U.S. says 10 sailors will be returned after Navy boats drifted into Iranian waters

WASHINGTON -- Iran was holding 10 U.S. Navy sailors and their two small Navy boats after the boats had mechanical problems and drifted into Iranian waters, but American officials have received assurances from Tehran that they will be returned safely and promptly.

See Full Article

Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook told The Associated Press that the riverine boats were moving between Kuwait and Bahrain when the U.S. lost contact with them.

U.S. officials said that the incident happened near Farsi Island, situated in the Persian Gulf. They said that some type of mechanical trouble with one of the boats caused them to run aground and they were picked up by Iran. The sailors were in Iranian custody on Farsi Island at least for some time, but it's not certain where they are now.

The semi-official Iranian news agency, FARS, said the Iranian Revolutionary Guard's navy has detained 10 foreign forces, believed to be Americans, and said the sailors were trespassing in Iranian waters.

"We have been in contact with Iran and have received assurances that the crew and the vessels will be returned promptly," Cook said.

The incident comes amid heightened tensions with Iran, and only hours before President Barack Obama is set to deliver his final State of the Union address to Congress and the public. It set off a dramatic series of calls and meetings as U.S. officials tried to determine the exact status of the crew and reach out to Iranian leaders.

Secretary of State John Kerry, who has forged a personal relationship with Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammed Javad Zarif through three years of nuclear negotiations, called Zarif immediately on learning of the incident, according to a senior U.S. official. Kerry "personally engaged with Zarif on this issue to try to get to this outcome," the official said.

Kerry learned of the incident around 12:30 p.m. EST as he and Defence Secretary Ash Carter were meeting their Filipino counterparts at the State Department, the official said.

This comes on the heels of an incident in late December when Iran launched a rocket test near U.S. warships and boats passing through the Strait of Hormuz.

The officials were not authorized to discuss the sensitive incident publicly so spoke on condition of anonymity.

The incident also takes place just days before Iran is expected to satisfy the terms of last summer's nuclear deal. Once the UN nuclear agency confirms Iran's actions to roll back its program, the United States and other Western powers are obliged to suspend wide-ranging oil, trade and financial sanctions on Tehran. Kerry recently said the deal's implementation was "days away."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Toronto councillor wants Pride parade grant axed after event bans police floats

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Amid mounting controversy over police participation in pride events across the country, a Toronto city councillor is calling for a municipal donation to Canada's largest Pride parade to be cut after the event banned police floats from future festivities. Source
  • Quebec introduces income-tax cuts and projects balanced budget

    Canada News CTV News
    QUEBEC - As governments across Canada fund services with billions in deficit spending, Quebec announced a third consecutive balanced budget Tuesday containing modest personal income-tax cuts. Finance Minister Carlos Leitao's penultimate budget before next year's provincial election makes the elimination of a health tax retroactive to 2016 for Quebecers earning less than $134,000 a year. Source
  • Quebec budget 2017: Trains, more for education, tax cuts for austerity-weary Quebecers

    Canada News CBC News
    Small tax cuts and bigger than expected increases for health and education will drive Quebec government spending in 2017. The Liberal government's fourth budget, tabled Tuesday, continues an effort begun last year to ease the pain of the austerity measures that marked the beginning of its mandate. Source
  • Touting coal industry, Trump dumps Obama's climate-change plan

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Declaring “the start of a new era” in energy production, U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order Tuesday that he said would revive the coal industry and create jobs. The move makes good on his campaign pledge to unravel former President Barack Obama’s plan to curb global warming. Source
  • Conservative senators come to Lynn Beyak's defence while others say 'shame'

    Canada News CBC News
    Conservative senators came to the defence of their colleague Lynn Beyak Tuesday, saying she has the right to free speech and should remain a member of the Red Chamber's Aboriginal Peoples committee, despite her rosy views of the residential school system. Source
  • Jean Lapierre remembered one year after fatal plane crash

    Canada News CBC News
    A commemorative mass was held Tuesday in memory of Jean Lapierre and the six others who were killed in a small plane crash over the Magdalen Islands one year ago. People gathered at Église Saint-François-Xavier de Bassin on the anniversary to pay their respects. Source
  • White House calls for domestic cuts to finance border wall

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. President Donald Trump is proposing immediate budget cuts of $18 billion from programs like medical research, infrastructure and community grants so U.S. taxpayers, not Mexico, can cover the down payment on the border wall. Source
  • Trump to meet China's Xi first week in April: U.S. official:

    World News CTV News
    In this Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2016 file photo, China's President Xi Jinping applauds during the bilateral trade agreements signing ceremony at the Palacio de La Moneda in Santiago, Chile. (AP / Luis Hidalgo, File) Source
  • Parents accused of murdering disabled son, setting house ablaze

    World News Toronto Sun
    GUILFORD, N.Y. — The parents of a mentally and physically disabled New York teenager have been indicted on murder charges that allege they killed him in the family’s New York home before setting it on fire to cover up the crime. Source
  • Number of snow days in N.S. schools amounts to a crisis: expert

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- An education expert says it is "bizarre" how often Nova Scotia schools are closed because of weather -- and the number of days lost this year amounts to a crisis. Paul Bennett, director of Schoolhouse Consulting in Halifax, said there has been an average of 12 lost days this school year in the province due to inclement weather. Source