Iran says it warned U.S. warship to leave drill area

TEHRAN, Iran -- Iran's navy warned a U.S. warship to leave an area where Iran has been conducting a naval drill near the narrow Strait of Hormuz at the mouth of the Persian Gulf, the semi-official Fars news agency reported Wednesday.

See Full Article

The U.S. Navy denied that its operations in the region were affected.

The Iranian navy chief, Adm. Habibollah Sayyari, was quoted as saying that the U.S. warship received two warnings before leaving the region.

"They were warned once by maritime patrol aircraft and once again by the Alborz destroyer," he said. "The U.S. warship left the region immediately after receiving the warning," he added, saying he believed that the Americans had approached the area to "learn our tactics."

Iran said the naval drill got underway Wednesday over an area of 3 million square kilometres, including part of the Strait of Hormuz, through which one fifth of the world oil supply passes, as well as the Gulf of Oman and neighbouring parts of the Indian Ocean. It is the first Iranian naval exercise since 10 U.S. sailors were briefly captured by Iran earlier this month after drifting into Iranian territorial waters.

Cmdr. Kevin Stephens, a spokesman for the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet, offered a different version of events.

Stephens said the U.S. is aware of the Iranian exercise and that it has not altered U.S. naval operations in any way. Iran had announced plans to close off certain areas for the drill, but he said this is "common practice for any navy conducting such training at sea," he said.

"Our forces similarly announce closure areas for our training events. We do not consider such announcements to be 'orders,"' Stephens said.

Iran conducts similar exercises annually and the U.S. does not see this year's as a change in Iranian behaviour, Stephens added.

He said the exercise may increase the chances of U.S. forces interacting with Iranian warships, but added that U.S. Navy vessels are routinely approached by Iranian warships as they operate in the region. Most of those encounters are conducted "in a safe and professional manner, recent events notwithstanding," he said.

The 5th Fleet is the U.S. Navy's regional counterweight to Iran and is based across the Gulf from Iran in the island kingdom of Bahrain.

On Tuesday, Sayyari said many types of missiles and torpedoes will be launched during the manoeuvrs.

Iran occasionally holds military manoeuvrs to ensure the preparedness of its forces and to demonstrate its military capabilities in the region. The county has more than 2,000 kilometres of shoreline facing the Persian Gulf and the Sea of Oman.

Associated Press writer Adam Schreck in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, contributed to this report


Latest Canada & World News

  • Explosion in Turkish resort town Antalya: reports

    World News CTV News
    ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish media reports say an explosion has occurred in the parking lot of the local chamber of trade in the Mediterranean resort of Antalya. The private Dogan news agency says the cause of Tuesday's explosion is not immediately known. Source
  • Australian theme park accident kills 4

    World News CBC News
    Four people were killed on Tuesday in an accident at a popular theme park on Australia's east coast, officials said. Two men and two women died while on a river rapids ride at Dreamworld, said Miche Paterson, a spokeswoman for the park, located on Queensland state's Gold Coast. Source
  • 4 killed on river rapids ride at Australian theme park: officials

    World News CTV News
    SYDNEY, Australia - Four people were killed on Tuesday in an accident at a popular theme park on Australia's east coast, officials said. Two men and two women died while on a river rapids ride at Dreamworld, said Miche Paterson, a spokeswoman for the park, located on Queensland state's Gold Coast. Source
  • Ohio Zoo improves exhibit barrier following Harambe death

    World News Toronto Sun
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS First posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 01:29 AM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 01:31 AM EDT Source
  • Hong Kong court sees chilling video describing torture banker committed

    World News CTV News
    HONG KONG - A jury in Hong Kong watched chilling video Tuesday of a British banker describing how he tortured and killed an Indonesian woman he met in a bar, saying he repeatedly raped her and "tortured her badly. Source
  • Authorities find no sign of braking by tour bus driver in crash

    World News Toronto Sun
    PALM SPRINGS, Calif. — Ana Car didn’t remember the sudden impact, only that she woke up among dead and injured passengers in a dark bus filled with screams of terror and agony. The retired factory worker had spent an evening gambling at a desert casino and was sound asleep when the bus heading to Los Angeles smashed into the rear of a slow-moving tractor-trailer. Source
  • 'I don't tweet at 3 a.m. about people who insult me': Obama shades Trump on Kimmel

    World News CBC News
    President Barack Obama on Monday trolled Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump — known for his prolific use of Twitter to settle scores — making Trump the punch line for jokes on ABC's late-night show Jimmy Kimmel Live. Source
  • Russia, Saudi Arabia don't belong on UN human rights council: Human Rights Watch

    World News CTV News
    The candidacies of Saudi Arabia and Russia for the UN's top human rights body are compromised by their actions in Yemen and Syria respectively, where they have been accused of unlawful attacks on civilians, a prominent rights group said Tuesday. Source
  • Surfer postpones honeymoon after shark attack in Maui

    World News CTV News
    HONOLULU - A surfer says he's grateful to be recovering in a Maui hospital after a shark bit him - even though the attack forced him and his wife to postpone their honeymoon. Federico Jaime was surfing Friday at a beach about two blocks from his Paia home when he felt a shark chomp down on his left arm, he recalled Monday from his room at Maui Memorial Medical Center. Source
  • Edmonton soldier sentenced to seven years in prison for sex crimes

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    A tearful Edmonton soldier who admitted getting sexual favours from his underage stepdaughter in exchange for extended curfews was sentenced Monday to seven years in prison. The 39-year-old, who cannot be named to protect the identity of the victim, pleaded guilty to two counts of sexual exploitation, two counts of luring a child and one count of possessing child porn. Source