Merkel and Davutoglu seek solutions to Europe's migrant crisis

BERLIN -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu pledged Friday to continue to work intensively together to solve Europe's migrant crisis -- not only to stem the flow of people but to improve conditions in camps in Turkey and to try and bring about a peace deal in Syria.

See Full Article

Germany saw an unprecedented 1.1 million asylum-seekers arrive last year, most of whom had come via Turkey from Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan.

Turkey, in the meantime, hosts the world's largest number of refugees, including more than 2.2 million from neighbouring Syria, and has been struggling to keep up with the flood.

"The refugee crisis is not Germany's crisis, it is not Europe's crisis, it is not Turkey's crisis," Davutoglu said in a joint press conference with Merkel. "It is a crisis that was born out of the crisis in Syria. If we co-operate we can bring this crisis under control. If we throw the issue at each other, solving this issue will become more difficult."

Syria's five-year civil war has killed a quarter of a million people, displaced half the country and enabled the radical Islamic State group to seize a third of its territory. Peace talks planned for next week in Geneva are meant to start a political process to end the conflict.

"I am deeply convinced that the question of illegal immigration can only be solved when we work together toward resolving the cause of the flood," Merkel said.

Merkel has refused to put a cap on the number of migrants allowed into Germany, but is facing growing domestic pressure and has focused on working with Turkey to help slow the flow of people coming to Europe.

She has also been urging other EU members to make good on their pledge of giving Turkey 3 billion euros ($3.3 billion) to improve conditions for the almost 3 million refugees living there.

She said more also needs to be done to combat the networks of smugglers bringing the refugees to Europe, and to provide education and health care for those who have sought refuge in Turkey and other countries neighbouring Syria.

Heading into the meeting, Davutoglu told German news agency dpa that even 3 billion euros may not be enough because nobody knows how long the crisis will last. He suggested that the refugee crisis has already cost Turkey $10 billion.

"We're not begging for money from the EU," Davutoglu said. "But if there is a serious commitment to sharing the burden, then we have to sit down and talk about all the details of the crisis."

Davutoglu also praised Merkel for her open-door stance.

"Political leaders are remembered not just for their projects, for but the humanitarian stances they take in difficult times," he said. "The step Mrs. Merkel took will go down in history. The people of Syria will never forget this humanitarian stance."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Big Ben rings out for last time until 2021 to undergo repairs [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    LONDON — With a dozen deep bongs, Britain’s Big Ben sounded the hour for the last time Monday before falling silent for repair work due to last almost four years. The giant bell atop Parliament’s clock tower rang out at noon, as it has almost every hour since 1859, becoming an iconic sound of London. Source
  • Attorneys believe Missouri man set for execution is innocent

    World News Toronto Sun
    ST. LOUIS — Attorneys for a condemned Missouri inmate warn that the state is preparing to execute a potentially innocent man. Marcellus Williams, 48, is scheduled to die Tuesday at the state prison in Bonne Terre for stabbing to death former St. Source
  • Teen pleads guilty to 2nd-degree murder in 'Slender Man' attack

    World News Toronto Sun
    WAUKESHA, Wis. — One of two Wisconsin girls charged with repeatedly stabbing a classmate to impress the fictitious horror character Slender Man pleaded guilty Monday, but she still faces a trial in the case next month focused on her mental health. Source
  • Trump to detail Afghan military plan in national TV address

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump will use a nationally televised address to outline for a war-weary nation the strategy he believes will best position the U.S. to eventually declare victory in Afghanistan after 16 years of combat and lives lost. Source
  • Mastermind in U.S. lotto fraud faces 25 years in prison

    World News Toronto Sun
    DES MOINES, Iowa — A former lottery computer programmer who’s pleaded guilty in Iowa to running a criminal scheme that allowed him to collect $2 million in lottery winnings in four states is scheduled to be sentenced Tuesday. Source
  • ‘We didn’t know’: Portland buddies, now 70, partly blinded by solar eclipse decades ago

    World News Toronto Sun
    It was a clear day when Louis Tomososki's science teacher mentioned that a partial solar eclipse would be visible from their hometown of Portland, Ore., that afternoon. So after classes let out, Tomososki, then 16, found Roger Duvall, his friend since the fourth grade and a fellow science buff. Source
  • Woman facing terror charges forced to appear in court: 'You are all infidels'

    Canada News CTV News
    A Toronto woman facing terror-related charges briefly appeared before a judge via video by force on Thursday, after she refused to attend court three times before. Rehab Dughmosh, 32, had been refusing to leave her cell to attend court for weeks. Source
  • Solar eclipse latest: Political parties try to capitalize on the spectacle

    World News CTV News
    The latest on the total solar eclipse crossing the U.S., from Oregon to South Carolina (all times EDT): 12:00 p.m. Both of South Carolina's political parties are trying to capitalize on the eclipse in fundraising campaigns. Source
  • Solar eclipse latest: First coast-to-coast total eclipse begins

    World News CTV News
    The latest on the total solar eclipse crossing the U.S., from Oregon to South Carolina (all times EDT): 1:20 p.m. The first total solar eclipse to sweep the U.S. coast to coast in nearly a century has begun in Oregon. Source
  • Barcelona terror suspect Abouyaaqoub has been killed by police

    World News Toronto Sun
    UPDATE:Catalan Police have confirmed the identity of the person killed to be Barcelona terror attack van driving suspect Younes Abouyaaqoub. BARCELONA, Spain — Police outside Barcelona shot down a man wearing a possible explosives vest, the regional police force said Monday, as the manhunt intensified for the fugitive in the city’s van attack. Source