Escaped California inmates likely had inside help, security experts say

SANTA ANA, Calif. - Three California inmates who sawed through a metal grate, crawled through plumbing tunnels and shimmied to freedom down a rope made from bed linens likely had help to pull off the daring plan and also benefited from the complacency of jail staff, security experts said Monday.

See Full Article

The inmates vanished early Friday in a jail break eerily similar to the escape of two inmates from an upstate New York prison last summer. Those men also cut through a portion of wall hidden under a bunk bed and used piping and tunnels inside the facility to reach the outside.

The California inmates, including one who is charged with murder, were still at large Monday. Jail officials did not realize they were missing until roughly 16 hours after they were last seen because an evening headcount was delayed by an assault on a guard.

A major question for investigators will be how the men were able to plan and execute their flight with such precision, said Kevin Tamez, a managing partner for MPM Group, a Philadelphia-based firm that consults on prison security, management and infrastructure.

It's likely someone slipped them blueprints or told them how the bowels of the jail were laid out, he said.

"If I were whoever's investigating, there are some people who would be on a polygraph, I guarantee you," Tamez said. "They had to have had some inside help."

Lt. Jeff Hallock, a spokesman for the Orange County Sheriff's Department, said there is no evidence so far that the trio had help from the inside but authorities know it's a possibility.

Jonathan Tieu, 20, Bac Duong, 43, and Hossein Nayeri, 37, were all awaiting trials for unrelated violent crimes at the Men's Central Jail. They were held in a dormitory with about 65 other men.

They cut through a quarter-inch-thick grill on a dormitory wall and got into plumbing tunnels before sawing through half-inch-thick steel bars as they made their way behind walls to an unguarded area of a roof atop a five-story building. There, they moved aside razor wire and rappelled to the ground using the bed linen.

It was the first escape in nearly three decades from the California facility built in 1968. The jail holds 900 men and is located in Santa Ana, about 30 miles southeast of Los Angeles.

The similarities to last summer's escape in New York point to complacency among guards and administrators at the California facility, experts said.

"This summer we had this huge escape from Clinton Prison in New York and every prison or jail administrator in the country should have said to themselves, 'Huh, I wonder if I am vulnerable?' and should have checked their steam shafts and tunnels and every other thing that gives access to the outside," said Martin Horn, a professor of corrections at John Jay College of Criminal Justice at City University of New York.

Motion sensor cameras - available for $55 and often used as baby monitors - can be installed along interior tunnels and pipes to catch inmates, Tamez said.

Thorough searches of dorms likely would have discovered the tools used or damage to the vent grill, he said.

Hallock said the jail's general policy is to do walk-throughs every hour to check on inmates. More involved searches are done randomly, he said, but declined to be more specific.

It's also unclear why the inmates - who were charged with violent felonies - were housed in a common dorm with more than 60 other inmates. Assignment to a large, busy room likely made it easier for them to avoid detection, Horn said.

Authorities believe Tieu and Duong remain in Southern California, possibly hiding out in the local Vietnamese community in Orange County. Officials held a news conference in Vietnamese to ask for help.

Federal authorities are offering $50,000 in rewards for information leading to their recapture.

Tieu had been held on a $1 million bond since October 2013 on charges of murder, attempted murder and shooting at an inhabited dwelling in an alleged gang dispute.

Nayeri had been held without bond since September 2014 on charges of kidnapping, torture, aggravated mayhem and burglary. Authorities say he kidnapped a marijuana dealer, burned him with a blow torch and cut off his penis because Nayeri thought the man had buried money in the desert.

Duong has been held without bond since last month on charges of attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon and other counts in the shooting of a man on his front porch.

The three were also charged late Friday with a felony for the escape itself, a charge that could carry a three-year sentence for Tieu and a nine-year sentence for Duong because of a previous conviction.

-----

Associated Press writer Amy Taxin contributed to this report.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Bail revoked for promoter of failed music fest in Bahamas

    World News CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Bail was revoked Monday for the promoter of a failed music festival on a Bahamian island by a judge who called him a flight risk and a nonviolent danger to the community. Source
  • Pentagon suspends August military drills with South Korea

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- The Pentagon on Monday formally suspended a major military exercise planned for August with South Korea, a much-anticipated move stemming from President Donald Trump's nuclear summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. Source
  • Judge releases dashcam video of fatal crash after speeding driver's acquittal

    Canada News CTV News
    A B.C. judge has released a dashcam video of a high-speed crash that killed a Vancouver doctor in 2015. The driver of the car was found to be going 119 km/h in a 50 km/h zone at the point of impact, but was acquitted in May of dangerous driving causing death. Source
  • Alberta RCMP staff sergeant charged with sex assault

    Canada News CTV News
    FORT MCMURRAY, Alta. - A staff sergeant with the RCMP in northern Alberta has been suspended after being charged with one count of sexual assault. The RCMP says in a release that two female members of the Wood Buffalo detachment complained that they had been touched inappropriately at an off-site Christmas party. Source
  • Quebec liquor store employees threaten to strike ahead of Fete nationale

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Employees with Quebec's liquor authority are threatening to strike ahead of the province's popular Fete nationale holiday, also known as St-Jean-Baptiste day. Workers are scheduled to vote Monday and over the course of the next several days on a proposal by union executives for a six-day strike that could begin June 23, the day before the holiday. Source
  • Spanish PM vows to exhume Franco from controversial site

    World News CTV News
    MADRID -- Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said Monday he wants to remove the remains of the late dictator Gen. Francisco Franco from a controversial mausoleum and turn the site into a monument for reconciliation. Source
  • Manitoba Liberal wants ban on chamber talk about NDP leader's criminal past

    Canada News CTV News
    WINNIPEG -- A Manitoba politician wants to ban members of the Tory government from discussing Opposition NDP Leader Wab Kinew's criminal convictions and other brushes with the law inside the legislature. Liberal legislature member Judy Klassen recently asked the Speaker to stop members of the Tory government from bringing up Kinew's past during debates in the chamber. Source
  • Report says over 1 billion small arms in world, up from 2007

    World News CTV News
    CAMEROON, Cameroon -- There are over 1 billion firearms in the world today, including 857 million in civilian hands -- with American men and women the dominant owners, according to a study released Monday. The Small Arms Survey says 393 million of the civilian-held firearms, 46 per cent, are in the United States, which is "more than those held by civilians in the other top 25 countries combined. Source
  • 3 adults, 2 children, family dog struck by lightning in Ontario

    Canada News CTV News
    Three adults, two children and a family dog were struck by lightning in southwestern Ontario Monday afternoon. According to the Ontario Provincial Police, all of the human victims suffered minor injuries and were taken to hospital. Source
  • Canada tracking Trump's border crackdown to see if U.S. remains safe for asylum seekers

    Canada News CBC News
    Canada is monitoring the impact of U.S. President Donald Trump's "zero-tolerance" migrant policy — which has led to the forcible detention of thousands of children — to determine if the U.S. remains a safe country for asylum seekers. Source