UN pursuing resolution to impose tougher sanctions on North Korea: diplomat

The UN's most powerful body is working on a resolution that would impose tougher sanctions on North Korea to reflect its claim that it tested a powerful hydrogen bomb for the first time, a Security Council diplomat said Wednesday.

See Full Article

The diplomat, speaking on condition of anonymity because consultations have been private, said the North's claim that it tested a hydrogen bomb represents "a step change" and the council needs to show that its response also represents "a step change," even if the claim proves to be untrue, which is likely.

While there is widespread skepticism over the H-bomb claim, whatever the North detonated underground last week will likely push the country closer toward a fully functional nuclear arsenal. The North previously conducted atomic bomb tests in 2006, 2009 and 2013.

North Korea's UN mission circulated a report Wednesday from the country's news agency saying North Korean scientists and technicians "are in high spirit to detonate H-bombs ... capable of wiping out the whole territory of the U.S. all at once as it persistently moves to stifle the DPRK." The country's official name is the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

The Security Council pledged immediately after the Jan. 6 announcement of the nuclear test to swiftly pursue new sanctions. It strongly condemned the test as a "clear violation" of previous UN sanctions resolutions.

The diplomat said all 15 Security Council members agree that North Korea should be denuclearized, and this will be reflected in a new resolution.

The council last approved sanctions against North Korea after its third nuclear test on Feb. 12, 2013. That resolution was largely negotiated by the United States and China, North Korea's traditional ally.

The council diplomat said the United States, which is leading the current negotiations, is moving forward "in a careful, thorough and deliberate way," consulting closely with China but also with other council members, including Japan.

The diplomat said a new resolution isn't expected immediately, likely not in less than three weeks.

There was no immediate response to a request for comment from the U.S. mission to the United Nations.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Quebec teen fires off cease and desist letter to school board over smartphone rules

    Canada News CTV News
    SAGUENAY, Que. -- A 15-year-old Quebec boy is challenging his school's policy of confiscating a smartphone for 24 hours if it is used during class. A school board in the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean region confirms it received a letter from Vincent Duguay this week. Source
  • He said-he said: 10 times that Trump has contradicted Trump

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- It's a he said-he said thing. U.S. President Donald Trump once promised to be "very restrained" on Twitter -- "if I use it at all." He thought campaign foreign policy adviser George Papadopoulos was an "excellent guy" -- until Papadopoulos pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI. Source
  • Lac-Mégantic jury asks 3rd question as deliberations stretch on

    Canada News CBC News
    The jury in the Lac-Mégantic trial of three men charged in connection with 2013 rail disaster had another question Friday morning, as they embarked on their ninth day of deliberations. The jurors asked clarification on determining how the actions and decisions made by the three accused differed from what another employee would have done in the situation. Source
  • Palestinian family says it killed relative suspected of spying for Israel

    World News CBC News
    A Palestinian family in the Gaza Strip said it has killed a relative who allegedly helped Israel track down and kill three senior Hamas militants, including one of the man's own kinsmen. In a statement, the family of Ahmed Barhoum said it had shot him in the city of Rafah after being told by a militant group that Barhoum had provided information to Israel. Source
  • Trudeau to make 3-city U.S. tour to push business ties

    Canada News CBC News
    As tense NAFTA talks continue, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is preparing to make a three-city trip to the United States next month to explore new business opportunities and strengthen bilateral ties. Trudeau will stop in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Chicago from Feb. Source
  • Transportation watchdog must revisit air passenger obesity complaint

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA - The Supreme Court of Canada says a federal transportation watchdog was too hasty in dismissing a consumer advocate's complaint on behalf of obese airline passengers. The high court's 6-3 decision today means the Canadian Transportation Agency must take a fresh look at Gabor Lukacs' complaint against Delta Air Lines. Source
  • Supreme Court orders 2nd look at complaint about airline bumping obese passengers

    Canada News CBC News
    The Supreme Court of Canada has ordered the Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) to take another look at a complaint about how Delta Air Lines deals with obese passengers. The complaint was filed by Halifax-based passenger rights advocate Gabor Lukacs. Source
  • Boy, 13, charged as adult in crossbow killing of 10-year-old

    World News CTV News
    CHANDLER, Okla. -- Prosecutors in Oklahoma have charged a 13-year-old boy with first-degree murder in the crossbow killing of a 10-year-old friend. The death happened last fall in the small town of Chandler, about 65 kilometres northeast of Oklahoma City. Source
  • Border wall models thwart U.S. commandos in tests

    World News CTV News
    SAN DIEGO -- Recent assaults by tactical teams on prototypes of U.S. President Donald Trump's proposed wall with Mexico indicate their imposing heights should stop border crossers, a U.S. official with direct knowledge of the rigorous assessment told The Associated Press. Source
  • Turkey says no turning back from offensive in Syria

    World News CTV News
    ANKARA, Turkey -- Turkey's defence minister said Friday there is no turning back from his country's decision to launch a ground assault on a Syrian Kurdish-controlled enclave in northwest Syria, saying the offensive had "de facto" started with the sporadic Turkish military shelling of the area. Source