UN launches appeal for $393M in humanitarian aid for Afghanistan

KABUL - The United Nations launched an appeal on Wednesday for $393 million in humanitarian aid to Afghanistan to help millions of vulnerable people this year.

See Full Article

The UN's humanitarian co-ordinator in Afghanistan, Mark Bowden, and the country's chief executive, Abdullah Abdullah, launched the appeal in a live national television broadcast.

The 2016 Humanitarian Response Plan for Afghanistan targets millions of people in need of food and other essentials, including shelter, health care, nutrition, safe water and other necessities, Abdullah said.

He said he was hopeful that donor countries would match their commitments of previous years to assist and support the country's most vulnerable.

Bowden called on the international community to "redouble" its efforts and deliver "ever increasing levels of assistance" over the coming 12 months.

Afghanistan is one of the world's poorest countries, and regularly suffers natural disasters like earthquakes and storms that displace people from their homes and contribute to widespread hunger.

Between January and November 2015 more than 300,000 Afghans fled their homes due to conflict, a 160 per cent increase on the same period in 2014, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said in a statement.

On Oct. 26 last year, a powerful earthquake struck northeastern Badakhshan province leaving around 130,000 people in need of humanitarian assistance.

In a separate development, four men clearing mines and unexploded ordinance in the Gereshk district of southern Helmand province were killed by Taliban insurgents on Wednesday, the provincial governor's spokesman, Omar Zawaq, said.

Mine clearance workers are regularly targeted, and often either killed or kidnapped, across Afghanistan by Taliban-linked gunmen.

----------

Associated Press writer Mirwais Khan in Kandahar, Afghanistan contributed to this story.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Foreign media arrive for North Korea nuclear site closing

    World News CTV News
    WONSAN, Korea, Democratic People's Republic Of - Foreign journalists have arrived in North Korea to cover the dismantling of the country's nuclear test site later this week. South Korean media initially scheduled to join were not allowed onto Tuesday's charter flight from Beijing. Source
  • Depression preceded fatal crash into N.C. restaurant, pastor says

    World News CTV News
    BESSEMER CITY, N.C. - A North Carolina man accused of crashing a car into a restaurant table full of loved ones, killing two, had suffered for weeks with depression and previously asked his family to take his guns away, his pastor says. Source
  • Australian archbishop convicted of child sex abuse cover-up

    World News CBC News
    An Australian archbishop who was the most senior Roman Catholic cleric in the world charged with covering up child sex abuse was convicted Tuesday and faces a potential two years in prison. Magistrate Robert Stone handed down the verdict against Archbishop of Adelaide Philip Wilson in Newcastle Local Court, north of Sydney, following a magistrate-only trial. Source
  • Thousands of Rohingya rape victims expected to give birth

    World News CTV News
    Tens of thousands of pregnant Rohingya women, many of whom are believed to be victims of rape, are expected to give birth in the coming weeks in squalid refugee camps in Bangladesh. Since August 2017, more than 700,000 Rohingya Muslims have fled systematic violence in Buddhist-majority Myanmar for neighbouring Bangladesh in what the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights has labelled a “textbook example of ethnic cleaning. Source
  • What happened to MH370? Canadian duo believe they have the answer

    World News CTV News
    The disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 has baffled investigators for more than four years, but a pair of retired Canadian air crash investigators believe they’ve found the answer. On March 8, 2014, the passenger jet carrying 239 people was travelling from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing but crashed somewhere in the Indian Ocean. Source
  • 13 cottages near Meadow Lake, Sask. destroyed by wildfire

    Canada News CBC News
    The Tuff wildfire still ablaze in central Saskatchewan destroyed all the cottages in one subdivision over the weekend. Wayne Pearson, who owns a property at Flotten Lake, said a spokesperson with the Meadow Lake Provincial Park called him Sunday morning to say all 13 cottages had been destroyed. Source
  • Baboon escapes crate at Texas airport; officers corner him

    World News CTV News
    SAN ANTONIO - A baboon on his way to a South Texas wildlife sanctuary escaped his crate and kept officers busy for two hours at San Antonio International Airport. Officers shot the baboon named Dawkins with a tranquilizer dart. Source
  • Rescuers helped injured B.C. landslide victims through waist-deep mud, debris

    Canada News CBC News
    Gabe Rosescu remembers waking up hanging from his seatbelt, groaning and barely able to see. Before he blacked out, he was travelling down a B.C. highway with his partner, Sheri Niemegeers. Sask. couple swept away by B.C. Source
  • FBI, U.S. Justice Department to 'review' classified info sought by lawmakers

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- The White House said Monday that top FBI and Justice Department officials have agreed to meet with congressional leaders and "review" highly classified information the lawmakers have been seeking as they scrutinize the handling of the Russia investigation. Source
  • Cuban plane crash death toll rises to 111 as 2 survivors still in critical condition

    World News CBC News
    Cuban state media say a 23-year-old survivor of Friday's plane crash in Havana has died, raising the death toll to 111. Gretell Landrove Font died Monday afternoon of extensive injuries suffered in the crash of the Boeing 737 that was rented from a Mexican company by Cuba's national airline, Cubana, state radio and television stations announced. Source