Carillon cafe reopens for first time since Paris attacks

PARIS -- With the blood and bullets now swept away, the Carillon cafe is reopening its doors for the first time since it was among the Paris sites targeted by Islamic extremists in November.

See Full Article

The French capital is trying to revive tourism and commerce after the attacks that cost 130 lives and cast a shadow of fear over the city.

Two other cafes targeted in the attacks have already reopened. The Carillon bears a small paper sign on its door saying it will reopen Wednesday afternoon. Bouquets of fresh flowers and photos of those killed inside on Nov. 13 still adorn the facade.

Paris tourism took a hit in the weeks following the violence. State statistics agency Insee said hotel occupancy in the French capital dropped by 25 per cent in the two weeks that followed the attacks, compared to November 2014. Air France estimates the attacks caused 120 million euros ($130 million) in lost revenue.

Parisian hotels -- that usually have no vacancy during Christmas and the New Year celebrations-- saw their activity drop by 30 to 40 per cent at the end of the year, said the president of hotel union UMIH in the Paris region, Evelyne Maes.

Following the attacks in January last year against satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo and a kosher supermarket that left 17 people dead, it took three months to return to normal, Maes said.

Museum attendance also suffered. Visitors at the Louvre decreased by 7 per cent from 9.3 million in 2014 to 8.7 million last year and 7.4 million people went to Versailles palace in 2015, a drop by 4 per cent.

Many tourists were going for a walk on the Champs Elysee avenue on Wednesday where extra security in the form of military patrols was noticeable.

Mexican Rosa Martinez, who is on a two-week trip to France with her husband, said the couple had planned their vacation long before the November attacks and were hesitant about whether they should cancel or not.

"But then we thought this is our dream vacation and there's no way these terrorists can deprive us of it," said the 45-year-old. "Actually we were right. The city is beautiful and we have met French people who say they are glad we are here, and now we see it as a way to show our support to the French people."

France has been in a state of emergency since the November attacks. Over 13,000 troops, including 6,000 in the Paris region, have been deployed on French territory in addition to police forces.

A group of 20 companies involved in France's tourism sector have launched an online campaign inviting people to share pictures with the hashtag .Parisweloveyou. In coming weeks, a giant hashtag sculpture covered by the mosaic of photos will be placed at a symbolic Parisian site. The precise location remains secret.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Special prosecutor to advise RCMP on B.C. political donations

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER - A special prosecutor has been appointed to provide legal advice to the RCMP over possible violations of British Columbia's Elections Act. A statement from the B.C. Criminal Justice Branch says David Butcher's appointment is in the public interest and he'll help the Mounties with legal advice in an investigation into contributions made to B.C. Source
  • 'Read my lips': Putin denies U.S. election hacking allegations

    World News CTV News
    MOSCOW -- President Vladimir Putin on Thursday emphatically denied allegations of Russian meddling in the U.S. presidential election and said Moscow would maintain hopes of improving relations while waiting for political infighting in Washington to stop. Source
  • Florida man sentenced to five years for DUI crash that killed wife as they had road sex

    World News Toronto Sun
    A Florida man has been sentenced to five years in prison following a booze-fuelled car wreck in 2014 that killed his wife as they had road sex. Matthew Notebaert, 33, told authorities he remembers his wife, Amanda, sitting on his lap before waking up inside their totaled vehicle beside her lifeless body. Source
  • 'I've missed her very much': Ontario man plans reunion with mom after winning lottery

    Canada News CTV News
    An Ontario man is planning to use part of his $12M lottery winnings to reunite with his mother, whom he hasn’t seen in 11 years. Sheba Sheba, who lives in Woodbridge, Ont., hasn’t seen his mother, who lives in Lebanon, in 11 years due to distance, health issues and a lack of funds. Source
  • Bombardier under fire for $32.6M US given to executives while taking government cash

    Canada News CBC News
    Bombardier is being slammed for its "sense of entitlement" after awarding $32.6 million US to senior executives even as it laid off thousands of workers and sought government aid. The payout represents an increase of nearly 50 per cent for its top five executives and board chairman, compared with 2015. Source
  • UBC researchers discover marijuana flavour genes, aim to create standards for taste

    Canada News CBC News
    Consumers can trust what varieties of wine taste like regardless of the store they buy it from, and they could soon have similar expectations for strains of marijuana, say researchers at the University of British Columbia. Source
  • 'Angel of Death' serial killer dies after attack in Ohio prison

    World News CTV News
    TOLEDO, Ohio -- A serial killer known as the "Angel of Death" after he admitted killing three dozen hospital patients in Ohio and Kentucky died Thursday, two days after investigators said he was attacked in prison, Ohio's prisons department said. Source
  • Trump takes 1st step in NAFTA renegotiation: Sends draft letter to Congress

    World News CBC News
    The Trump administration has taken an early step in renegotiating the North American Free Trade Agreement, sending the U.S. Congress a draft list of priorities for the negotiation that expresses hope for change in a broad range of areas. Source
  • Toronto police charge self-professed psychic with practising witchcraft

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Police in Toronto say they've charged a 37-year-old man with practising witchcraft. Investigators say the accused advertised his services as an astrologer and psychic in February and March. They allege a 44-year-old man who consulted the accused for psychic services earlier this month was told a sick family member had been the victim of an evil spirit. Source
  • Psychic hit with witchcraft charge after man pays $101K to remove evil spirit: police

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Police in Toronto say a psychic has been charged with pretending to practise witchcraft after a customer allegedly paid more than $100,000 to have an "evil spirit" removed. Investigators say the 37-year-old accused advertised his services as an astrologer and psychic in February and March. Source