Australian accused of planning to load kangaroo with explosives in terror plot

MELBOURNE, Australia - A teenage suspect discussed with a British accomplice packing a kangaroo with explosives before setting it loose on Australian police officers, prosecutors alleged on Thursday.

See Full Article

Sevdet Ramadan Besim was ordered in the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Thursday to stand trial in the Victoria state Supreme Court on charges that he planned an Islamic State group-inspired terrorist attack at a Veterans' Day ceremony that included targeting police officers in April last year.

Besim, 19, pleaded not guilty to four charges relating to a plot to attack commemorative services in Melbourne or the neighbouring city of Dandenong to mark ANZAC Day, the annual April 25 commemoration of the 1915 Gallipoli landings in Turkey. The campaign was the first major military action fought by the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps during World War I and hundreds of thousands attend commemoration services around Australia. Besim faces a potential life sentence in prison if convicted.

Besim and four alleged conspirators were arrested in Melbourne a week before ANZAC Day. He has been in custody since.

Prosecutors alleged in court documents that Besim discussed with a British-based accomplice in online conversations that a kangaroo could be packed with explosives, painted with "the IS symbol" and set loose on police.

Besim was also accused of planning to use a car to run over, then behead, a police officer.

Besim allegedly said in online communications he was "ready to fight these dogs on there (sic) doorstep."

"I'd love to take out some cops," Besim is alleged to have written. "I was gonna meet with them then take some heads."

Police allege Besim was motivated by an extremist ideology and had expressed support for terrorist organizations, particularly the Islamic State movement.

A British court in October sentenced a 15-year-old boy from Blackburn, northwestern England, for his part in the ANZAC Day plot.

In passing sentence in the Manchester Crown Court, Judge John Saunders said the teenager, who can't be named because of his age, would only be released when he was no longer a danger to the public. Saunders handed down a life sentence with no chance of parole for five years.


Latest Canada & World News

  • Tech issues mean no online literacy test for Ont. high school students

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Tens of thousands of Ontario high school students were unable to take their first online literacy test Thursday because of widespread technical issues. The Education Quality and Accountability Office pulled the plug on the "voluntary" online test for which most of the province's 900 secondary schools had signed up Online literacy test cancelled in Ontario due to widespread technical issueso participate. Source
  • Construction must begin on road after isolated reserve's ferry breaks down: chief

    Canada News CTV News
    SHOAL LAKE, Man. -- The chief of an isolated reserve under one of Canada's longest boil-water advisories says construction on a road linking his community to the outside world must begin now. Shoal Lake 40 First Nation straddles the Ontario-Manitoba boundary and was cut off from the mainland a century ago to build an aqueduct which supplies fresh water to Winnipeg. Source
  • Judge calls for changes to pool supervision after boy drowns

    Canada News CTV News
    EDMONTON -- An Edmonton judge says more changes are needed to protect children in swimming pools following the death of a seven-year-old boy. A fatality inquiry report says there have been several improvements based on earlier investigations into the drowning at O'Leary Leisure Centre in July 2012. Source
  • New head on statue of Jesus puts spotlight on Ontario church

    Canada News CTV News
    A statue of baby Jesus got a facelift after it was vandalized in northern Ontario -- and the result is turning heads. The Ste. Anne des Pins parish in Sudbury, Ont., says the statue, which was beheaded by unknown vandals a year ago, was recently fitted with a temporary clay head crafted by a local artist. Source
  • Woman facing deportation issues plea to stay in Canada

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- A young mother facing deportation to the U.K. after spending much of her life in Canada issued a plea Thursday to be allowed to stay in the country she considers home, a day before her strange saga goes before a hearing that may determine her fate. Source
  • Donald Trump says he would accept 'a clear' election result, but challenge a 'questionable' one

    World News CBC News
    Republican Donald Trump on Thursday said he would accept a "clear" election result but reserved the right to file a legal challenge, clarifying his stance a day after he refused to promise he would trust the outcome if he loses on Nov. Source
  • Father of twin boys killed in bobsled crash speaks about 'dreadful idea'

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- The father of twin brothers who died in an after-hours accident sliding down a luge-bobsled track calls it a dreadful idea that took shape when his sons were out with a youth group. Source
  • Postmedia to cut staffing costs by 20%

    Canada News CBC News
    Postmedia Network Canada Corp. says its intends to reduce staffing costs again as the company reported lower revenue and a deeper quarterly net loss. The company, which currently has about 4,000 employees, says it plans to cut costs through staff buyouts over the next few weeks, adding that layoffs are possible if its target isn't met. Source
  • Caught on video: Shark bites through divers' air supply

    World News Toronto Sun
    A diver's worst nightmare was recently caught on camera. Terrifying new footage shows the moment a great white shark bit through a group of divers' air supply and become stuck in the metal cage meant to protect them. Source
  • Man convicted of biting off fellow mourner's nose at wake

    Canada News CTV News
    PICTOU, N.S. -- A Nova Scotia judge has convicted a man of aggravated assault for biting off part of a fellow mourner's nose in a drunken brawl at a wake. Judge Del Atwood found Randall Edwin MacLean guilty of aggravated assault, but made it clear many people behaved badly at the 2014 wake in downtown Pictou, N.S. Source