Italy covers up nude statues for Iranian president's visit

ROME -- A decision by Italian officials to cover up ancient nude statues to not offend Iran's visiting president is drawing ridicule in Rome.

See Full Article

Ahead of a news conference Monday with Premier Matteo Renzi and Iranian President Hassan Rouhani, wooden panels were erected around some Roman statues in Rome's Capitoline Museums.

When images of the coverup made the Italian media Tuesday, politicians from across the spectrum decried and derided the decision.

The museum said Tuesday that the premier's office wanted the statues along Rouhani's path to the news conference covered up. Renzi's office declined to comment.

Renzi and Rouhani spoke in a room featuring the famed bronze statue of Emperor Marcus Aurelius, fully clothed.

Among those heaping criticism on Renzi Tuesday was politician Gianluca Peciola, from the far-left SEL party, who announced a petition drive to demand that the premier explain a choice it considers "a shame and mortification for art and culture understood as universal concepts."

On the far-right, Brothers of Italy party leader Giorgia Meloni said that the "level of cultural submission" by Renzi "has surpassed every limit of decency." She recalled what for many was a dismaying precedent -- the draping of a modern nude statue when the crown prince of United Arab Emirates visited Palazzo Vecchio, the city hall in Renzi's home region.

During this week's meeting in Rome, Renzi and Rouhani committed to strengthening cultural ties. The premier's office noted that Rome's MAXXI museum is interested in putting on a show of works from Tehran's museum of contemporary art.

After Rome, Rouhani heads to Paris. Last fall, an unsourced French radio report said the Iranian leader had cancelled a lunch at the French presidential palace because the palace refused to offer a halal menu without wine. The palace insisted such a lunch had never been planned.

That European trip was scratched after the Nov. 13 attacks in Paris.

Rouhani's schedule for this trip includes no meals with French officialdom.

Colleen Barry in Milan and Angela Charlton in Paris contributed.


Latest Canada & World News

  • Cubs beat Dodgers, advance to World Series for 1st time in 71 years

    World News CBC News
    Cursed by a Billy Goat, bedeviled by Bartman and crushed by decades of disappointment, the Chicago Cubs are at long last headed back to the World Series. Kyle Hendricks outpitched Clayton Kershaw, Anthony Rizzo and Willson Contreras homered early and the Cubs won their first pennant since 1945, beating the Los Angeles Dodgers 5-0 Saturday night in Game 6 of the NL Championship Series. Source
  • SHERRING: Tots with cancer spells stress – and many extra bills

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    In a perfect world, with life as it should be, kids would just never get cancer. In Lisa Garland’s life, that’s not the way things unfolded. In fact, Garland and her husband Nino Filoso have two sons and somehow both boys were struck with cancer, two different types — and no predisposed or genetic reason to relate them. Source
  • 'It’s here again': Strong winds, rain spark flood worries on Cape Breton Island

    Canada News CTV News
    Strong winds and heavy rain pounded Cape Breton, N.S. for the second time in less than two weeks on Saturday. The downpour caused major concern among residents who are already dealing with the aftermath of a storm last week that brought more than 220 millimetres of rain, flooding thousands of homes in the region. Source
  • Porn star accuses Donald Trump of offering $10,000 to come alone to hotel suite

    World News Toronto Sun
    An adult film actress on Saturday accused Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump or someone acting on his behalf of offering her $10,000 and the use of his private jet if she would agree to come alone to his hotel suite at night after a golf tournament in Lake Tahoe in 2006. Source
  • Woman nets 30 months in jail for sex with teen boy

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    A Manitoba woman who admitted to having a four-month-long sexual relationship with a 14-year-old boy has been sentenced to 30 months in prison. The now 26-year-old accused previously pleaded guilty to one count of sexual interference. She is not being named to protect the identity of her victim. Source
  • Mother of young murder victim sickened to learn her daughter's killer has been granted weekend passes

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    While child killer Harold Smeltzer enjoys his first weekend pass away from his life sentence, the mother of the little Calgary girl he killed in 1980 sits feeling helpless and sick to her stomach. “It never goes away,” Evelyn Thompson said of that pain and fear that took over her life almost 37 years ago. Source
  • Winnipeg teen with cerebral palsy hosts his own sports show

    Canada News CTV News
    A Winnipeg teen living with cerebral palsy has embarked on an inspiring journey to live out his dream of becoming a sports broadcaster. Despite being wheelchair-bound and having a speech impediment, 17-year-old Jordan Rogodzinski hosts his very own internet sports show called the “Jordan 411 Sports Show. Source
  • 100 mostly barefoot inmates escape Haiti lockup

    World News Toronto Sun
    ARCAHAIE, Haiti — More than 100 mostly barefoot inmates overpowered guards on Saturday and escaped from a lockup in central Haiti, officials said. Judge Henry Claude Louis-Jean said the prison break occurred in Arcahaie, a coastal town about 30 miles north of Haiti’s capital. Source
  • Bad weather damages booms, spreads diesel spill from sunken tug off B.C. coast

    Canada News CTV News
    BELLA BELLA, B.C. -- Heavy weather conditions are causing a diesel spill from a sunken tugboat to spread in the waters off British Columbia's remote central coast. A spokeswoman for Kirby Offshore Marine, which owns the tug, says the booms that were containing the spill have been compromised due to high winds and three-metre waves. Source
  • 174 inmates escape, 1 guard shot dead in 'violent' Haitian prison break

    World News CBC News
    Most inmates of a northern Haitian prison escaped on Saturday after killing a guard and stealing firearms, said authorities who launched a manhunt with support from UN peacekeepers for the 174 fugitives. Police set up checkpoints on roads leading from the prison and detained several people without identity cards, a Reuters witness said. Source