Dozens of juvenile offenders face death penalty in Iran: Amnesty

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Dozens of people who were arrested in Iran for crimes committed before they turned 18 remain at risk of the death penalty despite recent reforms, with many having already spent years on death row, according to a report by Amnesty International released on Tuesday.

See Full Article

The London-based group also found that Iran has executed at least 73 juvenile offenders between 2005 and 2015, including at least four last year.

Amnesty's 110-page report intensifies pressure on Iran at a time when Tehran is working to rebuild relations with the West following last year's landmark nuclear deal. The agreement came into force this month after Iran took steps to curb its nuclear program, leading to the lifting of crippling international sanctions.

On Monday, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani arrived in Rome at the start of the first European trip by an Iranian president in almost two decades. The visit, which will also include stops at the Vatican and France, is expected to lead to a raft of business and trade deals.

Iran is one of the world's largest users of the death penalty, ranking second behind China in 2014, according to the most recent figures from Amnesty. Most executions overall in Iran are carried out for drug smuggling. The country straddles a major narcotics trafficking route linking opium-producing fields in Afghanistan to Europe.

Amnesty's researchers were able to identify the names and locations of 49 juvenile offenders who face the death penalty, though the group notes that actual numbers could be higher. A 2014 UN report put the number of juvenile offenders at risk of execution at more than 160.

The majority of the 73 juvenile offenders Amnesty identified who were put to death over the past decade were convicted of murder. Others were executed for crimes such as rape, drug-related crimes and national security offences such as "enmity against God."

The group noted that reforms introduced in 2013 give judges more discretion to take into account juvenile offenders' mental maturity and potentially impose less harsh punishments, and that the Supreme Court has since said juvenile offenders facing execution could have their cases retried. Additional reforms introduced last year require that cases involving juveniles must be heard in special juvenile courts.

Still, Amnesty urged Iran to do more.

"Despite some juvenile justice reforms, Iran continues to lag behind the rest of the world, maintaining laws that permit girls as young as nine and boys as young as 15 to be sentenced to death," Amnesty said.

Iranian officials could not immediately be reached for comment.

In late October, the United Nations' special investigator on the human rights situation in Iran, Ahmed Shaheed, warned that executions in Iran have risen at an "exponential rate" since 2005 and could top 1,000 in 2015. He said Iran puts more people to death per capita than any other country, adding that the majority of executions do not conform to international laws banning the death penalty for juveniles and non-violent offenders.

The head of Iran's Human Rights Council, Mohammad Javad Larijani, subsequently dismissed the UN report as "a collection of baseless accusations."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Woman sought in Calgary quadruple homicide might be in Ontario or Quebec

    Canada News CTV News
    Calgary police say a woman they're seeking in connection with a quadruple homicide earlier this month may be in Ontario or Quebec. Yu Chieh Liao, who goes by Diana Liao, is considered a person of interest in killings police have described as brutal and ruthless. Source
  • 'Fish stinks from head down': Scaramucci accuses Priebus of being leaker [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — New White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci went after chief of staff Reince Priebus Thursday as a suspected “leaker” within the West Wing in a pull-no-punches interview that laid bare the personality clashes and internal turmoil of Donald Trump’s presidency. Source
  • One-in-23 million odds: Quebecer wins lottery for second time in 9 years

    Canada News CTV News
    QUEBEC -- There are lucky men, and then there's Jules Parent. For the second time in nine years, the 69-year-old Quebecer has won $1 million playing the lottery. "I know very well that the probability of winning is extremely small and winning twice in a relatively short time is really something else," Parent said in an interview Thursday. Source
  • Jail guard faces reprimand for exposing alleged neglect of mentally ill inmate

    Canada News CTV News
    An Ontario correctional officer says he may be disciplined for tweeting about a mentally ill inmate who was allegedly left in his own filth in solitary confinement. Chris Jackel, a guard at the Central North Correctional Centre in Penetanguishene, Ont. Source
  • Surveillance plane crews strained after three years flying over Iraq, Syria

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- The Canadian military is hoping the recent withdrawal of one of its Aurora surveillance planes from the fight against the Islamic State will help ease what had become a serious strain on the fleet's aircrews. Source
  • Canada approves White House and congressional leaders scrapping border tax

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Trump administration officials and congressional leaders are no longer considering an import-based tax system to rewrite the tax code, which was welcomed by Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland. A border tax system had been contemplated to lower rates without blowing a hole in the American budget. Source
  • Boy Scouts leader apologizes for Trump's 'political rhetoric' in jamboree speech

    World News CBC News
    The Boy Scouts' chief executive apologized Thursday to members of the scouting community who were offended by the aggressive political rhetoric in President Donald Trump's recent speech to the Scouts' national jamboree. The apology came in a statement from chief scout executive Michael Surbaugh, three days after Trump's speech to nearly 40,000 scouts and adults gathered in West Virginia. Source
  • Nova Scotia thieves steal Bluenose captain's historic weather vane

    Canada News CTV News
    LUNENBURG, N.S. - The RCMP are seeking the public's help in the theft of an historic object once owned by Nova Scotia's most famous sea captain -- Capt. Angus Walters, skipper of the schooner Bluenose. Source
  • Police body cam records Florida cop wrestling with gator

    World News CTV News
    Incredible footage captured on a Florida police officer’s body camera shows the officer face off with one of the state’s deadliest creatures. Alfred Vargas of the Boynton Beach Police Department, a community about 90 kilometres north of Miami, was called to a local home when a resident complained about an alligator lingering outside their front door. Source
  • Boy Scout leader apologizes for Donald Trump's speech at national jamboree [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — The Boy Scouts’ chief executive apologized Thursday to members of the scouting community who were offended by the aggressive political rhetoric in President Donald Trump’s recent speech to the Scouts’ national jamboree. The apology came in a statement from Chief Scout Executive Michael Surbaugh, three days after Trump’s speech to nearly 40,000 scouts and adults gathered in West Virginia. Source