Missing Hong Kong publisher's wife says she met him in China

HONG KONG -- The wife of a missing chief editor of a publisher specializing in books banned in mainland China has told police she has been able to visit him on the mainland, Hong Kong police said Sunday.

See Full Article

It is the latest twist in the disappearances of British citizen Lee Bo and four of his colleagues that have intensified fears that Beijing is clamping down on Hong Kong's freedom of speech. Lee has previously written that he returned voluntarily to mainland China in letters to his wife, but his supporters believe he was kidnapped and smuggled to the mainland.

Hong Kong police said in a statement Sunday that Lee's wife had told them she had met him on Saturday afternoon at a guesthouse on the mainland. She said he was healthy and in good spirits, and that he was assisting in an investigation as a witness. She gave no further details regarding the location of the meeting or the nature of the investigation.

She also handed over a letter from Lee addressed to Hong Kong police. The police statement said its content was similar to his previous letters.

The latest development raises more questions than it answers. It is still unclear where Lee and the other four men linked to Hong Kong publishing company Mighty Current and its Causeway Bay Bookshop are exactly, what the investigation involves, and whether Lee is detained or there voluntarily, as he has purportedly said in his letters.

Hong Kong police said they are continuing to investigate Lee's case and had again asked police in Guangdong province, over the mainland border, to assist in arranging a meeting with Lee.

The circumstances of Lee's case have led many to suspect Chinese security agents crossed into Hong Kong to abduct him, in breach of the "one country, two systems" principle Beijing promised to uphold after taking control of the city from Britain in 1997. According to local news reports, he was last seen at his company's warehouse on Dec. 30 and didn't have his mainland travel permit, but days after he went missing he called his wife to say he was in Guangdong.

The other four men have disappeared since October from mainland China or Thailand.

Mighty Current specialized in racy but thinly sourced titles on Chinese political intrigue and scandals and other topics Beijing deemed off limits for mainland Chinese publishers.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Multiple people injured after shots fired on busy Toronto street

    Canada News CTV News
    There are reports of multiple injuries after shots rang out in a busy Toronto neighbourhood Sunday night. Police, paramedics and firefighters have converged on the scene in the area of Danforth and Logan avenues, in Toronto’s east end. Source
  • 'Horrifying': Holocaust education sign vandalized in Toronto

    Canada News CTV News
    Toronto police are investigating after a lawn sign promoting Holocaust education was vandalized over the weekend. The United Jewish Appeal’s sign, featuring well-known Holocaust survivor and educator Max Eisen, was taken down after someone spray-painted “achtung” on it. Source
  • Woman says she faced 'degrading' questions about emotional support dog at Que. Walmart

    Canada News CTV News
    A woman in Quebec said she felt disrespected and embarrassed when a Walmart employee confronted her about bringing her emotional support dog to the store. Louise Fournier said she suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder and her support dog, a Chihuahua named Bizou, is her “everything. Source
  • Ryan Straschnitzki's return to the ice stirs 'mixed emotions'

    Canada News CBC News
    Humboldt Bronco Ryan Straschnitzki tried out sledge hockey for the first time Friday, joined by his father Tom, girlfriend Erika, Team Canada's Chris Cederstrand and Philadelphia Flyer Corgan Knight. It was his return to the ice in the wake of the tragic bus crash April 6 that killed 16 of his teammates and colleagues and injured 13. Source
  • A look at the 17 people killed in the Missouri boat accident

    World News CTV News
    BRANSON, Mo. -- The 17 people killed when a tourist boat capsized in a Missouri lake included nine members of one family, a couple celebrating their 45th wedding anniversary and a grandmother who family members say saved her granddaughter's life. Source
  • G20 calls for more dialogue on rising trade tensions

    World News CTV News
    BUENOS AIRES, Argentina -- The world's top financial officials called Sunday for more dialogue on trade disputes that threaten global economic growth, with one warning that differences remain and tensions could escalate further. The two-day meeting of finance ministers and central bankers from the Group of 20 nations came as the United States clashes with China and other nations over trade, with the nations imposing tariffs on billions of dollars of the the other's goods. Source
  • Magnitude 5.9 earthquake in western Iran injures nearly 290

    World News CBC News
    A magnitude 5.9 earthquake hit western Iran on Sunday, injuring at least 287 people, hours after two quakes struck Hormozgan province in the south, the official Iranian news agency IRNA reported. Eight of the injured had been hospitalized and the rest were released after treatment, Houshang Bazvand, governor of the affected province of Kermanshah, told IRNA. Source
  • 'He actually survived': Man who disappeared last month found alive in the bush

    Canada News CBC News
    They didn't know where he was for more than a month, but now a father of three — who disappeared after going to a medical appointment in northern Manitoba — has been reunited with his family. Russell Adrian Hyslop, 26, was found hiding under a shack frightened and exhausted on Friday evening, said his mom Jeanette Shaoullie. Source
  • Security aide to French president charged in protester beating

    World News CBC News
    A French judge handed preliminary charges Sunday to one of President Emmanuel Macron's top security aides after video surfaced that showed him beating a protester at a May Day demonstration. The initial charges against Alexandre Benalla came the same day French authorities opened a judicial investigation of the assault. Source
  • Anti-Semitic graffiti in North York is 'cowardly and horrific,' Jewish group says

    Canada News CBC News
    Anti-Semitic graffiti scrawled across the forehead of a Holocaust survivor featured on a lawn sign in North York is "cowardly and horrific," a national Jewish organization claims. The word, "achtung" appeared spray-painted on a sign promoting Holocaust education outside Beth Jacob Synagogue, near Dufferin Street and Finch Avenue West, on Saturday, UJA Federation of Greater Toronto said in a statement. Source