Turkey arrest 1 in connection with Istanbul suicide bombing

ISTANBUL - Turkish police have arrested one person in connection with the suicide bombing in Istanbul that killed 10 foreigners, most of them German tourists, the interior minister said Wednesday.

See Full Article

The suspect was detained late Tuesday, Interior Minister Efkan Ala said during a news conference with his German counterpart. He didn't provide further details. Turkish media reports said police had raided a home in an affluent neighbourhood of Istanbul, detaining one woman suspected of having links to the Islamic State group.

On Wednesday, Turkish police also arrested 13 suspected IS militants, including three Russian nationals, a day after the bombing in Istanbul's historic Sultanahmet district. The attack, which also wounded 15 other people, including Germans, a Norwegian man and a Peruvian woman, was the latest in a string of attacks by Islamic extremists targeting Westerners.

Turkish authorities identified the bomber as a Syrian born in 1988, who had recently entered Turkey and wasn't among a list of potential bombers wanted by Turkey. Turkish media, including newspapers close to the government, identified him as Nabil Fadli, and said he was born in Saudi Arabia.

Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag said Wednesday that authorities were working to identify people connected to the attacker. He wouldn't provide details on the investigation, saying it would compromise those efforts.

The Russians were detained in the Mediterranean coastal city of Antalya, a popular destination for tourists, but it wasn't clear if the arrests were directly linked to the Istanbul bombing. The state-run Anadolu Agency said the suspects were allegedly in contact with IS fighters in conflict zones and had provided logistical support to the group. Ten other people were detained in Turkey's third largest city, Izmir, and in the central city of Konya.

The Russian Foreign Ministry in November said the number of Russians that left for Syria to fight for the Islamic State group at 2,719. Of these, 160 have been killed, 73 have returned and been tried and 36 have been arrested.

Tuesday's blast just steps from the historic Blue Mosque was the first by IS to target Turkey's vital tourism sector, although the militants have struck with deadly effect elsewhere in the country.

Eight Germans were among the dead and nine others were wounded, some seriously, German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier told reporters in Berlin. The nationalities of the two others killed in the blast weren't immediately released, but both were foreigners

German Interior Minister Thomas de Maziere arrived in Istanbul for talks with Ala and other Turkish officials to discuss the attack.

It wasn't clear if the attacker had specifically targeted Germans.

Germany committed Tornado reconnaissance jets to the military effort against the Islamic State group in Syria following the November attacks in Paris, and started flying missions from the Incirlik air base in Turkey last week. It also sent a tanker aircraft, as well as a frigate to help protect a French aircraft carrier in the eastern Mediterranean. It hasn't taken a direct combat role, however. Germany already was helping supply and train Kurdish forces fighting IS in northern Iraq.

The impact of Tuesday's attack, while not as deadly as two others last year, was particularly far-reaching because it struck at Turkey's $30 billion tourism industry, which has already suffered from a steep decline in Russian visitors since Turkey shot down a Russian warplane near the Syrian border in November.

-----

Geir Moulson in Berlin contributed to this report.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • NEB warns Trans Mountain pipeline builder to stop installing mats in streams

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- The National Energy Board is issuing a stern warning to the company building the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion for installing mats in streams to discourage fish from spawning where the pipeline is to be built. Source
  • Toddler who accidentally shot father dead asking 'for his daddy': Relatives

    World News Toronto Sun
    ST. LOUIS — Relatives say a St. Louis toddler who killed his sleeping father while playing with a gun has been asking “for his daddy.” The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that police say the two-year-old accidentally shot 27-year-old Darrion Noble in the neck Saturday afternoon. Source
  • Mounties investigating after 2 men found dead in motel room in Moosomin

    Canada News CTV News
    MOOSOMIN, Sask. -- Mounties are investigating after two men were found dead in a motel room in southeastern Saskatchewan. RCMP were called Monday to a motel on the Trans-Canada Highway in Moosomin. Two men were dead inside one of the room. Source
  • Ireland sets timeline for abortion referendum

    World News CBC News
    Ireland plans to hold a referendum next May or June on whether it should loosen some of the strictest abortion laws in the world, Prime Minister Leo Varadkar said on Tuesday. Abortion has long been a divisive issue in once stridently Catholic Ireland where, after a debate elicited large street protests from both sides, a complete ban was lifted in 2013. Source
  • Man killed by swarm of bees while doing yard work

    World News Toronto Sun
    FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — A Massachusetts man attacked by a swarm of bees while doing yard work has died. Alison Dahl tells The Sun Chronicle of Attleboro that her husband, Eric Dahl, was blowing leaves from the lawn of their Foxborough home on Saturday afternoon when he was swarmed by bees. Source
  • U.S. slaps new sanctions on 8 North Korean banks

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- New U.S. sanctions will punish eight North Korean banks and 26 bank workers living abroad, the Trump administration announced Tuesday, in the first use of new sanctioning powers granted by U.S. President Donald Trump. Source
  • Dyson plans to make electric vehicles by 2020

    World News CBC News
    British vacuum and consumer goods giant Dyson says it plans to release a fully electric vehicle by 2020. Company founder James Dyson released the news in an email to staff that the company later made public. Source
  • Man claims to find maggots in convenience store sub wrapper

    World News Toronto Sun
    EWING, N.J. — A man claims he found maggots in a sandwich he ordered from a convenience store in New Jersey. Chris Garcia tells The Trentonian he bought a buffalo chicken cheesesteak hoagie Saturday from a Wawa store in Ewing, where he lives. Source
  • London police release all but one in subway attack investigation

    World News CTV News
    LONDON - British police have released all but one of the seven suspects they arrested over the recent attack on a London subway train. The three men released Tuesday face no further police action. Source
  • Equifax CEO resigns in wake of data breach

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — Equifax CEO Richard Smith stepped down Tuesday, less than three weeks after the credit reporting agency disclosed a damaging data breach that exposed highly sensitive information for about 143 million Americans. His departure follows those of two other high-ranking executives who left in the wake of the company’s admission that hackers exploited a software flaw that it did not fix to access Social Security numbers, birthdates and other personal data that provide the keys to identify…