Oregon milita says it has accessed government files at wildlife refuge

BURNS, Ore. - The leader of a small, armed group occupying a national wildlife refuge in southeastern Oregon said Monday he and his followers are going through government documents stored inside refuge buildings.

See Full Article

Ammon Bundy told reporters the documents will be used to "expose" how the government has discriminated local ranchers who use federal land for cattle grazing.

Bundy said the documents would also help secure the release of Steven and Dwight Hammond, two area ranchers convicted of arson who returned to prison last week to serve longer sentences. The Hammonds' case set off the occupation of the Burns-area refuge on Jan. 2.

Bundy said his group is not accessing government computers at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, including personnel files.

After the news conference, the group drove in a convoy to a ranch near the refuge and tore down a stretch of government-erected fence. The goal, according to the armed men, was to give the rancher access to the range that had been blocked for years. It's not clear where the fence was located or which rancher sought the group's help.

The refuge is administered by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Spokesman Jason Holm said because the documents and files at the refuge may have personally identifiable information, the agency "is taking necessary steps to ensure employee and family safety."

The agency strongly condemned the destruction of the fence and said the action undermines hard-earned conservation impacts achieved in the area.

"Removing fences, damaging any Refuge property, or unauthorized use of equipment would be additional unlawful actions by the illegal occupiers," Fish and Wildlife said in a statement. "Any movement of cattle onto the Refuge or other activities that are not specifically authorized by USFWS constitutes trespassing."

Sixteen full time employees and one part time employee usually work at the refuge, Holm said. Some who can't work away from the refuge have taken administrative leave, while others are working from home or another office.

In Burns, about 48 kilometres from the refuge, schools reopened after being cancelled for a week over safety concerns due to the refuge standoff.

Government offices in the area remained closed, including those of the Bureau of Land Management. BLM spokesman Randy Eardley said about 60 BLM employees were working from home.

"There is a very clear threat to BLM employees," Eardley said, but he did not cite any specific threats.

Ammon Bundy called his group's occupation of the refuge "peaceful" and said the armed men would not leave until the Hammonds are out of prison and abuses against ranchers are exposed. Bundy called the occupation a "moral and righteous stand for the future of this country."

A man representing hunters and anglers, who arrived in Oregon from New Mexico this weekend, condemned the Bundy group at the news conference.

"What I see is a lunatic fringe of extremists who have taken my land over," said New Mexico Wildlife Federation executive director Garrett VeneKlasen. The group represents sportsmen, including hunters and anglers.

Federal, state and local law enforcement officials are monitoring the occupation but have not taken any action.

The county sheriff and many locals have asked that Bundy and his group leave. But Bundy says he is not ready to go.

Ammon Bundy is a son of Cliven Bundy, a Nevada rancher who was at the centre of a tense standoff with federal officials in 2014 over unpaid grazing fees.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Travis Vader eligible to apply for 'unescorted temporary absences' as early as next month

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Convicted killer Travis Vader will be eligible to apply for "unescorted temporary absences" as early as next month. Vader was sentenced to life in prison on Jan. 26, after being found guilty of manslaughter in connection to the 2010 deaths of Lyle and Marie McCann, aged 78 and 77. Source
  • Ex-Hong Kong leader gets 20 months in jail for misconduct

    World News CTV News
    HONG KONG -- A former leader of Hong Kong was sentenced Wednesday to 20 months in prison for misconduct after failing to disclose plans to rent a luxury apartment for his retirement from a businessman applying for a broadcasting license. Source
  • Renewed calls to review assisted death rules following death of Jocelyne Lizotte

    Canada News CBC News
    Advocates and law makers are renewing calls for changes to the rules surrounding doctor-assisted dying after a Montreal man was charged with second degree murder in connection with the death of his long-suffering wife. Michel Cadotte, 55, is accused of killing his wife, 60-year-old Jocelyne Lizotte. Source
  • Canadian attacked with machete in Thailand in stable condition: police

    Canada News CTV News
    CHUMPHON, Thailand - Police in Thailand have arrested two men accused of slashing a Canadian man with a machete while trying to steal a gold necklace from his female companion last week. The Bangkok Post reported in its online edition that Canadian Philip Sullivan, 68, and King Kulkaew of Bangkok had left a restaurant on foot last Wednesday in the southern city of Chumphon when they were followed by a pickup truck. Source
  • Briton compensated after Guantanamo release reportedly a suicide bomber in Iraq

    World News CBC News
    Jamal al-Harith, of Britain, a former inmate at Guantanamo Bay, gestures after his testimony about his time in detention to Europe's top human rights body in Paris, in this Dec. Source
  • Canada's government shouldn't be in the business of policing 'fake news'

    Canada News CBC News
    Worried about the supposed scourge of "fake news" taking over the media ecosystem? Don't worry, the Liberal government is aware of the issue, and they're here to help! Over the last couple of weeks, Canada's government has been sounding the alarm about the growing threat posed by fake news, something that is apparently deserving of federal intervention. Source
  • After a decade, this First Nation has clean tap water — but 71 others don't

    Canada News CBC News
    Makayla McWatch can clearly remember the first time she drank water from a tap at home. For the 12-year-old, it only came last summer. "My mom told me there's this fresh water we could drink. And I was like, 'What?'" she recalls. Source
  • Do we still need 3 square meals a day and breakfast in the morning?

    Canada News CBC News
    When Greg McRae was growing up, meal times at home were a regular thing. Breakfast would come right after he woke up. A sandwich or soup would be on the table for lunch around noon with his mom, dad and brother. Source
  • Canadian mobile speeds among world's fastest, OpenSignal data suggests

    Canada News CBC News
    Canadians may not be satisfied with the price they pay for wireless services, but new numbers out Wednesday suggest that they get some of the fastest data speeds in the world. According to wireless-mapping company OpenSignal, Canadian mobile users have access to the 12th-fastest data speeds in the world, out of a ranking of 87 countries. Source
  • Sean Cooper wiped out his mortgage in 3 years — and now he offers advice in new book

    Canada News CBC News
    In 2015, Sean Cooper did what many of us can only dream: he wiped out his mortgage in just three years — at age 30. It wasn't easy and once he achieved his goal, he took a break. Source