Chinese ship with advanced sonar to help with search for MH370

CANBERRA, Australia - A Chinese ship equipped with advanced sonar equipment will soon join the search for the Malaysian airliner believed to have crashed in the southern Indian Ocean almost two years ago, an official said on Friday.

See Full Article

The Dong Hai Jiu 101 will leave Singapore on Sunday to join the hunt for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 over a 120,000-square- kilometre expanse of deep seabed by late February, Australian Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss said.

The ship brings the state-of-the-art Synthetic Aperture Sonar (SAS), which some experts say is more accurate than standard 75 kHz side-scan sonar devises that have been used to scan most of the area searched so far.

With standard acoustic sonar, the image becomes less clear the farther a seabed object is from the equipment. But with SAS, the image remains sharp regardless of an object's distance.

Fugro Survey, the Dutch underwater survey company hired by Australia to find the Boeing 777, has defended its choice of sonar and maintains the search has been thorough.

Fugro search director Paul Kennedy has described SAS as developing technology with some questions about its reliability. Because the search was in such a remote region, Fugro opted for established technology with ready supplies of spare parts.

The Dong Hai Jiu 101 will join two Fugro ships, Furgo Discovery and Furgo Equator, which will continue to search with standard sonar equipment. The Fugro Discovery lost its sonar unit plus 4.5 kilometres of cable at the weekend when the ship towed the equipment into an underwater volcano. The ship was headed back to the Australian port of Fremantle to collect new cable to deploy with a spare sonar unit.

A fourth ship, Havila Harmony, is equipped with a manoeuvrable deep-sea drone that has been fitted with a camera and high-resolution sonar for searching difficult terrain and for taking a closer look at potential clues. The drone was also recently damaged when it struck a fish net but has been repaired.

The ProSAS-60 sonar equipment aboard the Chinese ship will be operated by marine services companies Phoenix International Holdings, based in Maryland, and Seattle-based Hydrospheric Solutions. Both companies gained experience searching for Flight 370 when they operated Go Phoenix, a ship which was contracted by Malaysia to take part in the search for eight months until June last year.

More than 85,000 square kilometres of the search area have been scoured since late 2014. The Chinese ship is the first time China has agreed to share the financial cost of the search with Malaysia and Australia. Truss on Friday thanked China for the contribution.

Most of the 239 people aboard Flight 370 were Chinese.

The plane vanished on March 8, 2014, after mysteriously flying far off course during a flight from Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia to Beijing. A wing flap found in July on the other side of the Indian Ocean when it washed up on Reunion Island is the only debris recovered.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • N.S. political leaders enter final stretch of campaigning ahead of vote Tuesday

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- Nova Scotia's political leaders are back on the campaign trail today as they enter the final stretch before Tuesday's election. Liberal Premier Stephen McNeil is staying close to the Halifax area, while Progressive Conservative Jamie Baillie is hitting several ridings spreading out from Bedford to Amherst. Source
  • Tractor-trailer crashes into famed Nevada brothel

    World News CTV News
    LAS VEGAS -- A man wearing body armour and a mask backed a tractor-trailer through the gate of the Moonlite Bunny Ranch before dawn Thursday and crashed it into the front door of the famed Nevada brothel featured in the CatHouse reality television show, according to authorities and the brothel's owner. Source
  • Militants open fire on bus carrying Christians in Egypt, killing at least 26

    World News CTV News
    CAIRO -- Masked gunmen opened fire on a bus carrying Coptic Christians south of the Egyptian capital on Friday, killing at least 26 people, including children, and wounding 25, officials said. No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, which came on the eve of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. Source
  • Manchester terrorist Salman Abedi filmed taking bins out months before horrific attack on concert

    World News Toronto Sun
    LONDON — He was quiet and withdrawn, a college dropout who liked soccer — and, some say, showed alarming signs of being radicalized years before he walked into a pop concert at Britain’s Manchester Arena and detonated a powerful bomb, killing himself and 22 others. Source
  • 'Terrified' Houdini of Alabama death row Tommy Arthur put to death after averting seven attempts

    World News Toronto Sun
    ATMORE, Ala. — A man once dubbed the “Houdini” of Alabama’s death row after averting seven prior execution dates was put to death Friday, capping years of litigation challenging the humaneness of lethal injection. Tommy Arthur, 75, was pronounced dead at 12:15 a.m. Source
  • Why this N.S. community wants to 'up the priority' on a Lyme disease vaccine

    Canada News CBC News
    There's trouble in Paddy Lounsbury's paradise. The Nova Scotia woman lives on a picturesque property just outside Mahone Bay that's surrounded by forest and has a view of the ocean. What worries her these days is what she can't see crawling in the grass and waiting in her pine trees. Source
  • Trump meeting with G7 leaders after going on offensive

    World News CTV News
    TAORMINA, Italy -- In the Middle East, U.S. President Donald Trump was feted with pageantry, the leaders of Saudi Arabia and Israel seemingly in competition to outdo the other with the warmth of their welcomes and the depth of their pledges of co-operation. Source
  • Republican Gianforte wins Montana race after assault charge

    World News CTV News
    BOZEMAN, Mont. -- Greg Gianforte spent the day of his greatest political victory out of sight, avoiding questions about the assault charge filed against him on the eve of a congressional race that some cast as a referendum on Donald Trump's presidency. Source
  • New arrest in Manchester blast investigation

    World News CTV News
    MANCHESTER, England -- British police investigating the Manchester Arena bombing made a new arrest Friday while continuing to search addresses associated with the attacker who killed 22 people. Seven other men are in custody in connection with Monday's blast, all are being held on suspicion of offences violating the Terrorism Act. Source
  • U.K. opposition leader links terror to foreign wars

    World News CTV News
    MANCHESTER, England -- British police investigating the Manchester Arena bombing made a new arrest Friday while continuing to search addresses associated with the attacker who killed 22 people. Seven other men are in custody in connection with Monday's blast, all are being held on suspicion of offences violating the Terrorism Act. Source