Burkina Faso capital security tightens after jihadi attack

OUAGADOUGOU, Burkina Faso -- In the wake of a weekend attack that left up to 32 dead, security was beefed up across Burkina Faso's capital Monday as businesses and banks reopened.

See Full Article

The West African nation also announced a joint effort with Mali in the fight against jihadi elements in the West African region.

"Please go ahead and search my bag. We want to be protected and there is no way to refuse this," said Fati Doussa, who visited a bank to get some cash. Metal detectors have been placed at banks.

"We know it is just going to be different from now on," said Ousmane Sawadogo, a cell-phone seller some 200 metres from the Splendid Hotel.

The attack, which began Friday night, was the first of its kind in Burkina Faso, a largely Muslim country that had managed to avoid the kinds of jihadist attacks that have hit neighbouring Mali since 2012.

At the site, forensic experts and investigators from France and Burkina Faso, dressed in white, filled the brown dusty street Monday, gathering evidence in secured areas near the Cappuccino Cafe and Splendid Hotel.

Military forces ended the siege Saturday. Officials said forces killed three attackers in the Splendid Hotel, and another in a neighbouring hotel.

But a Burkina Faso gendarme official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not permitted to speak to the press, said they are investigating the person killed at the nearby hotel to determine if it was an attacker.

Burkina Faso's security minister, Simon Compaore, on Sunday said 32 people were dead, including three jihadists. The toll had earlier been 28 killed in addition to four jihadists.

The toll includes a Ukrainian woman who was co-owner of the Cappuccino Cafe, along with her 9-year-old son, according to Ukrainian and Italian officials, and six Canadians, according to Canada officials. The Canadian Press reported that the six were travelling together as part of a humanitarian mission, four them were from the same family.

Others killed include seven citizens of Burkina Faso, two Ukrainians, two Swiss, two French and one each from the U.S., the Netherlands, Portugal and Libya, and one French-Ukrainian, according to Burkina Faso officials who released a partial list. Other bodies were being identified.

At least 176 people were freed by Burkina Faso and French forces by Saturday, he said.

Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb put out a formal statement Sunday naming three of the attackers, according to SITE Intelligence Group which monitors extremist sites. It said it was a "drop in the sea of global jihad."

The group on Friday claimed responsibility for the attack saying al-Mourabitoun fighters carried out the siege. Al-Mourabitoun joined AQIM last year and they claimed their first joint attack was the Nov. 20 seizure of the Radisson Blu in Mali that killed 20 people.

Burkina Faso and Mali's prime ministers met Sunday, and agreed to share intelligence and have join patrols along shared borders, they said.

"It is obvious that, faced with this situation, both countries are going to beef up transnational co-operation with other countries, share intelligence, have mixed patrols at our borders and use adequate means," said Burkina Faso Prime Minister Paul Kaba Thieba.

Makan Kone, spokesman for Mali's prime minister said the countries will continue to fighting extremism in the region.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Rohingya continue fleeing to Bangladesh despite repatriation deal

    World News CTV News
    DHAKA, Bangladesh - Rohingya refugees are continuing to flee from Myanmar into Bangladesh, even after the two countries said they will begin repatriating members of the minority ethnic group next week, a Bangladesh official said Friday. Source
  • Lac-Megantic jury to deliberate today for ninth consecutive day

    Canada News CTV News
    SHERBROOKE, Que. - Jurors will deliberate for a ninth consecutive day today at the trial of three men charged with criminal negligence causing death in the Lac-Megantic railway disaster. There was no news again from the 12 jurors on Thursday. Source
  • Man charged in presumed deaths of 2 Toronto men set to appear in court

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO - A man charged with first-degree murder in the presumed deaths of two men who vanished from Toronto's gay village last year is set to appear in court today. Bruce McArthur, a 66-year-old Toronto man, was arrested and charged yesterday as part of an investigation into the disappearance of Selim Esen and Andrew Kinsman. Source
  • Toronto shooting leaves 2 men dead, 2 more with life-threatening injuries

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO - An overnight shooting in Toronto has left two men dead and two others in hospital with life-threatening injuries. Toronto police say the four men, all reportedly in their 20s, were found in a car at about 1 a.m. Source
  • California couple's abuse of kids became torture, prosecutor says

    World News CTV News
    RIVERSIDE, Calif. - They were starved and shackled to their beds, sometimes for months. They were beaten and choked. They were given scant medical care, often denied use of a toilet and allowed to shower but once a year. Source
  • California couple's abuse of kids became torture: prosecutor

    World News CTV News
    RIVERSIDE, Calif. - They were starved and shackled to their beds, sometimes for months. They were beaten and choked. They were given scant medical care, often denied use of a toilet and allowed to shower but once a year. Source
  • Authorities amputate hand of convicted thief in Iran

    World News CTV News
    DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - A semi-official news agency is reporting that authorities in Iran have amputated the hand of a convicted thief in a prison in the country's northeast. The report from the ISNA news agency says one hand of the 34-year-old convict identified only as Ali was cut off by "guillotine" in a prison in Mashhad, some 900 kilometres (550 miles) northeast of the capital Tehran. Source
  • U.S. Congress likely racing toward a government shutdown

    World News CBC News
    A bitterly divided Congress hurtled toward a government shutdown this weekend in a partisan staredown over demands by Democrats for a solution on politically fraught legislation to protect about 700,000 younger immigrants from being deported. Democrats in the Senate have served notice they will filibuster a four-week, government-wide funding bill that passed the House Thursday evening, seeking to shape a subsequent measure but exposing themselves to charges they are responsible for a looming…
  • Australian prostitute convicted for infecting man with HIV

    World News CTV News
    PERTH, Australia - An Australian jury on Friday convicted a transgender prostitute of causing grievous bodily harm by knowingly infecting a client with HIV. Clayton James Palmer, who identifies as a woman and now goes by the name C.J. Source
  • Atlanta police: Someone stole a car, dumped 2 girls on roadways

    World News CTV News
    ATLANTA - Authorities are looking for someone they say stole an SUV with two children inside and left them on major roadways. Clayton County police Sgt. Ashanti Marbury tells news outlets that 1-month-old Ava Wilmer and 4-year-old Arya Davenport were found after their mother's vehicle was stolen from a QuikTrip. Source