Suspect in death of American in Italy to stay behind bars, judge rules

ROME -- An Italian judge on Saturday upheld the arrest of a Senegalese man jailed in the slaying of an American woman, the suspect's lawyer said.

See Full Article

The judge questioned Cheik Tidiane Diaw, suspected of killing Ashley Olsen, at a closed-door hearing earlier in Florence to determine if he should stay in jail. The lawyer, Antonio Voce, said Judge Matteo Zanobini ruled that Diaw should remain behind bars.

While prosecutors have accused Diaw of aggravated homicide, no formal charges have been lodged.

Olsen, 35, originally from Florida, was found dead in her apartment on Jan. 9 after her Italian boyfriend, an artist in Florence, became alarmed when he hadn't heard from her and asked the apartment's owner to let him inside to check.

An autopsy determined she had been strangled a day earlier and also suffered skull fractures. According to witnesses, Olsen and Diaw met at a Florence nightclub a few hours before the attack.

Prosecutors said surveillance video cameras along the route showed the two walked together toward her apartment. They also told reporters that Olsen and Diaw weren't very lucid since they had consumed alcohol and likely other substances. Investigators said the woman was slain after the two had sex, which the prosecutors described as consensual. Lab analyses following last week's autopsy are expected to determine exactly what substances Olsen had consumed.

Voce said Diaw has told investigators that he and Olsen consumed "a lot of cocaine and a lot of alcohol."

Speaking by telephone from Florence, the lawyer also said his client Diaw told the judge at the hearing that he used Olsen's telephone to try to call for help. Investigators have said Diaw took the woman's phone with him when he left the apartment.

According to the lawyer, Diaw denies strangling Olsen, contending he pushed her to the floor twice after she shoved him in what he described as humiliating attempt to make him leave the apartment after sex. Voce says Diaw has also maintained that Olsen was alive when he left the house in a taxi.

Police arrested him after finding traces of his DNA on a condom and cigarette butt in the apartment. Diaw, 27, was living at his brother's flat in Florence and had work giving out publicity flyers about the city's nightclubs.

Olsen's funeral was held Friday in Florence. Her burial had to be in Italy, because the murder probe is still in progress.

Her father teachers at a design school in Florence, a city that draws foreigners for its Renaissance architecture and its art-rich museums and churches. She moved there a few years ago.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • U.K. police at reported incident at Oxford Circus station

    World News CTV News
    Photos British police are responding to reports of an incident at Oxford Circus subway station, Friday, Nov. Source
  • Dutch family takes N.B. village council to court over fight to keep horses

    Canada News CTV News
    Four-and-a-half years ago, Gerrie and Jan Dangremond and their two teenage daughters left their home in Holland and moved to New Brunswick in search of a home with more space. The couple’s younger daughter, Valerie, 16, needed more room to realize her childhood dream of becoming a farmer and owning horses, Gerri Dangremond told CTVNews.ca on Thursday. Source
  • Moose on the loose near busy Ontario highway

    Canada News CTV News
    A moose wandering near a busy highway in southern Ontario is causing quite the commotion after it was captured on camera by a CTV Toronto helicopter. The wayward moose was spotted walking near the Buttonville Airport in Markham, Ont. Source
  • 2 girls raped, 12-year-old sister killed in northern Mexico

    World News CTV News
    MEXICO CITY - A 12-year-old girl is dead after an assailant attacked her and raped her two young sisters in their home in the northern Mexico border city of Ciudad Juarez. The prosecutor's office in Chihuahua state says girl died of strangulation. Source
  • China says it will inspect kindergartens after chilling abuse report

    World News CBC News
    Dozens of upset parents gathered today outside a kindergarten in Beijing run by a U.S.-listed company to demand answers, after reports emerged alleging some children had been molested, abused and left with what appeared to be needle marks on their bodies. Source
  • Woman wants charge of killing twin in cliff crash dismissed

    World News CTV News
    HONOLULU -- A murder charge against a woman accused of deliberately driving off a cliff in Hawaii and killing her identical twin sister should be dismissed because prosecutors misled the grand jury that indicted her, a defence attorney said. Source
  • 'I'm glad it's going slowly — You don't deserve a bullet:' Uma Thurman slams Harvey Weinstein

    World News CBC News
    Actress Uma Thurman has posted icy American Thanksgiving tidings for disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein and his "wicked conspirators." "I am grateful today, to be alive, for all those I love, and for all those who have the courage to stand up for others," Thurman began in a Thursday Instagram post featuring an image of her as the vengeance-seeking Bride character from the film Kill Bill. Source
  • Germany's SPD party, under pressure, warming to idea of coalition government

    World News CBC News
    Germany's Social Democrats bowed to pressure from across the political spectrum on Friday to help form a new government led by Chancellor Angela Merkel, but pledged that party members would have final say on any deal. Source
  • Winnipeg mother whose children were abducted to Mexico speaks out

    Canada News CTV News
    When Emily Cablek’s ex-husband abducted their two children and whisked them away to Mexico five years ago, she says she never gave up and never stopped searching for them. Four years later, thanks to a Crime Stoppers video that aired in Mexico and a keen-eyed neighbour, Cablek’s two children were found. Source
  • Santa won't write individual letters to schools, home delivery remains the same

    Canada News CTV News
    Canada Post says Santa won't be sending as many personalized letters to kids this year, though he still wants to make sure he responds to every note he receives. The postal agency says many children write letters to Santa both from home and from school, which gave Santa and his elves a total of 1.6 million notes to reply to last year. Source