

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- No winning ticket was sold for the $9.4 million jackpot in Saturday night's Lotto 649 draw. However, the guaranteed $1 million prize was claimed by a ticket holder in Ontario. The jackpot for the next Lotto 649 draw on June 28 will be approximately $12 million. Source
  • Trudeau to march in Toronto Pride Parade today

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will march in Canada's largest Pride parade today. Trudeau, who became the first sitting prime minister to march in a Pride parade during last year's event, will be joined by other dignitaries including Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne and Assembly of First Nations Chief Perry Bellegarde and more than 150 groups and organizations. Source
  • Talks continue between Ontario's liquor board and workers

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Talks are continuing today between the Liquor Control Board of Ontario and its workers, who have threatened to go on strike at one minute past midnight. But there's no word on how the talks between the LCBO and the Ontario Public Service Employees Union are going. Source
  • Vehicle crashes into pedestrians in Newcastle, U.K.; terrorism not suspected

    World News CTV News
    LONDON -- Six people, including three children, were injured after a car ran into pedestrians outside a Newcastle sports center where people were reportedly gathered to celebrate the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr. Police said the incident was not believed to be terror-related. Source
  • Ten bodies found, scores missing in massive China landslide

    World News CTV News
    MAO COUNTY, China -- Rescuers recovered 10 bodies and were still searching for 93 other people on Sunday, a day after a massive landslide buried a picturesque mountain village in southwestern China. More than 2,500 rescuers with detection devices and dogs were looking for signs of life amid the rubble of huge boulders that rained down on Xinmo village in Sichuan province early Saturday. Source
  • Overturned oil tanker explodes in Pakistan, killing 153

    World News CTV News
    BAHAWALPUR , Pakistan -- An overturned oil tanker burst into flames in Pakistan on Sunday, killing 153 people who had rushed to the scene of the highway accident to gather leaking fuel, a hospital official said as the death toll continued to rise. Source