EU ministers start talks on how to contain migrant flow

AMSTERDAM - European Union justice and interior ministers started urgent discussions Monday on how to tackle the migrant crisis amid the stream of new arrivals and continuing disagreements over how to seal off borders.

See Full Article

The informal meeting comes days after EU President Donald Tusk warned that Europe's passport-free travel area, known as Schengen, could break apart if the migrant strategy is not sorted out within two months.

"In order to maintain and ensure the free movement within the Schengen zone, it is obvious that we have to better manage our external borders," said the EU's Migration Commissioner Dimitris Avramopoulos.

Ministers are seeking to stem the flow through Greece, where authorities are struggling to contain the crossings by boat from Turkey. If that fails, Europe may need to set up border controls somewhere else, Austrian Interior Minister Johanna Mikl-Leitner said.

"It's clear that if we can't secure the European borders - that means the Greek-Turkish border - then the Schengen border will move to central Europe," she told reporters.

EU figures show more than 2,000 people are still arriving daily, despite choppy seas and wintery conditions.

Italy's Interior Minister, Angelino Alfano, said his country was not in favour of effectively pushing Europe's border up to Greece's northern border with Macedonia.

"We are of the idea that Europe must remain a stable structure, that there cannot be bits of Europe inside and bits of Europe outside because that would be the start of dissolution," he said.

Ministers arriving for the meeting at Amsterdam's Maritime Museum were met by protesters in two boats, one full of showroom dummies wearing red life vests similar to those worn by migrants crossing from Turkey and another with a large sign saying: "Leaders of Europe, it's not the polls you should worry about. It's the history books."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Canada's 2015 federal election may have been influenced by outsiders, according to a new report

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Foreign money funnelled towards Canadian political advocacy groups affected the outcome of the 2015 federal election, according to a document filed last week with Elections Canada and obtained in part by the Herald. The 36-page report entitled: Elections Canada Complaint Regarding Foreign Influence in the 2015 Canadian Election, alleges third parties worked with each other, which may have bypassed election spending limits — all of which appears to be in contravention of the Canada Elections…
  • Saffie Roussos, 8, among 22 killed by suicide bomber at Ariana Grande show in Manchester [Photos] [Vide

    World News Toronto Sun
    British authorities say an 8-year-old girl, Saffie Roussos, was among the 22 who died in the Manchester bombing. Medical officials say 12 children under the age of 16 were among those injured in the suicide bombing attack at a pop concert in Manchester, England. Source
  • Toronto's Air Canada Centre adding more security staff after Manchester bombing

    Canada News CTV News
    Ariana Grande says she is 'broken' after Manchester bombing 'Evil losers': Trump condemns Manchester attack Terror attack in Manchester 'intended to kill little girls,' experts say Source
  • Three Nova Scotia men facing charges in $3M international lobster fraud and theft case

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    BARRINGTON, N.S. - More than $3 million worth of lobster is at the centre of a complex, international case involving fraud and theft allegations against three Nova Scotia men, RCMP said Tuesday. The Mounties’ investigation started in July 2015 when allegations arose that a man from Shag Harbour, N.S. Source
  • Terror attack in Manchester 'intended to kill little girls,' experts say

    World News CTV News
    The suicide bombing at an arena in Manchester was meant to strike at soft targets, including underage girls, in order to "shock the world," terror experts say. Twenty-two people were killed, including an eight-year-old girl, and another 59 were injured following the suicide bombing at Manchester Arena Tuesday night, at the conclusion of an Ariana Grande performance. Source
  • Suicide bomber at Ariana Grande concert kills 22 [Photos] [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    MANCHESTER, England — An apparent suicide bomber attacked an Ariana Grande concert as it ended Monday night, killing 22 people among a panicked crowd of young concertgoers, some still wearing the star’s trademark kitten ears and holding pink balloons as they fled. Source
  • Donald Trump: ‘Evil losers’ carried out deadly terrorist attack on Manchester concert goers [Photos] [V

    World News Toronto Sun
    BETHLEHEM - President Donald Trump on Tuesday condemned the “evil losers” responsible for a deadly attack on concert-goers in England and called on leaders in the Middle East in particular to help root out violence. “The terrorists and extremists and those who give them aid and comfort must be driven out from our society forever,” Trump said in Bethlehem alongside Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas. Source
  • Condemned church shooter Roof seeks appellate court mercy

    World News CTV News
    COLUMBIA, S.C. - A white supremacist sentenced to death for killing nine worshippers in a racist attack at a Charleston church has petitioned an appeals court for mercy. Attorneys for Dylann Roof filed notice Tuesday they were appealing his conviction and sentence to the 4th U.S. Source
  • Ex-CIA chief concerned over Trump campaign Kremlin contacts

    World News CBC News
    Former CIA director John Brennan said Tuesday he was concerned about the number of contacts between Americans "involved" with the Trump campaign and the Russians last year. During his first public remarks since he left his post in January, Brennan told lawmakers he was so concerned about Russia's efforts to interfere in the 2016 election and recruit Americans that he convened a group of officials from the CIA, FBI and National Security Agency in late July to focus exclusively on the…
  • Ex-CIA chief concerned by Trump campaign's Kremlin contacts

    World News CBC News
    Former CIA director John Brennan said Tuesday he was concerned about the number of contacts between Americans "involved" with the Trump campaign and the Russians last year. During his first public remarks since he left his post in January, Brennan told lawmakers he was so concerned about Russia's efforts to interfere in the 2016 election and recruit Americans that he convened a group of officials from the CIA, FBI and National Security Agency in late July to focus exclusively on the…