Henry Worsley dies just kilometres from end of solo Antarctic trek

LONDON -- A British adventurer has died after suffering exhaustion and dehydration while attempting to become the first person to cross the Antarctic alone and unsupported.

See Full Article

Former army officer Henry Worsley was just 30 miles (48 kilometres) from the end of the almost 1,000-mile (1,600 kilometre) trek when he called for help and was airlifted off the ice Friday.

His family said Monday that Worsley died "following complete organ failure" at a hospital in Punta Arenas, Chile. He had undergone surgery a day earlier for bacterial peritonitis --an infection of the tissue lining the abdomen, which can lead to septic shock.

The 55-year-old Worsley covered more than 900 miles in 71 days, pulling supplies on a sled, while attempting to complete Ernest Shackleton's unfinished trans-Antarctic expedition of a century ago. Shackleton's journey turned into a desperate survival mission after his ship, the Endeavour, was trapped and sunk by pack ice in 1915, leaving his team stranded.

Worsley's wife Joanna said the expedition had raised more than 100,000 pounds ($140,000) for wounded troops.

Prince William, who was a patron of the expedition, said he and his brother Prince Harry had lost a friend.

"He was a man who showed great courage and determination and we are incredibly proud to be associated with him," William said.

Worlsey decided to abandon his journey Friday after spending two days unable to leave his tent.

"The 71 days alone on the Antarctic with over 900 statute miles covered and a gradual grinding down of my physical endurance finally took its toll today, and it is with sadness that I report it is journey's end -- so close to my goal," he said in a final statement from Antarctica.

Kensington Palace tweeted this message from the Duke of Cambridge on Monday:

A message from The Duke of Cambridge following the tragic news about Henry Worsley https://t.co/HRyVWpoLRapic.twitter.com/w9ncGg6r5A

— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) January 25, 2016


Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • On frozen fields, North Korean farmers prep for battle ahead

    World News CTV News
    PYONGYANG, Korea, Democratic People's Republic Of -- Plug your noses and ready your "Juche fertilizer." It's time to prep the frozen fields in North Korea. North Korea relies on its farmers to squeeze absolutely all they can out of every harvest. Source
  • Trump's revised travel ban targets same countries: AP source

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- A draft of President Donald Trump's revised immigration ban targets the same seven countries listed in his original executive order and exempts travellers who already have a visa to travel to the U.S. Source
  • The force is with Everett; Social media helps brings in Star Wars Kraft Dinner for autistic boy

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    NANAIMO, B.C. — Hundreds of boxes of a limited-edition pasta have filled the home of a family in Nanaimo, B.C., following a plea to help their autistic son. Reed Botwright put out a call on social media last week when he and his wife could not track down any more boxes of Star Wars Kraft Dinner, one of the only foods their six-year-old son Everett will eat. Source
  • Man seen in photos now 'main suspect' in Indiana double homicide

    World News Toronto Sun
    DELPHI, Ind. — A man photographed walking along a northern Indiana trail system around the time two teenage girls later found slain were dropped off by a relative is now considered “the main suspect” in their killings, State Police said Sunday. Source
  • Father of teen drug user urges parents to band together to save lives

    Canada News CTV News
    As an Ottawa-area family laid their 14-year-old daughter to rest Sunday following an apparent overdose, a local father is speaking up about his own teenage daughter’s struggle with drugs in the hope of saving lives. Source
  • Colorado town getting weed shop with drive-through window

    World News CTV News
    PARACHUTE, Colo. - The western Colorado town of Parachute is getting a drive-through marijuana shop believed to be the first in the state. The Glenwood Springs Post Independent reported Saturday the Parachute Board of Trustees approved a business license for Tumbleweed Express last week. Source
  • Edmonton police issue ticket for wearing a ferret while driving

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    A 24-hour traffic enforcement event by Edmonton police resulted in 2,442 violations, including a distracted driving ticket for a motorist wearing a live ferret around their neck while cruising along Whyte Avenue. Police issued 90 additional distracted driving tickets during the enforcement period from Feb. Source
  • Douglas Garland back in jail after inmate beating

    Canada News CBC News
    Douglas Garland is back behind bars, having been released from hospital after suffering a beating by fellow inmates at the Calgary Remand Centre late Friday night. Just hours after Garland, 57, was sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for at least 75 years for the first-degree murders of Alvin and Kathy Liknes and their five-year-old grandson Nathan O'Brien, he was attacked by multiple inmates, suffering what EMS described as soft-tissue injuries. Source
  • Adolf Hitler's phone sold for US$243,000

    World News Toronto Sun
    CHESAPEAKE CITY, MD. - A Maryland auction house is selling Adolf Hitler’s personal travelling telephone. Bill Panagopulos of Alexander Historical Auctions in Chesapeake City says occupying Russian officers gave the phone to Brig. Sir Ralph Rayner during a visit to Hitler’s Berlin bunker. Source
  • Telephone owned by Adolf Hitler sells for $243,000

    World News CTV News
    CHESAPEAKE CITY, Md. - A telephone owned by Adolf Hitler has sold at auction for $243,000. Andreas Kornfeld of Alexander Historical Auctions says the phone sold Sunday afternoon to a person who bid by phone. Source