'Each time I heard gunfire, I prayed to God': Survivors recall Burkina Faso attack

OUAGADOUGOU, Burkina Faso -- As al-Qaida fighters attacked the cafe where he worked, Clement Djiguende was saved by chance: A jihadist who had been firing at patrons simply ran out of bullets.

See Full Article

The gun stuck for a moment. Then the militant, dressed in black and a turban, tried several times to reload. That's when Djiguende and another server bolted toward the bathrooms not far from the bar where only moments earlier they had been serving cold drinks on just another Friday night.

About 20 other people were already crowding into the toilets in a bid to save their lives as the sound of gunfire resumed at the Cappuccino Cafe. Others tried to climb through the restaurant's broken windows. Some managed to get to the roof where they waited for the carnage to stop.

On the cafe's large outdoor terrace, "wounded people were crying out in pain," the bartender recalled. "The jihadists then started killing the wounded."

At least 10 of the 28 victims of the Ouagadougou attacks lost their lives at the cafe that night, including the Ukrainian wife and son of the restaurant's owner, officials confirmed. An American missionary who ran an orphanage in Burkina Faso was also killed while meeting with a local pastor at the cafe.

An audio tape later released by the North Africa affiliate of al-Qaida that claimed responsibility for the carnage was titled: "A Message Signed with Blood and Body Parts." The attackers arrived in a vehicle with license plates from neighbouring Niger and spoke with an Arabic accent when screaming in French, witnesses said.

The cafe had long been a popular hangout in Ouagadougou, with a menu of Western dishes and a bakery that sold birthday cakes and pastries, among other items.

Witnesses said four attackers stormed the cafe around 7:30 p.m. Not only did they shoot at patrons, they also created another deathtrap by setting the cafe ablaze.

Soon it began filling with smoke, forcing Djiguende and the others in the restrooms to wet pieces of their clothing in the sink to cover their faces as they tried to escape by crouching close to the ground. Heat from the flames had broken the huge windows, and people were trying to crawl out without getting cut by the glass.

"Upon reaching the terrace, my hand touched a body, but oddly enough, I kept it together," he said. "Then I crossed another and then a third body, where I laid and pretended for a while that I too was dead."

After getting out, Djiguende kept crawling for another 6 yards (meters) beyond the restaurant before springing to his feet and running into another nearby restaurant that had not been attacked.

By then, the jihadists had entered the neighbouring Splendid Hotel. Andre Bationo, a waiter at the hotel, said he was cleaning in the dining room when a girl selling handicrafts to guests burst in to say that jihadists were killing people outside.

He ran to an employee room by the kitchen but found the door locked. Panicking, he made his way into a bathroom. Bationo turned off all the lights, laid down on his stomach and waited.

"I heard people crying and running in every direction in the hallways, but then the sound of gunfire became very loud," he said.

It was an al-Qaida fighter, who flung open the door to the bathroom and tried to turn the light on.

"I heard a little 'click-click,' but the light wasn't coming on very quickly," Bationo said.

The fighter pulled out a flashlight and his cellphone, then made a call speaking loudly in a language that Bationo didn't understand. After a few minutes, the jihadi went back into the hotel, and gunfire rang out for several minutes before he returned.

Bationo, who suffers from high blood pressure, was certain if the al-Qaida militant didn't kill him, the stress of him coming in and out of the hiding spot several times surely would.

"Each time I heard gunfire, I prayed to God. And each time the sound of weapons stopped, I kept hope that I would get out of here alive," he recalled. "I stayed there lying on my stomach until 6 a.m., when the French soldiers came and forced me to leave."

French special forces and troops from Burkina Faso searched the hotel throughout the night, looking for the attackers and any explosives they may have left behind. Witnesses said the assailants had fled to another restaurant in the neighbourhood.

Ultimately, all four people believed responsible for the attack were killed. Three of the bodies were found at the Taxi Brousse restaurant.

On Sunday, guests who had fled for their lives returned to the hotel to collect their belongings. The nearby Cappuccino Cafe stood in ruins.

The attack destroyed not only the place where Djiguende worked but also any sense of security he had far from the violence in neighbouring Mali.

"Burkina Faso," he said, "will never be the same again."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Family sues after child, 5, killed in rotating restaurant

    World News CTV News
    ATLANTA -- The family of a 5-year-old boy killed when he became caught in a rotating Atlanta restaurant is suing the company, saying it failed to prevent a "longstanding safety hazard." The lawsuit comes after Charlie Holt died in the Sun Dial, a restaurant atop the 73-story Westin Peachtree Plaza hotel. Source
  • Small Ontario town to offer second round of generous incentives to move there

    Canada News CTV News
    A northern Ontario town that offered generous incentives to potential newcomers in a bid to revitalize the community says its efforts were successful enough to merit a second round. Officials in Smooth Rock Falls, Ont. Source
  • Roy Moore stands with homophobic supporters

    World News CTV News
    BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- A smiling Roy Moore stood shoulder to shoulder with his fiercest religious allies. Flanked by a huge sign for Moore's Senate campaign, one supporter railed against the "LGBT mafia" and "homosexualist gay terrorism. Source
  • U.S. man admits tricking teenage girls into online sex acts

    World News CTV News
    TRENTON, N.J. - Authorities in New Jersey say a Florida man accused of blackmailing five teenage girls to pose nude and engage in sexual conduct on web cameras has pleaded guilty to manufacturing child pornography. Source
  • Beagle in critical condition with six gunshot wounds to the head

    Canada News CTV News
    A beagle named Sadie Mae is in critical condition in the Ottawa-area after being shot in the head. The eight-year-old dog was found wondering along a trail in Carp, Ont. about a week ago. Source
  • Caught on camera: Stranger enters idling truck with children alone inside

    Canada News CTV News
    A Calgary father is grateful his children are safe after a stranger entered his truck with his two young daughters alone inside. Mike Ashworth left his vehicle running in his driveway after buckling in his two and five-year-old girls on Friday morning. Source
  • 'King of cling' celebrity designer Azzedine Alaï?a dead at 77

    World News CBC News
    Some might know his name from a quick reference by Alicia Silverstone about her party dress in the 1995 film Clueless. Others will recognize his extensive celebrity clientele. Tunisian fashion designer Azzedine Alaï?a, whose form-fitting designs earned him the title "king of cling," has died at the age of 77, according to media reports. Source
  • Ohio court justice deletes Facebook post on sexual history

    World News CTV News
    In this Oct. 29, 2010, file photo, William O'Neill, an Ohio appeals court judge selected as the Democratic nominee for U.S. House of Representatives to represent Ohio's 14th District, laughs during a campaign stop at the Democratic party headquarters in Mentor, Ohio. Source
  • U.S. nuclear commander would propose other options before a strike on North Korea

    World News CBC News
    The commander of the U.S. nuclear arsenal says he would not blindly carry out an ordered strike by President Donald Trump. General John Hyten says he's well aware of the rules of engagement with nuclear weapons, telling an audience of senior political, military and diplomatic officials gathered in Halifax that he's thought about this a lot. Source
  • NYC subway to use gender-neutral terms during announcements

    World News CTV News
    NEW YORK -- When it comes to the New York City subways, there's no such thing as ladies and gentlemen. Conductors on subway trains have been told to stop addressing passengers as "ladies and gentlemen" when making announcements about delays, detours or other things, and instead use the gender-neutral terms "passengers," "riders," and "everyone. Source