3 men convicted in London jewelry district heist

LONDON -- Three men were convicted Thursday of involvement in raiding a safe deposit in a London jewelry district, an audacious 14 million-pound ($20 million) heist that prosecutors called the largest burglary in English history.

See Full Article

The haul included gold, diamond and sapphire jewelry, cash and other valuables belonging to local jewelers in Hatton Garden.

Carl Wood, William Lincoln and Hugh Doyle, aged 48 to 60, were found guilty Thursday of being involved in the burglary. A fourth man, taxi driver Jon Harbinson, was cleared. Four other men aged 58 to 76, described as the ringleaders of the gang, pleaded guilty earlier.

The details of the carefully-planned heist -- not least the advanced ages of the thieves -- have fascinated Britain. One lawyer in the case said the crime was worthy of turning into a movie called "Bad Grandpas."

The men chose the Easter holiday weekend last year to carry out the crime, and were able to secure their break-in to a safe deposit facility in the jewelry quarter over two nights virtually without anyone noticing.

Disguised as workmen and dressed in fluorescent vests and hard hats, the thieves entered carrying bags and wheeled garbage bins for carrying off the booty.

Police said that on the first night, the gang climbed 12 to 14 feet (around four meters) down an elevator shaft but failed to access the deposit boxes. They returned the following night with more equipment, and successfully climbed into the vault through a hole they drilled in a thick cement wall. They then spent the whole night in the vault ransacking 73 deposit boxes.

It wasn't until security workers returned to work on Tuesday that the crime was discovered. Police have apologized for failing to respond to a midnight alarm that sounded at the start of the holiday weekend.

Detectives said there was no evidence that the raid was an inside job. Rather, they said the men meticulously researched and planned the heist months in advance over drinks in pubs, working out all the obstacles they would face.

Only part of the stolen goods has been recovered, and one of the key suspects -- a man known only as "Basil" who let the others into the building -- hasn't yet been identified and police are still investigating his whereabouts.

All the men are due to be sentenced on March 7.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • 1 dead, 14 injured in Cincinnati nightclub shooting

    World News CTV News
    CINCINNATI -- At least two people opened fire inside a crowded nightclub early Sunday morning, killing one person and wounding more than a dozen others in what authorities described as a chaotic scene. It was not clear what prompted the shooting at the Cameo club about 1:30 a.m. Source
  • Belarus police arrest over 400 protesters; many are beaten

    World News CTV News
    MINSK, Belarus -- Police in Belarus cracked down hard Saturday on opposition protesters who tried to hold a forbidden demonstration in the capital - a human rights group said more than 400 people were arrested and many were beaten. Source
  • Al Qaeda leader killed by U.S. airstrike: Pentagon

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- A U.S. counterterrorism airstrike earlier this month in Afghanistan killed an al-Qaida leader responsible for a deadly hotel attack in Islamabad in 2008 and the 2009 attack on a bus carrying the Sri Lankan cricket team, the Pentagon said Saturday. Source
  • 1 dead in Vegas Strip shooting, gunman surrenders

    World News Toronto Sun
    LAS VEGAS — A man riding on a double decker bus on the Las Vegas Strip pulled a gun and started shooting, killing one person and wounding another before barricading himself inside in a standoff that lasted hours before he finally surrendered. Source
  • Hong Kong set to get new leader as anointed by Beijing

    World News CTV News
    HONG KONG -- A committee dominated by pro-Beijing elites cast ballots Sunday to choose Hong Kong's next leader in the first such vote since 2014's huge pro-democracy protests. The election committee's 1,194 members voted at a downtown exhibition centre, with the city's former No. Source
  • Four found dead in B.C. home Friday afternoon: RCMP

    Canada News CTV News
    ASHCROFT, B.C. -- Four people were found dead in a home in a remote community in the B.C. Interior, RCMP said Saturday. Officers found the bodies when responding to a request for a check at a home in Venables Valley near Ashcroft on Friday afternoon. Source
  • Mounties confirm March 17 deaths in Moberly Lake, B.C., a double murder-suicide

    Canada News CTV News
    CHETWYND, B.C. -- RCMP say the deaths of three people found in a Moberly Lake, B.C., residence earlier this month was a double murder-suicide. Officers responded to reports of a disturbance in a subdivision in the remote northeastern community on the morning of March 17. Source
  • Dozens protest killing of journalist in northern Mexico

    World News CTV News
    MEXICO CITY - About 100 journalists and free speech supporters demonstrated Saturday to protest the killing of a Mexican reporter gunned down in the northern state of Chihuahua on Thursday. Miroslava Breach was the third journalist to be killed this month in one of the most dangerous countries for media workers. Source
  • Canada may yet have peacekeeping boots on the ground in 2017

    Canada News CBC News
    The Liberal government has yet to formally serve notice to the United Nations that it's ready to join international peacekeeping operations — something Prime Minister Justin Trudeau downplayed on Saturday. He insisted Canada might still have boots on the ground in 2017, which would head off a major embarrassment given that Canada is hosting a major gathering of peacekeeping nations later this year. Source
  • 'It got me out of the house,' Alberta woman sees 500 shows in 6 years after husband's death

    Canada News CBC News
    An Alberta woman had a hard time keeping it together after her husband passed away a few years ago. "When he first died it was really hard to talk to people because my voice would break," Sandy Moser told Daybreak Alberta. Source