Woman pleads guilty in UN bribery scheme

NEW YORK -- A Chinese businesswoman pleaded guilty on Thursday in a bribery case accusing a former president of the United Nations General Assembly of accepting more than $1 million from sources in China to use his position to promote various business interests.

See Full Article

Heidi Piao told a judge in federal court in Manhattan that she and others arranged secret payments "with the intent of influencing John Ashe in his official capacity."

The plea was part of a co-operation agreement that could require Piao to testify against Ashe, a former ambassador to the United Nations from Antigua and Barbuda, and earn her leniency on bribery, money laundering and other charges that carry a combined maximum penalty of 60 years in prison.

Paio, a 52-year-old naturalized U.S. citizen was charged last year along with Chinese billionaire Ng Lap Seng, Ashe and others in a case U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said could show that "the cancer of corruption that plagues too many local and state governments infects the United Nations as well."

Court papers accuse Ashe of taking $200,000 from Piao and another defendant in exchange for attending and speaking in his official capacity at a private conference in China hosted by a real estate developer. In addition, Ashe also agreed to promote a $20 million deal for an unnamed company to install a "national internet security system" for Antigua, the court papers say.

The government's papers also accuse Ashe, 61, of using the bribes to support a lavish lifestyle, spending $59,000 on hand-tailored suits in Hong Kong, $54,000 for two Rolex watches and $40,000 to lease a new BMW X5. He also bought a membership at a South Carolina country club for $69,000, and built a $30,000 basketball court at his home in Dobbs Ferry, New York, according to the papers.

Ng has been accused of bribing Ashe to support a multibillion-dollar UN-sponsored conference centre that Ng hoped to build as his legacy in Macau, where he lived. Also charged was Francis Lorenzo, a deputy UN ambassador from the Dominican Republic, who prosecutors say was paid tens of thousands of dollars a month by Ng's organizations to support the Macau project.

All three men have pleaded not guilty and are out on bail. Their lawyers have said they are fighting the charges and will be vindicated.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Aviation officer gives his version of United flight removal

    World News CTV News
    CHICAGO - The Chicago aviation police officer who pulled a man off a United Airlines flight describes the man as physically and verbally combative during the incident. In response to a Freedom of Information Act request by The Associated Press, the aviation department released the officer's version of the April 9 incident for the first time and named the officer for the first time. Source
  • Chinese leader calls for restraint over North Korea

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON - As the world braces for a possible North Korean nuclear test, Chinese President Xi Jinping on Monday urged restraint in a call to U.S. President Donald Trump. American's UN envoy warned of a strike if Pyongyang attacks a U.S. Source
  • Venezuelans stage sit-in on roads to protest government

    World News CTV News
    CARACAS, Venezuela -- Protesters sprawled in lawn chairs, worked on math homework and played cards on main roads around Venezuela's cities Monday, joining in sit-ins to disrupt traffic as the latest slap at the socialist government. Source
  • Kinder surprise: Woman gets 3 years for trafficking drugs in chocolate eggs

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    YORKTON, SASK. - A guard who smuggled drugs hidden in chocolate eggs into an RCMP detachment in Saskatchewan has been sentenced to three years in prison. Bonny Maddaford, who is 45, pleaded guilty last month to trafficking cocaine, trafficking marijuana and breach of trust. Source
  • Kitchener couple face U.S. jail for fentanyl smuggling

    World News Toronto Sun
    Two people a day in Ontario end up toe-tagged in the morgue courtesy of killer opiate fentanyl. The opioid-based pain killer is roughly 100 times stronger than morphine. It can be fatal in even a tiny dose. Source
  • Haiti PM's motorcade hits 2, killing 1, near flooded zone

    World News CTV News
    PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti -- A motorcade carrying Haiti's prime minister struck two teenage boys, killing one, as officials drove into the country's third largest city on Monday to see flood damage left by heavy rains. Serge Daniel, a government delegate who was travelling in Prime Minister Jack Guy Lafontant's motorcade, said one of the vehicles accidentally struck two adolescents who darted into the road on a motorbike. Source
  • U.S. slams Syria with 271 sanctions [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    The United States has issued 271 sanctions in response to Syrian President Bashar Assad’s alleged use of chemical weapons. It’s one of the largest sanction actions in U.S. history. The Trump administration said Monday that it issued sanctions against 271 employees of Syria’s Scientific Studies and Research Center, the Syrian government agency responsible for developing and producing non-conventional weapons. Source
  • Tennessee teacher planned to take teenaged student to Mexico

    World News CTV News
    SACRAMENTO, Calif. - A Tennessee teacher charged with kidnapping a 15-year-old student and driving her to California had planned to take the girl to Mexico and took a boat from San Diego on a test run, according to federal court documents filed Monday. Source
  • Filipino strongman Duterte to ISIS: ‘I’ll eat their livers’

    World News Toronto Sun
    Tough-talking Filipino strongman Rodrigo Duterte is warning ISIS killers that he’ll “eat their livers.” Duterte told the opening of a sport tournament in Laos: “Just drive me to extreme anger, and I can eat a person. Give me salt and vinegar and I’ll eat his liver. Source
  • 'This simply cannot stand': Premier says all options on table to fight Catholic school ruling

    Canada News CBC News
    Premier Brad Wall says the recent court ruling that the province should not be funding non-Catholic students to attend Catholic schools "is not good news" for students in Saskatchewan. He told reporters Monday he has asked the ministers of justice and education to look at every option, including legal, constitutional and legislative options, to fight the application of the decision. Source