'Desperately want my life back': Victims of ex-Oklahoma cop say lives forever changed

OKLAHOMA CITY -- A teenager raped by an Oklahoma City cop on the front porch of her mother's home says she doesn't know how to react when she sees law officers now, even though the man who attacked her is going to prison for the rest of his life.

See Full Article

An Oklahoma judge sentenced former patrolman Daniel Holtzclaw to 263 years in prison Thursday and ordered the terms be served consecutively, meaning the former college football star will never again be free.

"Every time I see the police, I don't even know what to do," the teenager, now 18, told Oklahoma County District Judge Timothy Henderson at Holtzclaw's sentencing hearing. "I don't ever go outside, and when I do I'm terrified."

Another victim - a grandmother in her 50s whose 2014 complaint triggered a police investigation - said her life has been changed forever.

"The stress of the case and fear of being sexually assaulted again has caused an increase in my blood pressure," Jannie Ligons said. "I so desperately want my life back."

The Associated Press does not identify victims of sex crimes without their consent and is not naming the teenager, but Ligons spoke publicly about the case and agreed to be identified.

Jurors last month convicted Holtzclaw on 18 counts, including four first-degree rape counts as well as forcible oral sodomy, sexual battery, procuring lewd exhibition and second-degree rape. Prosecutors said since the sentences will be served one after another, Henderson essentially imposed a life sentence. Jurors acquitted Holtzclaw on 18 other counts.

Holtzclaw has maintained his innocence, and his lawyer Scott Adams said he intends to appeal.

Oklahoma County District Attorney David Prater said Holtzclaw was not a law officer who committed crimes, but rather "a rapist who masqueraded as a law enforcement officer."

"If he was a true law enforcement officer, he would have upheld his duty to protect those citizens rather than victimize them," Prater said.

An Associated Press examination last year found that about 1,000 officers in the U.S. lost their licenses for sex crimes or other sexual misconduct over a six-year period.

Those figures, too, are likely an undercount, because not every state has a process to ban problem officers from law enforcement. In states that do decertify officers, reporting requirements vary, but the AP's findings suggest that sexual misconduct is among the most prevalent complaints against law officers.

Holtzclaw's case drew attention among civil rights activists. All of the victims were black; the jury appeared to be all-white; and Holtzclaw is half-white, half-Japanese and the son of a longtime Enid, Oklahoma, police officer. Several African-American leaders in Oklahoma City attended the trial and were present for Thursday's sentencing.

Benjamin Crump, a prominent civil rights attorney representing several of the women in planned civil litigation against the city, said the convictions and sentence should send a message to the rest of the country that victimization of black women won't be tolerated.

"Every one of these women, from the 17-year-old teenager to the 57-year-old grandmother, ... they survived a horrific experience," Crump said. "Hopefully, this is an example for the rest of America to follow, right here in Oklahoma. We stopped a serial rapist with a badge when everyone else had doubt."

During the monthlong trial, 13 women testified against Holtzclaw, and several said he stopped them, checked them for outstanding warrants or drug paraphernalia, and then forced himself on them.

Holtzclaw's attorney had described the former high school and college football star from Enid and Eastern Michigan University as a model officer whose attempts to help the drug addicts and prostitutes he came in contact with were distorted. Adams also attacked the credibility of some of the women, who had arrest records and histories of drug abuse, noting that many didn't come forward until police had already identified them as possible victims after launching their investigation.

Thursday's hearing was delayed by a few hours as Holtzclaw and attorneys met with the judge over the defence's request for a new trial or evidentiary hearing, but after hearing testimony from another officer, Henderson rejected the request and moved on to witness statements.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Trump praises CIA, rips media coverage of inauguration

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump opened his first full day as president Saturday at a national prayer service, the final piece of transition business for the nation’s new chief executive before a promised full-on shift into governing. Source
  • Trump's inaugural cake a knock-off of Obama's, celebrity baker says

    World News CTV News
    U.S. President Donald Trump’s inaugural cake appears to have taken more than a slice of inspiration from the cake former President Barack Obama cut into after his re-election four years ago. Celebrity baker Duff Goldman, whose Baltimore cake emporium is the subject of the popular reality television show “Ace of Cakes,” spotted hints of his handiwork and called attention to the alleged pastry plagiarism with a side-by-side photo Friday evening. Source
  • Gambia's defeated president finally cedes power, to enter exile weeks after election loss

    World News CBC News
    Gambia's defeated leader Yahya Jammeh and his family headed into political exile Saturday night, ending a 22-year reign of fear and a post-election political standoff that threatened to provoke a regional military intervention when he clung to power. Source
  • Search intensifies for 23 in avalanche-struck hotel

    World News Toronto Sun
    FARINDOLA, Italy — Rescuers listened for signs Saturday of any more survivors, three days after an avalanche slammed into a resort hotel in Italy’s central Apennines mountains. Using saws, shovels and just gloved hands, they advanced slowly through the wreckage in hopes of locating some 23 guests and hotel workers still missing. Source
  • Canadians heading to women's march turned away at U.S. border

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    The plan was simple. Montrealer Sasha Dyck and some friends would drive to Washington to join the Women's March. But when the six Canadians and two French nationals reached the border at Saint-Bernard-de-Lacolle, in Quebec, they ran into trouble. Source
  • Trump's D.C. hotel a hub of activity and ethics questions

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Red, white and blue balloons rained down over crystal chandeliers in the soaring atrium of the Trump International Hotel at midnight Friday -- "a new inaugural tradition," its social media account promised. But while President Donald Trump's hotel in Washington did serve as a hub of inaugural activities, it also stands as ground zero for what top Democrats and some ethics advisers see as his unique web of conflicts of interest. Source
  • CTV News on the ground in Washington for Women's March

    World News CTV News
    CTV News reporters and producers are on the ground in Washington for the Women's March. For live updates from the scene, follow CTV News on Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, YouTube and Facebook. Here's some of their updates so far. Source
  • Brit and Canadian heading to Women's March turned away at U.S. border

    Canada News CTV News
    A U.K. national in Canada on a student visa says he and a friend were turned away at the U.S. border because they intended to go to Saturday's Women's March in Washington. Joe Kroese said he and his Canadian friend were trying to cross the border with two Americans on Thursday. Source
  • 'I am so behind you,' Trump assures CIA officials on 1st full day in office

    World News CBC News
    U.S. President Donald Trump moved to mend his tumultuous relationship with America's spy agencies Saturday, travelling to CIA headquarters on his first full day in office and assuring officials, "I am so behind you." But the president quickly shifted from praise for the CIA to criticism of media coverage of inauguration day, in an unscripted address that overstated the size of the crowd that gathered on the National Mall as he took the oath of office. Source
  • Mexican president congratulates Trump in phone conversation

    World News CTV News
    Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump walks with Mexico President Enrique Pena Nieto at the end of their joint statement at Los Pinos, the presidential official residence, in Mexico City on Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2016. (AP / Dario Lopez-Mills) Source