Syrian peace talks unlikely to begin Friday, opposition says

GENEVA -- A Syrian opposition figure said Thursday that indirect peace talks between the government and opposition are unlikely to begin on Friday for "technical reasons," adding that his group has named a second opposition list to be part of the talks.

See Full Article

One of the major stumbling blocks ahead of peace talks scheduled to begin in Geneva Friday has been determining which groups from Syria's opposition will be allowed a seat at the negotiating table.

Haitham Manna, co-president of the Arab and Kurdish group known as the Syrian Democratic Council, told The Associated Press in the Swiss city of Lausanne that his group and their allies have named their own list of opposition participants, separate from the list named in Saudi Arabia, a move that is likely to anger the Saudi-backed opposition.

"We finished our list and we have what we can call the Democratic Secular Syrian list," Manna said without elaborating what groups it includes and whether the main Kurdish faction in Syria, the Democratic Union Party or PYD, is part of it. Turkey is strongly opposed to the PYD participating in the talks. He said the list includes 15 "essential" members and 15 others as supporting team.

Manna had said earlier he would boycott the talks if the PYD is not taking part.

Asked Thursday whether the talks would kick off Friday, as envisioned by the UN Syria envoy, Manna said: "I don't think so, for technical reasons now it's impossible." He did not elaborate.

The Saudi-backed opposition bloc known as the Higher Negotiating Committee, which will be the main bloc in the talks, says that before it participates in the Geneva talks the government should stop bombardments and allow humanitarian access to besieged rebel-held areas.

One Syrian opposition figure whose group is part of the Saudi-backed list said "it will be very difficult to hold the talks on Friday," adding that many opposition figures still haven't obtained visas or made reservations to come to Geneva. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

The Saudi-backed list is still holding meetings in Saudi Arabia and is expected to announce Thursday whether they will participate or not. On Wednesday, they said they were unlikely to attend Geneva peace talks this week unless progress is made toward lifting sieges in the country and other conditions are met, adding that they were awaiting clarifications from UN Special Envoy to Syria Staffan de Mistura.

Another opposition figure, Ahmad Ramadan, said the opposition's meetings in the Saudi capital, Riyadh, were "ongoing" and they are still waiting for a reply from the UN chief on a letter they sent him a day earlier asking the Security Council to implement its own resolutions with regards to halting bombardment of civilian areas and lifting blockades on besieged areas.

"There is a decision to participate in any negotiations that might alleviate Syrian suffering, but we are asking for clarifications about our concerns," Ramadan said. "We expect there to be at least a mechanism for implementing UN Security Council clauses that have to do with humanitarian issues."

"If the UN is unable to implement a resolution that 15 countries voted on unanimously, how do they expect to move the peace process forward?" he asked.

Ramadan added that he did not expect any of the Saudi-backed opposition people to be in Geneva by Friday, saying nobody is on their way. "Everyone is still waiting," he said.

Associated Press writers Zeina Karam in Beirut and Bassam Hatoum in Lausanne, Switzerland contributed to this report



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • UN chief: Saudi coalition attacks killed children in Yemen

    World News CTV News
    Secretary-General Antonio Guterres says in a draft report that the Saudi-led coalition was responsible for more than half the children killed and injured in Yemen's civil war last year. The report, obtained Thursday by The Associated Press, said the United Nations verified 1,340 casualties and attributed 683 -- representing 51 per cent -- to attacks carried out by the coalition. Source
  • What we know so far about the terror attack in Barcelona

    World News CTV News
    What we know so far about the terror attack in Barcelona Barcelona attack: Van driver kills 13, injures 100 Source
  • Quebec's debate on religious accommodation turns to buses, subway

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Quebec's public transportation systems are the latest target in the ongoing debate in the province over religion and identity. Neither Montreal's transit authority nor unions representing bus and subway drivers wanted to comment Thursday on speculation that women wearing the Islamic niqab or burqa will be prevented from using public transportation. Source
  • In light and darkness, cities pay tribute to Barcelona victims

    World News CTV News
    Cities across the world used their landmarks to pay respect to those killed in a deadly van attack in one of Barcelona’s busiest districts on Thursday. In some cases, global landmarks were lit up in red and yellow, the colours of the Spanish flag. Source
  • Some New Brunswick lobster fishermen park boats in protest of low prices

    Canada News CTV News
    SHEDIAC, N.B. -- Some lobster fishermen in eastern New Brunswick tied up their boats and remained onshore Thursday in a protest over the prices they're getting for lobster. Fishermen in ports such as Pointe-Sapin and Richibucto remained at the docks, saying landings are down and prices are low. Source
  • 'You could see all the bodies lying through Las Ramblas'; At least 13 killed after van plows into pedestrians in ISIS-claimed Barcelona attack [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    BARCELONA, Spain — A white van jumped the sidewalk Thursday in Barcelona’s historic Las Ramblas district, crashing into a summer crowd of residents and tourists and injuring several people, police said. In a photograph shown by public broadcaster RTVE, three people were lying on the ground in the street of the northern Spanish city Thursday afternoon, apparently being helped by police and others. Source
  • Alberta trade minister says NAFTA talks no threat to oil and gas industry

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- Alberta's minister of trade says Canada's oil and gas industry has little to worry about as wide-ranging North American trade negotiations get underway. Speaking Thursday after a conference of state governments in Tacoma, Wash. Source
  • Amid the Washington circus, there’s boring NAFTA

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    So many distractions. Confederate statues in the United States are being toppled like chess pieces in the wake of hard-left-hard-right rioting in Charlottesville, Va. This provoked a double tweet from President Donald Trump. Part 1: “Sad to see the history and culture of our great country being ripped apart with the removal of our beautiful statues and monuments. Source
  • Federal government program to match funds for East Africa garners $21.3M in donations

    Canada News CBC News
    International Development Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau says a federal program to match donations for the East African famine generated $21.3 million from Canadians. The amount is one of the smallest responses to a Canadian government matching donation program since they initiated the idea for the Indian Ocean tsunami in 2004 — and at least one aid agency thinks the distraction of the political drama in the United States might bear some of the blame. Source
  • Deal reached in landmark lawsuit over harsh CIA interrogations

    World News CTV News
    SPOKANE, Wash. -- A settlement has been reached in a landmark lawsuit that the American Civil Liberties Union brought against two psychologists involved in designing the CIA's harsh interrogation program used in the war on terror. Source