Explosion at Turkish school injures 5 students

ANKARA, Turkey -- Suspected Kurdish militants hurled a hand-made explosive device at a middle school in the mainly Kurdish city of Diyarbakir on Friday, injuring five students, officials said.

See Full Article

The attack targeted the Celebi Eser middle school in Diyarbakir's Baglar district on the last day of school when students receive report cards before a winter break, regional education official Adnan Hurata told the state-run Anadolu Agency.

Turkey's security forces are fighting militants linked to the Kurdistan Workers' Party, or PKK, in Diyarbakir's historic Sur district. Authorities are enforcing a 24-hour curfew in Sur as the security forces press ahead with large-scale operations to rout out the militants. A Turkish human rights group says more than 160 civilians have been killed since August, caught up in the conflict raging in urban areas.

All five students were hospitalized but none of them is in serious condition, Hurata said.

The Kurdish rebel group, which wants autonomy for Kurds in southeastern Turkey, has targeted schools in the past because it oppose the Turkish education system, which it says aims to assimilate Kurds.

In Ankara, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan condemned the attack, and said it "demonstrates the extent of the immoral and vile initiatives this terror organization is undertaking."

Erdogan took the opportunity to renew an attack on a group of more than 1,000 academicians whom he has accused of treason for signing a declaration earlier this month calling for an end to Turkey's military operations. Prosecutors have launched investigations into the scholars for alleged terrorist propaganda and some 20 of them were briefly detained for questioning, raising further concerns over freedom of expression in Turkey.

"These so-called academics have clearly showed whose side they are on," Erdogan said.

Fighting between the PKK and the security forces reignited in July, shattering a two-year-old peace process that aiming to end the three-decade conflict that has killed tens of thousands of people.

There was no immediate statement from the rebels on the explosion.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Islamic State militants re-enter Syria's historic Palmyra

    World News CTV News
    BEIRUT -- Syrian activists say the Islamic State group has re-entered the historic city of Palmyra in central Syria, nine months after they were expelled by Syrian and Russian forces in a highly publicized campaign. Source
  • Trump's team pushes back against Russia hacking reports

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Donald Trump's presidential transition team pushed back Saturday against reports that Russia was caught trying to tip the November election to the Republican and challenged the veracity of U.S. intelligence agencies investigating the campaign-season cyberattacks. Source
  • Heavy snow, squalls in store for southern Ontario

    Canada News CTV News
    Environment Canada is warning that much of southern Ontario could be blanketed in snow by Monday morning, and areas along the Bruce peninsula can expect snow squalls. The weather agency says areas from Sarnia all the way to Kingston could get up to 20 centimetres of snow beginning Sunday and ending Monday morning. Source
  • Donald Trump's transition team slams secret CIA briefing concluding Russia helped get him elected

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Donald Trump’s U.S. presidential transition team pushed back Saturday against reports that Russia was caught trying to tip the November election to the Republican and challenged the veracity of U.S. intelligence agencies investigating the campaign-season cyberattacks. Source
  • Aleppo exodus grows as thousands more leave

    World News CBC News
    More than 20,000 civilians left eastern Aleppo and over 1,200 rebels opposed to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad laid down their arms on Saturday, the Russian defence ministry said.City under siege: Inside the battle for AleppoCivilians stream out of crumbling rebel enclave in AleppoThe number of people leaving through humanitarian corridors to areas controlled by the Syrian government has grown to about 50,000 over the past two days, ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said. Source
  • Workers at endangered Indiana plant feel forgotten by Trump

    World News CTV News
    HUNTINGTON, Ind. -- A full parking lot and 50-hour workweeks belie the anxiety at the United Technologies-owned factory outside a small northeastern Indiana city, where Mike Harmon and co-workers wonder whether they aren't just stockpiling parts for when the company sends their 700 jobs to Mexico. Source
  • Deep freeze not over as B.C. dusts off snow and jibes from eastern Canada

    Canada News CBC News
    British Columbia's Lower Mainland was hit with its second snowstorm overnight, dusting suburbs with white and causing havoc on the roads leading in and out of Vancouver. B.C.'s winter weather is far from over, with the province's deep freeze set to continue until mid-January, bringing temperatures up to 15 degrees lower than the yearly norm. Source
  • Russia accepts IOC plan to retest Olympic doping samples

    World News CBC News
    Russia will accept an International Olympic Committee plan to retest all drug test samples given by its athletes at the 2012 and 2014 Olympics, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Vitaly Mutko said Saturday. The IOC's declaration Friday followed the publication of a report by World Anti-Doping Agency investigator Richard McLaren. Source
  • CIA says Russia intervened to help Trump win White House, U.S. official says

    World News CBC News
    The CIA has concluded that Russia intervened in the 2016 election to help president-elect Donald Trump win the White House, and not just to undermine confidence in the U.S. electoral system, a senior U.S. official said on Friday. Source
  • Worker killed after vehicle slides off hoist at B.C. auto repair shop

    Canada News CTV News
    VERNON, B.C. -- RCMP are investigating the death of an employee at an auto repair shop in Vernon, B.C. WorkSafeBC spokeswoman Trish Knight Chernecki says Mounties contacted the agency to report that a four-by-four vehicle slid off an elevated hoist and pinned a worker. Source