Pakistan's ex-President Musharraf acquitted in murder case

QUETTA, Pakistan -- A court acquitted former Pakistani president Pervez Musharraf Monday in a murder case involving the killing of a separatist leader, Akbar Bugti, who had died in a 2006 military operation in Baluchistan province, lawyers said.

See Full Article

An anti-terrorism court announced the verdict in the southwestern city of Quetta, Baluchistan's provincial capital.

The court accepted the defence's argument that Musharraf had nothing to do with the killing, said his lawyer Akhtar Shah. He added that he had been pleading his client's innocence ever since the case was registered in 2009.

Musharraf's government in mid-2000s launched a crackdown on separatist insurgents in Baluchistan province and Bugti was killed in a raid in 2006. Separatists in the province want complete autonomy from Islamabad and have been fighting for a greater share of revenue from their region's natural resources.

The case against Musharraf was brought by Bugti's son, Jamil Bugti.

Bugti's lawyer Sohail Rajput said he will appeal the verdict in a higher court. He alleged favouritism extended to the former military dictator due to his powerful background.

The 70-year-old Musharraf took power in a 1999 coup and then stepped down in 2008. He later left the country, but returned to Pakistan in March 2013, hoping for a political comeback.

Instead, he got embroiled in court cases, including one involving treason charges, which are connected to his decision in 2007 to declare a state of emergency and detain senior judges, including the chief justice.

Musharraf, who was not in court Monday, has been released on bail pending all cases against him. He lives under tight security in the southern port city of Karachi.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Trump-McConnell feud threatens Republican agenda

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. President Donald Trump can't enact his agenda without Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. McConnell may not have a majority to lead without Trump's help. It's simple, and still so complicated. The strangest bedfellows in Washington are locked in an increasingly public and personal feud that defies conventional wisdom. Source
  • Up to 2,300 border crossers entering Quebec are under 18: minister

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Up to one-third of the 7,000 people who have crossed illegally into Quebec from the U.S. in the last six weeks are children, the province's immigration minister said Wednesday. Quebec's education department is considering running programs for the kids -- including teaching classes -- inside the temporary shelters set up to house refugee applicants in the Montreal area, said Kathleen Weil. Source
  • More than 90 'persons of interest' in B.C. girl's death: Police

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    BURNABY, B.C. — Police say they have identified more than 90 “persons of interest” in their homicide investigation into the death of a 13-year-old girl whose body was found in a suburban Vancouver park last month. Marrisa Shen’s body was discovered in some brush at Central Park in Burnaby on July 19 and police say they have narrowed a timeline and provided investigators with her whereabouts on the previous day. Source
  • Kelly seeks to restore White House order ahead of key fights

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- In his first month on the job, White House chief of staff John Kelly has made significant progress toward imposing discipline on a chaotic operation, even as it's clear he still struggles to have the same effect on the president himself. Source
  • More than 63,000 customers blacked out by storms in Quebec

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    MONTREAL — More than 63,000 Hydro-Quebec customers were without electricity early Wednesday after severe thunderstorms ripped through southern Quebec, Montreal and the Laurentian region north of the city. Most of the outages were in the Montreal area affecting more than 42,000 homes and businesses, with another 8,000 blackouts reported in the Laurentians and a further 7,500 in communities south of Montreal. Source
  • 1-armed man arrested with machete, clown mask calls it prank

    World News CTV News
    BIDDEFORD, Maine -- A one-armed Maine man accused of startling neighbours by going for a stroll wearing a clown mask and brandishing a machete says it was supposed to be a prank. Thirty-one-year-old Hollis resident Corey Berry pleaded not guilty Wednesday to criminal threatening and weapons charges. Source
  • Military police charge recruit with sexual assault, second case this month

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- A military recruit has been charged with sexual assault in relation to a series of alleged incidents at a Quebec training camp last fall, the second such case in as many weeks. Military police say the most recent charges relate to the alleged assault of three people undergoing basic training at the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu in November. Source
  • Police identify 90 persons of interest in death of B.C. teen Marrisa Shen

    Canada News CTV News
    BURNABY, B.C. -- Police say they have identified more than 90 "persons of interest" in their homicide investigation into the death of a 13-year-old girl whose body was found in a suburban Vancouver park last month. Source
  • Woman claims stranger's ashes in father's urn, sues for $2.5M

    World News Toronto Sun
    PORTLAND, Ore. — A woman is suing an Oregon cremation company for $2.5 million, claiming it gave her the remains of a stranger instead of her deceased father. Kimberly Grecco, 53, discovered the remains were her not her father’s as she prepared to spread the ashes on Father’s Day last year, The Oregonian/OregonLive reported Tuesday. Source
  • Bans on campfires, backcountry travel lifted in B.C. as wildfire risk drops

    Canada News CTV News
    WILLIAMS LAKE, B.C. -- Restrictions on travel to British Columbia's backcountry and campfires are slowly being lifted in some parts of the province as improved conditions have lowered the wildfire risk. Campfires are once again allowed in most areas of the Prince George and northwest fire centres while officials from the BC Wildfire Service say a ban prohibiting access to the backcountry in the Cariboo region will also be rescinded by the end of the day. Source