New York village votes to keep logo that shows man choking Native American

WHITESBORO, N.Y. - Residents of a central New York village want to keep their logo that has been called racist and offensive because it appears to show a white man choking a Native American.

See Full Article

In a non-binding vote Monday night, residents voted 157-55 to not change their current seal, according to Patrick J. O'Connor, mayor of the Village of Whitesboro.

Whitesboro's website says the emblem dates to the early 1900s and depicts a friendly wrestling match between village founder Hugh White and an Oneida Indian. It says White won the match and the lasting respect and goodwill of the Oneidas.

The seal appears on village trucks, police cars, signs and documents. Controversy has waxed and waned over the years and came to a head last summer when an online petition was posted by someone from out of town who saw the logo and took offence.

Village officials said Monday night's vote was informal and they plan to discuss the results at a meeting Tuesday night.

Village clerk and historian Dana Nimey-Olney said residents were presented several drawings to choose from, including settlers and Indians standing together.

The seal has been modified slightly over the years. After a notice of claim was filed in the 1970s calling the picture offensive, a new version was drawn with White's hands on the Indian's shoulders instead of on his neck, Nimey-Olney said.

"Whitesboro views this seal as a moment in time when good relations were fostered," Nimey-Olney said. "It is a wrestling match, part of the history, and nothing more."

Regardless of the backstory, people tend to see the seal as depicting violence against Native Americans, Joel Barkin, a spokesman for the Oneida Indian Nation of central New York, said in July when the online petition was started. He said that perception makes it an inappropriate symbol to represent a community.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • South Korean military court convicts gay soldier over sex

    World News CTV News
    SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of - A South Korean military court has sentenced an army captain to a suspended prison term for having sex with a fellow male soldier. Human rights groups have criticized the ruling as regressive, saying it further intimidates the country's already persecuted sexual minority groups. Source
  • Trump, Pope Francis to meet at Vatican

    World News CBC News
    Concluding his tour of the ancestral homes of the world's three largest monotheistic religions, U.S. President Donald Trump is poised to call on Pope Francis, the famously humble pontiff with whom he has publicly clashed. Trump, midway through his gruelling nine-day maiden international journey, will meet the pontiff at the Vatican early Wednesday where the two will have a private audience laden with religious symbolism and ancient protocol. Source
  • Trump set to meet Pope Francis

    World News CTV News
    ROME - Concluding his tour of the ancestral homes of the world's three largest monotheistic religions, U.S. President Donald Trump is poised to call on Pope Francis, the famously humble pontiff with whom he has publicly clashed. Source
  • Texas Senate rejects 'bathroom bill'

    World News CTV News
    AUSTIN, Texas - The Texas Senate is planning to reject a House attempt to revive the transgender "bathroom bill" and seek a conference committee to reconcile differences in proposals that each chamber passed on the issue. Source
  • Police should have moved in earlier in Sydney cafe siege, coroner says

    World News CTV News
    SYDNEY, Australia - Police responding to a deadly hostage crisis in a Sydney cafe underestimated the gunman's threat and should have stormed the building earlier, rather than waiting to act until the gunman had killed a captive, a coroner said Wednesday after concluding a 2- 1/2 year inquiry. Source
  • Hardening 'soft targets' won’t stop terror attacks: experts

    World News CTV News
    Security officials around the world are scrambling to harden so-called “soft targets” -- plentiful and vulnerable civilian gathering sites like night clubs, outdoor festivals and outside stadiums -- in the wake of the latest deadly bombing attack. Source
  • Strong winds knock out power to 10s of thousands across B.C.

    Canada News CBC News
    A strong blast of cold windy weather has hit B.C. hard, resulting in power outages in communities far and wide across the province. As of 7:30 p.m. PT, there were over 50,000 customers without power, with significant outages in Prince George, Quesnel, Salmon Arm, Parksville, Pender Island, Oak Bay, Saanich, and throughout the Lower Mainland. Source
  • Families may boycott delayed MMIW inquiry as deadline approaches

    Canada News CTV News
    Families of missing and murdered indigenous women gathered on Parliament Hill Tuesday to voice their anger over the lack of progress in the inquiry. “We’re losing our loved ones even now,” said victim’s family member Jocelyn Wabano-Iahtail. Source
  • Manchester bomber identified as local man of Libyan descent

    World News CTV News
    MANCHESTER, England -- The man who police say blew himself up in a packed concert arena in Manchester, killing 22 people, did not make a strong impression on his neighbours. Residents of the Manchester suburb of modest brick semi-detached homes where 22-year-old Salman Abedi lived remembered seeing the tall, thin young man who often wore traditional Islamic dress. Source
  • Sickened, disgusted by Manchester terror attack, but not afraid

    World News Toronto Sun
    For some this would have been their very first concert, a ticket they’d received as a special Christmas gift or purchased with babysitting money they’d been saving for months. On social media, they and their fellow Arianators had been counting down the days until they would finally see Ariana Grande in concert. Source