Trump withdraws from Iowa debate, criticising moderator choice

MARSHALLTOWN, Iowa - Republican front-runner Donald Trump on Tuesday bowed out of the final Republican presidential debate before the leadoff Iowa caucuses, saying Fox News moderator Megyn Kelly is "a lightweight.

See Full Article

"

With 48 hours to go before the faceoff, campaign manager Corey Lewandowski confirmed Trump's decision Tuesday evening after a press conference in which Trump lashed out at Kelly and said she'd been "toying" with him.

"He will not be participating in the Fox News debate Thursday," Lewandowski said immediately after the press conference.

Trump, who called his decision "pretty close to irrevocable" in the press conference, said he'd hold an Iowa event at the same time as the debate to raise money for wounded veterans. Iowa hosts the nation's opening presidential nominating contest on Monday.

"With me, they're dealing with somebody that's a little bit different. They can't toy with me like they toy with everybody else," he said. "Let them have their debate and let's see how they do with the ratings."

He added, "Why do I have to make Fox rich?"

On Tuesday night's airing of her Fox News show, "The Kelly File," Kelly said she'll be at the debate, which will "go on with or without Mr. Trump."

In a statement released Tuesday night, a Fox News spokesperson said Trump is still welcome to participate in the debate, but will not be allowed to "dictate the moderators or the questions."

"Capitulating to politicians' ultimatums about a debate moderator violates all journalistic standards," Fox said.

The Republican National Committee said the decision was up to Trump.

"Obviously we would love all of the candidates to participate but each campaign ultimately makes their own decision what's in their best interest," said RNC chief strategist Sean Spicer.

Trump had suggested he might skip the Fox debate earlier in the day, drawing a sarcastic statement from the television network that "the Ayatollah and Putin both intend to treat Donald Trump unfairly when they meet with him if he becomes president."

"A nefarious source tells us that Trump has his own secret plan to replace the Cabinet with his Twitter followers to see if he should even go to those meetings," the Fox statement said.

A Fox spokesman did not immediately respond to Trump's decision.

The New York real estate mogul's presence has helped produce massive ratings in the previous six Republican presidential debates. His decision leaves seven candidates to share the primetime stage on Thursday: Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, Ohio Gov. John Kasich and Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul.

"Let them have their debate. I'm going to raise money during that period of time for the wounded warriors and for the vets. Let Fox play its games," Trump said.

He added, "I don't' think Iowa's gonna care."

Cruz has emerged as the main challenger to Trump in Iowa. At an evening rally, Cruz offered to face Trump in a one-on-one debate anytime. He said Trump was scared of Kelly, telling supporters that skipping the debate was like refusing a job interview.

"If someone did that, didn't show up at the interview, you know what you'd say? You're fired," Cruz said, riffing on Trump's famous rejoinder from his reality TV show "The Apprentice."

At the very least, the high-profile debate feud serves as a major distraction in the Republican contest just six days before Iowa voters cast the first votes in the 2016 primary contest.

Trump has proven to be a master of commanding media attention at key moments. Among other things, he has previously called for a temporary ban on all Muslim immigrants and later questioned Cruz's presidential eligibility given that he was born in Canada.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Trump stands to personally benefit from his own tax plan

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Among the likely winners in President Donald Trump's tax-cut plan would be a real estate developer turned reality TV star who now happens to occupy the White House. The one-page proposal released Wednesday seems sure to benefit the president's businesses. Source
  • Kevin O’Leary says he tried to convince Maxime Bernier to quit Conservative race

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA — Kevin O’Leary may be gone from the Conservative leadership race, but he doesn’t intend to let himself be forgotten. Instead, the reality TV star and businessman said merger talks were held Thursday between his campaign and Maxime Bernier’s to solidify a plan for the pair to work together between now and May 27, when the new leader is chosen. Source
  • U.K. anti-terror police detain man with knives near Parliament

    World News CBC News
    Armed police carrying out a counterterrorism operation Thursday swooped in on a man they said was carrying knives in a bag near Britain's Parliament and arrested him on suspicion of planning an attack. A European security official familiar with the individual said the suspect was known to British security agencies and was thought to have been inspired by ISIS (the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria). Source
  • Five things to know about the Ontario budget delivered Thursday

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Ontario's Liberal government delivered its first balanced budget in a decade on Thursday. Here are five things you need to know about the financial plan: POLITICAL CONTEXT: The $141-billion budget -- which includes measures aimed at youth, seniors, parents, homeowners and anyone who uses the health-care system -- comes as the provincial Liberals prepare for next year's election campaign. Source
  • Ontario budget 2017: Health-care spending up as budget hits balance

    Canada News CBC News
    The Ontario government is celebrating getting the books back to balance with significant investments in health care, including a youth pharmacare program, as detailed in the spring budget unveiled Thursday in Toronto. The governing Liberals have fulfilled their pledge to return to black ink by 2017-18. Source
  • U.S. man claims mouse in Coca-Cola can forced him to miss work

    World News CTV News
    MITCHELL, S.D. -- A South Dakota man who claims to have found a mouse in a can of soda is suing Coca-Cola Co., saying he missed 60 hours of work and accumulated $1,000 in medical bills after becoming ill. Source
  • Christy Clark says all Canadians involved in U.S. softwood offer balked

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- British Columbia's Liberal leader says everyone involved in a potential softwood lumber agreement said No when the United States offered a "lousy" deal that would have cost her province 20,000 forestry jobs. Christy Clark said talks with former president Barack Obama ended because of opposition by the prime minister, the international trade minister and lumber employers in B.C. Source
  • Kevin O'Leary met with Andrew Scheer before backing Maxime Bernier

    Canada News CBC News
    Kevin O'Leary praised Maxime Bernier on Wednesday as the candidate who best "mirrors" his policies, but CBC News has learned the reality TV star also held talks with another Conservative leadership candidate the night before. O'Leary had an extensive face-to-face meeting with Andrew Scheer in Toronto on Tuesday night. Source
  • Two Canadian border agents charged with drug smuggling

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Two Canadian border agents are among five people arrested on suspicion of drug smuggling. RCMP and Canada Border Services Agency say the agents worked out of Toronto's Pearson International Airport. Authorities allege the pair facilitated the importation of more than 30 kilograms of cocaine between January last year and April this year. Source
  • Another court delay for 2 men accused of assaulting Dennis Oland in prison

    Canada News CTV News
    MIRAMICHI, N.B. -- The case of two Halifax men charged with assaulting Dennis Oland in a New Brunswick prison has been delayed yet again. Convicted killer Cody Alexander Muise and Aaron Marriott, who was convicted in a 2008 drug shooting, allegedly attacked Oland at Atlantic Institution in Renous, N.B. Source