Iran releases Americans in breakthrough prisoner exchange

VIENNA -- Four Americans detained in Iran will be coming home and seven Iranians in U.S. custody also will win their freedom in a breakthrough swap negotiated by the longtime foes, officials in both countries said.

See Full Article

As well, a fifth American was freed separately.

The news emerged as a landmark deal took effect Saturday relieving sanctions on Iran in return for its progress in pulling back its nuclear program.

Washington Post reporter Jason Rezaian, former U.S. Marine Amir Hekmati, pastor Saeed Abedini and Nosratollah Khosravi-Roodsari, whose name had not been previously made public, were freed from custody in Iran and were to be flown to Switzerland, U.S. officials said. U.S. student Matthew Trevithick was released independently of the exchange on Saturday and already was on his way home.

In turn, the U.S. will pardon or drop charges against seven Iranians -- six of whom are dual U.S.-Iranian citizens -- accused or convicted of violating U.S. sanctions.

Three were serving prison terms and now have received a commutation or pardon. Three others were awaiting trial; the last one made a plea agreement.

It's unclear if they will leave the U.S. for Iran. They are free to stay in the United States.

In addition, the U.S. will drop Interpol "red notices" -- essentially arrest warrants -- on 14 Iranian fugitives it has sought, officials said.

The announcement of the exchange came shortly before Iran was certified as having met all commitments under the nuclear deal with six world powers.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and other officials involved in the accord met in Vienna as the diplomatic achievement unfolded.

The release of the prisoners and the nuclear deal developments capped weeks of intense U.S.-Iran diplomacy that took several unexpected turns after an Iranian ballistic missile test in October and then the detention on Jan. 12 by Iran of 10 U.S. Navy sailors and their two boats in the Persian Gulf.

Frederick J. Ryan, Jr., publisher of The Washington Post, said in a statement, "We couldn't be happier to hear the news that Jason Rezaian has been released from Evin Prison. Once we receive more details and can confirm Jason has safely left Iran, we will have more to share."

Hekmati's family released a statement saying: "We thank everyone for your thoughts during this time. There are still many unknowns. At this point, we are hoping and praying for Amir's long-awaited return."

Trevithick, the student from Hingham, Massachusetts, went to Iran in September for a four-month language program at an institute associated with Tehran University, his family said in a statement. It said he was held for 40 days in Evin Prison, but gave no reason for his detention.

Negotiations over detainees grew out of the Iran nuclear talks. In discussions in Europe and elsewhere, Kerry and nuclear negotiator Wendy Sherman were able to establish a separate channel of talks that would focus on the U.S. citizens.

American officials didn't want the citizens used as leverage in the nuclear talks, and didn't want to lose their possible release if the talks failed to produce an agreement.

The discussions then gained speed after last July's nuclear deal. In talks in Geneva and elsewhere, a team led by Obama's anti-Islamic State group envoy, Brett McGurk, worked on the details of a possible prisoner swap. The Iranians originally sought 19 people as part of the exchange; U.S. officials whittled down the number to seven.

Among American politicians, Republican presidential candidates Donald Trump and Ted Cruz and House Speaker Paul Ryan gave cautious praise to the release of the prisoners, particularly Abedini, but said they never should have been held in the first place. Democratic candidate Bernie Sanders praised diplomacy as the key to solving the detainee issue. Hillary Clinton also welcomed the developments while saying Iran should not be thanked because it should never have detained the Americans.

Robert Levinson, who disappeared in Iran in 2007 while working for the CIA on an unapproved intelligence mission, wasn't part of the deal. American officials are unsure if the former FBI agent is even still alive. The Iranians have always denied knowing his location.

Levinson's case was aggressively pursued, officials said, adding that Iran has committed to continue co-operating in trying to determine Levinson's whereabouts.

The exchange also didn't cover Siamak Namazi, an Iranian-American businessman who advocated better ties between Iran and the U.S. He was thought to have been arrested in October.

According to the official IRNA news agency, the seven freed Iranians are Nader Modanloo, Bahram Mechanic, Khosrow Afghahi, Arash Ghahraman, Tooraj Faridi, Nima Golestaneh and Ali Saboonchi. It didn't provide any further details.

The lawyer for Mechanic, who has been jailed since his indictment last April on charges of illegally exporting microelectronics technology to Iran, said his client was "elated" to be pardoned.

"He's been incarcerated for nine months for a crime that he's just accused of but did not commit," said lawyer Joel Androphy. "To me, it's just an injustice. You would expect this in some third-world country, not the United States." The Justice Department uses the spelling of 'Mechanic' in court filings.

------

Dareini reported from Tehran, Iran; Lee reported from Washington. Donna Cassata and Eric Tucker in Washington, Amy Anthony in Providence, Rhode Island, Adam Schreck in Dubai and George Jahn in Vienna contributed to this report.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Dashcam video captures large fireball soaring through sky in Alberta

    Canada News CTV News
    A mysterious, large fireball soaring through the sky sent Albertans in northern parts of the province hurrying to social media to share images and videos of the rare event. At around 5:20 p.m. on Wednesday evening, CTV Edmonton started receiving calls and tweets from viewers located north of Fort McMurray, Alta. Source
  • 'It's been hell': Man sues trampoline park after breaking neck

    Canada News CTV News
    A 19-year-old Edmonton man who was left paralyzed after a jump at a local trampoline park has filed a $17-million lawsuit against the facility, alleging it didn’t do enough to ensure his safety. One year ago, while Landon Smith and some friends were visiting Jump Park Trampoline in Sherwood Park, Alta. Source
  • Republicans rush to find enough votes to avoid U.S. government shutdown

    World News CBC News
    Republican leaders in the U.S. Congress stepped up their efforts on Thursday to round up the votes needed to pass a temporary extension in government funding and prevent a looming shutdown. For months, the Republican-controlled Congress has been struggling to reach an agreement to fund the government, which is operating on its third temporary funding extension since the 2018 fiscal year began on Oct. Source
  • P.E.I. police remind people to eat food, rather than detergent pods

    Canada News CTV News
    KENSINGTON, P.E.I. - A P.E.I. police force is taking a light-hearted approach to a strange and dangerous online trend. An officer with Kensington police posted a video on its Facebook page describing the dangers of eating laundry detergent pods. Source
  • Spain, Portugal seize cocaine hidden in shipped pineapples

    World News CTV News
    LISBON, Portugal -- Spanish and Portuguese police say a joint operation resulted in the seizure of 745 kilograms (1,642 pounds) of cocaine, much of it allegedly concealed inside pineapples shipped from Latin America. The Iberian police forces announced the big drug bust on Wednesday. Source
  • Trump denies changing position on wall with Mexico

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON - U.S. President Donald Trump is pushing back against his own chief of staff over the border wall with Mexico. Trump tweets that “The Wall is the Wall, it has never changed or evolved from the first day I conceived of it. Source
  • Grandparents of starved, shackled children in California shocked at the news

    World News CBC News
    The grandparents of 13 starved and tortured children say their son's family looked happy and healthy when they last visited the family in California six years ago. "They were just like any ordinary family," said Betty Turpin, the 81-year-old mother of David Turpin. Source
  • Lawyers for Montreal man accused in Michigan airport stabbing want a charge dropped

    World News CBC News
    Attorneys are asking a judge to drop one of the two charges against a man who is accused of stabbing a police officer at a Michigan airport. By staying silent, Montreal man pleads not guilty to stabbing Michigan airport police officer Source
  • Lac-Megantic jury to deliberate today for eighth consecutive day

    Canada News CTV News
    SHERBROOKE, Que. -- Jurors will deliberate for an eighth straight day today at the trial of three men charged with criminal negligence causing death in the Lac-Megantic railway disaster. There was no news from the 12 jurors Wednesday, a day after they sent a letter to the judge telling him they were at an impasse. Source
  • Family of Toronto girl who claimed her hijab was cut apologizes: reports

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- The family of an 11-year-old Toronto girl has reportedly apologized for the "pain and anger" they caused, after the girl's claim that a man cut her hijab turned out not to be true. Source