Indonesia police arrest 12 suspects in deadly Jakarta bombings

JAKARTA, Indonesia -- Indonesian police said Saturday they have arrested 12 people suspected of links to the Jakarta bombings.

The audacious attacks by suicide bombers and gunmen on Thursday that targeted a Starbucks and traffic police post in bustling central Jakarta killed seven people, including two civilians.

See Full Article

More than 20 people were injured.

It was the first major assault by militants in Indonesia since 2009 and police said the attackers were tied to the Islamic State group through Bahrun Naim, an Indonesian fighting with IS in Syria.

National police chief Gen. Badrodin Haiti told reporters that arrests were made in west and east Java and in Kalimantan.

Elaborating on an earlier claim that the militants received funding from Bahrun, he said police have determined money was transferred to Indonesia via Western Union.

"One of those arrested had received money transferred from ISIS," Badrodin said, using an acronym for the Islamic State group.

Separately, authorities say they have blocked more than a dozen websites expressing support for Thursday's attack as they try to counter radical Islamic ideology online.

Communications Ministry spokesman Ismail Cawidu urged Indonesians to report militant websites and social media accounts.

In recent years, Indonesian counterterrorism forces successfully stamped out the extremist group Jemaah Islamiyah that was responsible for several attacks, including the 2002 bombings of bars in Bali which killed 202 people, as well as two hotel bombings in Jakarta in 2009 that killed seven people.

Terrorism experts say IS supporters in Indonesia are drawn from the remnants of Jemaah Islamiyah and other groups but are also trying to recruit new members.

Police on Saturday also released the names of all seven killed. Aside from the already identified Sunakin and Muhammad Ali, the attackers were Ahmad Muhazan Saron, who exploded a suicide bomb inside the Starbucks cafe, and Dian Joni Kurniadi. Police said they are still investigating the role of a fifth man known as Sugito. Their ages ranged from 25 to 43.

The civilian victims were Canadian Amer Quali Taher and Jakarta resident Rico Hermawan.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Johnny Depp sparks controversy with presidential assassination quip

    World News CBC News
    Johnny Depp has asked a crowd at the Glastonbury Festival when was the last time an actor assassinated a president. The remarks came during a segment Thursday in which Depp was speaking about U.S. President Donald Trump. Source
  • Man warns of barbecue brush dangers after metal bristle lodges in throat

    Canada News CTV News
    When Chester Poole sat down to devour a juicy burger straight off the barbecue recently, he was expecting to chomp down on the familiar taste of grilled meat. What he experienced instead, was a sharp pain in his throat and a trip to the emergency room. Source
  • Germany tells Turkey to back off after criticism of liberal Berlin mosque

    World News CTV News
    Seyran Ates, right, founder of the Ibn-Rushd-Goethe-Mosque preaches during the opening of the mosque in Berlin, Germany, Friday, June 16, 2017. (AP Photo/Michael Sohn) Source
  • Ontario man who won $22M plans to keep his job

    Canada News CTV News
    An Ottawa-area man who won $22 million in the lottery last week says he doesn’t plan to buy a new house or fancy car but will instead use the windfall to give back to his community. Source
  • Son of Russian spies regains Canadian citizenship

    Canada News CBC News
    The Toronto-born son of Russian spies has won a court battle to regain his Canadian citizenship after it was revoked by Ottawa. The long-awaited Federal Court of Appeal decision in Alexander Vavilov's favour is the latest twist in an intriguing espionage saga that spans continents and cultures. Source
  • Q&A: A look at U.S.-Canada border after airport stabbing

    Canada News CTV News
    DETROIT -- Authorities say a Canadian man from Tunisia crossed legally into the U.S. days before stabbing a police officer in the neck at a Michigan airport. The attack raises questions about security along the northern border, including what the process is for travellers and how many people are detained or denied entry. Source
  • Authorities charge alleged mosque attacker Darren Osborne with terrorism-related murder and attempted murder

    World News Toronto Sun
    LONDON — British authorities have charged 47-year-old Darren Osborne with terrorism-related murder and attempted murder in connection with the van attack on a crowd of Muslim worshippers near two north London mosques. London police had linked the death of a 51-year-old man to the mosque attack, saying he died of “multiple injuries” after a van plowed into worshippers at a time the area was busy with people spilling out of mosques following Ramadan prayers. Source
  • Turkey rejects Gulf Arab states' demands over its Qatar base

    World News CTV News
    DUBAI, United Arab Emirates -- Turkey on Friday rejected a key demand by several Arab states involved in a major dispute with Qatar, saying Ankara has no plans to shut down its military base in the small Gulf country. Source
  • Russia fires missiles from Mediterranean at ISIS in Syria

    World News CTV News
    MOSCOW -- Russia has fired cruise missiles from the Mediterranean Sea on positions of the Islamic State group in Syria, the Defence Ministry said on Friday, Moscow's latest show of strength in the conflict wracking the Mideast country. Source
  • Chinese parents alarmed by miniature crossbow craze

    World News CTV News
    BEIJING -- Powerful mini-crossbows that shoot toothpicks and needles are the new must-have toy for schoolkids across China -- and a nightmare for concerned parents and school officials. Several cities including Shenzhen and Qingdao have reportedly banned sales of the palm-sized contraptions, which sell for about US$1 and are powerful enough to puncture soda cans, apples and cardboard, depending on the projectile. Source