Afghan woman has nose cut off by husband, officials say

KABUL -- A young woman in a remote northern region of Afghanistan had her nose cut off by her husband, officials in the region said on Tuesday.

See Full Article

Fawzia Salimi, a hospital director in Maymana, capital of Faryab province, said 22-year-old Reza Gul was brought in early Monday having lost a great deal of blood.

Gul's husband, 25-year-old Mohammad Khan, has since fled their village. Salimi said the Afghan-Turk Hospital in Maymana was trying to arrange transport for Gul to Turkey for further treatment.

Domestic violence is widespread in Afghanistan, where women are often denied constitutional rights designed to protect them.

Violence has also become somewhat entrenched in Afghan society after 40 years of war, with nearly non-existent mental health care and few options or outlets for a traumatized population.

Hafizullah Fetrat, the head of Fayrab's provincial human rights commission, said violence in the area had risen by at least 30 per cent in the past year.

"It's not just in Faryab, it is across the entire north of the country -- poverty, high unemployment, ignorance about marriage," he said.

Faryab borders Turkmenistan and is among the poorest regions of Afghanistan, with many people relying on government food handouts. Corruption is also rife, and many residents complaining that officials pilfer the aid.

Over the past year, the Taliban's presence in the region has grown. The militant group has intensified its campaign following the drawdown of the international combat mission in 2014.

The district where Gul's family lives is under Taliban control, said Rahmatullah Turkistani, a member of Fayab's provincial council.

Salimi said Khan had returned from Iran three months ago, and since then had repeatedly beaten and tortured his wife. He had also taken another wife who is just seven years old, she said.

Community elders and Taliban representatives in their village had tried mediating with the family to help sort out their problems, a traditional method of dealing with marital issues, she said.

Khan had disappeared from the village, and local security forces including the intelligence agency and police were searching for him, said the provincial governor's spokesman Ahmad Jawed Dedar.

The Taliban may also be looking for him. Before cutting off his wife's nose, Khan had promised Taliban leaders in the village that he would stop harming his wife. As the village was under their control, the Taliban would likely find him first, Dedar said.

Severing women's noses is not unheard of in Afghanistan and like most abuse probably happens more often than is publicly acknowledged.

The case of Aisha Mohammadzai shocked the world in 2010 when she appeared on the cover of Time magazine with her nose cut off.

Associated Press writer Lynne O'Donnell contributed to this story.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Hamilton judge who wore Trump hat faces misconduct hearing in Toronto starting today

    Canada News CBC News
    A misconduct hearing starts Wednesday for a Hamilton judge who faces suspension or removal from office for wearing a Donald Trump hat in court. Justice Bernd Zabel is set to explain to a four-person review panel in Toronto why he wore a "Make America Great Again" hat in court on Nov. Source
  • South Africa cannibalism case leads to 5 arrests

    World News CTV News
    JOHANNESBURG -- South African police and media say five people have been arrested on charges including murder and possession of human body parts after one of them walked into a police station, said he was tired of eating human flesh and produced part of a human leg and a hand. Source
  • 'Absolutely absurd': Bride, groom arrested in post-wedding bar brawl

    Canada News CTV News
    It's not the way most people picture their first night of wedded bliss. A bride and groom ended their wedding night in the Edmonton Police Service’s cutest little jailhouse suites, after they were booked for a post-wedding brawl at a downtown bar. Source
  • ESPN ridiculed for pulling broadcaster Robert Lee from Virginia broadcast due to Charlottesville violence

    World News Toronto Sun
    BRISTOL, Conn. — ESPN broadcaster Robert Lee will not work Virginia’s season opener because of recent violence in Charlottesville sparked by the decision to remove a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee. A spokeswoman for ESPN says Lee has been moved to Youngstown State’s game at Pittsburgh on the ACC Network on Sept. Source
  • Saudi police arrest teenage boy for dancing in the street

    World News CTV News
    DUBAI, United Arab Emirates -- Saudi police arrested a 14-year-old boy who was filmed dancing to a popular 90s hit song at an intersection in the Red Sea city of Jiddah, according to local media reports on Wednesday. Source
  • Hey Macarena! Saudi police arrest teen for dancing in the street

    World News CTV News
    DUBAI, United Arab Emirates -- Saudi police arrested a 14-year-old boy who was filmed dancing to the "Macarena" at an intersection in the Red Sea city of Jiddah, according to local media reports on Wednesday. Source
  • Ticketmaster accused of misleading and overcharging fans with platinum seats

    Canada News CBC News
    A Calgary mother says pricey platinum-level tickets she bought through Ticketmaster to see Bruno Mars turned out to be anything but 24-carat magic. It was supposed to be a special night for 11-year-old Mitra Pooranalingam and his mom Priya — his first concert to see his favourite singer perform July 30 at Rogers Place in Edmonton. Source
  • Hey Macarena: Dancing teen arrested in Saudi Arabia

    World News CBC News
    Police in Saudi Arabia arrested and later released a 14-year-old boy who was filmed dancing to the '90s hit song Macarena at an intersection in the Red Sea city of Jeddah, according to local media reports on Wednesday. Source
  • Princes William and Harry speak candidly about Diana's death

    World News CTV News
    LONDON -- Princes William and Harry have spoken candidly about the death of their mother, Princess Diana, in an interview marking 20 years since she was killed in a car crash. The princes told the BBC of their shock at hearing about the car accident and how Queen Elizabeth II tried to give them time to mourn in private. Source
  • Nanny accused of burning, beating kids gets 15 years

    World News CTV News
    DANBURY, Conn. - A Connecticut nanny accused of burning a 3-year-old's hand and leg on a hot stove, lifting her up by her hair and trapping her inside a toy chest has been sentenced to 15 years in prison. Source