Suicide bombers kill 9 in Chibok home of kidnapped girls

LAGOS, Nigeria -- Five female suicide bombers exploded in the Chibok hometown of Nigeria's kidnapped schoolgirls on Wednesday, killing nine people and wounding 32, witnesses said.

See Full Article

Soldiers were searching the northeastern town late Wednesday for two other women seen with the bombers and also suspected to be strapped with explosives, according to teacher Emmanuel Cosmos.

One of three wounded soldiers died in the hospital later Wednesday, according to a nurse who spoke on condition of anonymity because she was not authorized to speak to journalists.

A man at the scene said the blasts with shrapnel zapping through the air began when soldiers stopped a young women covered in a hijab for a routine search at the entrance to the open-air, roadside vegetable market in the northeast Nigerian town. She blew herself up. Then three women already inside the market exploded in quick succession. He insisted on anonymity for fear of reprisals.

Another blast occurred at a military checkpoint at the entrance to Chibok, according to witnesses and community leader Tsambo Hosea Abana. He said relatives called him in Abuja, Nigeria's capital, to tell him that his niece and uncle are among the wounded.

Residents blamed Boko Haram, the Islamic extremist group that kidnapped nearly 300 Chibok schoolgirls in April 2014. Dozens escaped but 219 remain missing. Chibok is a Christian enclave in Nigeria's predominantly Muslim north.

The plight of the girls brought Boko Haram international attention. The failure to rescue the schoolgirls contributed to the election defeat last year of former President Goodluck Jonathan. The militants have said some of the girls have converted to Islam and threatened to sell them into slavery. It also said some have been married to its fighters.

There has been no further news of the girls, though there are reports some were carried across Nigeria's borders.

President Muhammadu Buhari has said he is willing to negotiate their release in exchange for detained militants but that his government has been unable to identify a credible leader for such talks.

Boko Haram's increasing use of girls and young women as suicide bombers has raised fears the militants are using captives as weapons.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • ISIS radio show sorts jihadist problems

    World News Toronto Sun
    Even terrorists have problems and death cult ISIS is here to help. The terrorist organization’s radio station has launched a new program to assist struggling killers with their personal problems. The show, called Fatwas Over the Airwaves, features a host, along with Muslim clerics answering listeners queries on lust and what is permissible under religious law. Source
  • Vancouver police traffic stop uncovers 56 kilos of cocaine

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- A traffic stop by Vancouver police has resulted in a large cocaine bust. Police say patrol officers stopped a SUV with two people inside on Tuesday after they saw some suspicious behaviour. Source
  • Trump taps retired Marine general John Kelly for DHS

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — President-elect Donald Trump has chosen retired Marine Gen. John Kelly, whose last command included oversight of the Guantanamo Bay detention centre, to run the Department of Homeland Security, people close to the transition team said Wednesday. Source
  • Reputed mobster and 'Sopranos' inspiration pleads guilty in plot to kill crime rival

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEWARK, N.J. — A Nevada man who authorities say is a member of the New Jersey crime family believed to be the model for HBO’s “The Sopranos” has admitted plotting the death of an organized crime rival. Source
  • 2 juveniles charged in Tennessee wildfire that killed 14, including 2 Canadians

    World News CTV News
    SEVIERVILLE, Tenn. -- Authorities have charged two juveniles for starting an East Tennessee wildfire that killed 14 people and destroyed or damaged more than 1,700 buildings. Canadians John Tegler, 71, and Marilyn Tegler, 70, were among those who died in the fire. Source
  • 2 NYC toddlers die after steam burns possibly caused by radiator

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — Authorities say two toddlers have died after suffering steam burns in a New York City apartment, and investigators are looking into whether a radiator malfunctioned. The New York Police Department says the 1- and 2-year-old girls were taken at around noon Wednesday from the Bronx apartment to a hospital, where they were pronounced dead. Source
  • Canada's record on First Nations child welfare to face scrutiny in Washington

    Canada News CBC News
    Canada's treatment of First Nations children will be debated on the world stage Friday, with the federal government poised to appear before the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights in Washington to defend the current state of the child welfare system. Source
  • Pakistani court indicts brother of model over honour killing

    World News CTV News
    MULTAN, Pakistan - A government prosecutor says a court in central Pakistan has indicted the brother of slain model Qandeel Baloch for killing her in the name of honour. Jam Salahuddin said Wednesday that two other people who helped Waseem Azeem, Baloch's brother, to strangle her in July have also been indicted. Source
  • Former porn queen Jenna Jameson has a 'massive crush' on Israel's Benjamin Netanyahu

    World News Toronto Sun
    Former porn queen Jenna Jameson got into a war of words with former KKK poohbah David Duke over her “massive crush” on Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Jameson -- star of Deep Inside Jenna Jameson, Incredible Jenna Jameson and Jenna Jameson Untamed -- called the Israeli PM a “complete bada--. Source
  • City officials: Congress shortchanging NYC on Trump security

    World News CTV News
    New York City's mayor and other Democratic officials said Wednesday that Congress was proposing to pitch in far too little for protecting Trump Tower: $7 million, a fifth of what New York requested. "New York City taxpayers should not be on the hook for 80 per cent of the national bill" to protect President-elect Donald Trump and his family, Mayor Bill de Blasio said in a statement calling for Congress to "step up" in coming months. Source