American woman found dead in Italy was strangled: autopsy

FLORENCE, Italy -- An autopsy has determined that an American woman whose naked body was found last week in her Florence apartment was strangled with an object such as a rope, an Italian prosecutor said Tuesday.

See Full Article

Prosecutor Giuseppe Creazzo cautioned that more lab results are needed to pinpoint time of Ashley Olsen's death.

The 35-year-old had been living in Florence for about three years. Autopsy findings so far indicate that she died in roughly a 36-hour-period between the morning of Friday and the early afternoon of Saturday. The the corpse, with bruises and scratches on the neck, was discovered after her Italian boyfriend expressed alarm he hadn't heard from her in a few days and asked the landlady to open the door.

Olsen, originally from Florida, was last seen by friends early Friday at a popular Florence nightclub.

It could be weeks before results of analyses of body tissue and fluid are ready to narrow the time-frame when she was strangled, Creazzo said.

Laboratory results will also help determine whether Olsen had been sexually assaulted, Creazzo said, adding that there were no external signs of sexual attack.

Creazzo said at this point investigators have no suspects.

Corriere della Sera newspaper quoted the boyfriend as saying the couple had quarreled over a minor matter three days before her corpse was found, and that he tried to call her but that Olsen didn't answer her phone.

It was unclear when the body might be released for burial, as prosecutors won't give the go-ahead until they are sure more forensic medical testing isn't needed for the coroner's report.

Olsen's father teaches in Florence, and her social circles included the art community in the Tuscan capital, renowned for its Renaissance architecture and masterpiece-rich museums and churches.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • No suitors step up for stake in pipeline as Kinder Morgan deadline looms

    Canada News CBC News
    Just over a week remains until the May 31 deadline for abandoning Kinder Morgan Canada's Trans Mountain pipeline expansion, and no suitors have publicly emerged to step into the builder's shoes. Analysts and observers say they remain perplexed by Finance Minister Bill Morneau's comment last week that "plenty of investors would be interested in taking on this project," after the federal government said it would offer an "indemnity" or insurance to guarantee it is built. Source
  • North Korea nuclear site trip for foreign journalists underway

    World News CBC News
    International journalists left on a marathon journey to a North Korean nuclear test site on Wednesday, after Pyongyang belatedly cleared a number of South Korean media to witness what it says will be the dismantling of its only nuclear test facility. Source
  • SCC to hear case that pits journalists against police, prosecutors

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO - Canada's highest court is set to hear a closely-watched case today that pits journalists against police and prosecutors. Vice Media plans to urge the Supreme Court of Canada to overturn a ruling that reporter Ben Makuch give the RCMP materials related to interviews he did with an accused terrorist. Source
  • U.S. employee in China reported strange sounds, pressure

    World News CTV News
    BEIJING -- A U.S. government employee in southern China reported abnormal sensations of sound and pressure, the State Department said Wednesday, recalling similar experiences among American diplomats in Cuba who later fell ill. In an emailed notice to American citizens in China, the department said it wasn't currently known what caused the symptoms in the city of Guangzhou, where an American consulate is located. Source
  • Senators bow to will of elected government on transport modernization bill

    Canada News CBC News
    The Senate has bowed to the will of the Trudeau government on an omnibus transportation modernization bill. Senators voted 41-31 Tuesday to drop their insistence on amendments to Bill C-49 — which, among other things, is aimed at preventing rail shipments of grain from getting backlogged again. Source
  • Safety alert in Toronto after apparent random stabbing attack

    Canada News CTV News
    Toronto police are warning the public after a man allegedly attacked two teenagers with a knife in what is believed to be a random assault.Visit CTV Toronto for more details on the case The 15-year-old boys were walking in the area of Jaguar Street and Meandering Trail in Scarborough, just east of Toronto, on Tuesday afternoon when the incident occurred. Source
  • Videos of two shrieking lynx posted by Ontario man and his girlfriend go viral

    Canada News CTV News
    An Ontario man who shot a viral video of two lynx shrieking in each other's faces says he's no stranger to the animals, but was shocked by what he saw. "I knew right away it was going to be a rare, special capture," said Ed Trist, who lives in northern Ontario. Source
  • 2 Ebola patients who escaped quarantine in Congo are found dead

    World News CBC News
    Two of three Ebola patients who escaped quarantine in the Congo river port city of Mbandaka have died, the head of medical charity Doctors Without Borders's (Médecins Sans Frontières) mission in the city said Wednesday. The third patient was found alive and is under observation by MSF and the World Health Organization, Henri Gray said. Source
  • City looks for answers after zombie alert sent to residents

    World News CTV News
    LAKE WORTH, Fla. - Officials say they still don't who sent a "zombie alert" to residents of a Florida city following a power outage. Lake Worth spokesman Ben Kerr says an independent investigation is underway to determine who was behind the message sent to some 7,880 customers during a 27-minute power outage Sunday. Source
  • G7 and European Union unite to reject recent election in Venezuela

    World News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- Canada and its fellow G7 countries along with the European Union issued a joint statement today saying they are united in rejecting and denouncing the recent presidential election in Venezuela. The May 20 election of Nicolas Maduro has already attracted widespread condemnation, with Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland earlier calling the vote "illegitimate and anti-democratic. Source