'Affluenza' teen's mom posts bond, release expected Tuesday

FORT WORTH, Texas - The mother of a Texas teenager who used an "affluenza" defence for a deadly wreck is expected to leave jail soon after a judge on Monday sharply reduced her bond.

See Full Article

Tonya Couch's bond was lowered from $1 million to $75,000. Couch posted the bond and will be released Tuesday morning "barring any unseen delays" after being fitted with a GPS monitor, Tarrant County Sheriff Dee Anderson said in a tweet posted late Monday night.

Couch will be required to wear the electronic ankle monitor and remain at the home of her 29-year-old son Steven McWilliams, except for appointments with her doctor and lawyer.

"I want her at her son's home, and that's where I want her to stay," said State District Judge Wayne Salvant, who also ordered Couch to pay nearly $3,200 in restitution to the sheriff's office for the cost of transporting her back to Texas from Los Angeles.

The 48-year-old woman is charged with hindering the apprehension of a felon after she and her son, Ethan Couch, were caught in a Mexican resort city. Ethan, 18, killed four people in a 2013 crash and was facing allegations that he violated his probation.

Authorities say Tonya Couch took $30,000 and fled with Ethan to Mexico out of fear that her son would be put behind bars for violating his probation. The two were caught Dec. 28 in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Tonya Couch was brought back to Texas last week after first being taken to Los Angeles. Ethan Couch remains in a Mexico City detention facility, where he is contesting his extradition.

Salvant said he understood prosecutors' concerns that Couch might flee again, but that the charge against her, while a third-degree felony, wasn't serious enough to merit a $1 million bond.

One of her attorneys, Stephanie Patten, said afterward that she wasn't sure if Tonya Couch would be able to post bond.

Ethan Couch was 16 and driving at three times the legal intoxication limit for adult drivers when he rammed a pickup truck into a crowd of people trying to help stranded motorists on the side of a North Texas road. Four people were killed in the June 2013 wreck.

A juvenile court judge gave the teen 10 years' probation, outraging prosecutors who had called for him to face detention time. The case drew widespread derision after an expert called by Ethan Couch's lawyers argued he had been coddled into a sense of irresponsibility by his wealthy parents, a condition the expert called "affluenza."

Despite all of the previous testimony about the teen's wealthy upbringing, his mother's attorneys argued she had few assets to her own name and couldn't pay the cost of a $1 million bond.

McWilliams testified Monday that his mother's bank account had been frozen by a court order and he wasn't able to access it. He also told a prosecutor upon questioning that he wouldn't have been surprised to have seen $100,000 from the sale of a house in the account.

Tonya Couch is separated from Fred Couch, Ethan's father, who owns a suburban Fort Worth business that does large-scale metal roofing. According to an arrest warrant, Tonya Couch is accused of telling Fred Couch that he would never see her or Ethan again before fleeing.

McWilliams testified that Fred Couch was "fairly adamant" he wasn't going to give her money.

Tarrant County criminal investigator Darran Gabbert testified Monday that Tonya and Ethan Couch had a "planning meeting" with several other people before leaving for Mexico. One person at that meeting was a teen who was in Ethan Couch's truck at the time of the crash, Gabbert said.

Gabbert said that teen's attorney had contacted him to say the teen had Ethan Couch's driver's license and a credit card. The teen didn't have his own ID, however, Gabbert said.

Tonya and Ethan Couch were found a few weeks after disappearing. Authorities say they were able to track them after the two ordered a pizza.

A Texas magistrate on Friday signed an order to examine Tonya Couch for "mental illness and mental retardation." The order said the court determined there was reasonable cause to believe she "has a mental illness or is a person with a mental retardation."


Associated Press writer Nomaan Merchant in Dallas contributed to this report.


Latest Canada & World News

  • Six children allegedly abducted in Calgary found near Toronto: police

    Canada News CTV News
    BOWMANVILLE, Ont. -- Police east of Toronto have found six children they say were allegedly abducted by a parent in Calgary earlier this week. Durham regional police say an officer came across the children, who are between 18 months and 11 years of age, in Bowmanville on Wednesday afternoon. Source
  • N.S. pair plead guilty to second-degree murder of young mother

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- Two people have admitted killing a young Halifax mother in 2014. Jason James Johnson and Kelly Amanda MacDonald, who are both in their 30s and live in Lawrencetown, N.S., pleaded guilty this morning to second-degree murder and interfering with human remains in the death of Catie Miller. Source
  • How does Canada's health-care system compare to other universal programs around the world?

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Did Donald Trump get it right when he criticized Canada’s beloved health-care system? During the third presidential debate, Trump said the Canadian system was “catastrophic” in some ways and that its citizens are known to head south for better care. Source
  • Two-thirds of wild animals will disappear by 2020, and humans are to blame, WWF says

    World News CBC News
    Worldwide populations of mammals, birds, fish, amphibians and reptiles have plunged by almost 60 per cent since 1970 as human activities overwhelm the environment, the WWF conservation group said on Thursday. An index compiled with data from the Zoological Society of London to measure the abundance of biodiversity was down 58 per cent from 1970 to 2012 and would fall 67 per cent by 2020 on current trends, the WWF said in a report. Source
  • Abu Sayyaf got $7.3 million from kidnappings

    World News CTV News
    MANILA, Philippines -- Abu Sayyaf pocketed at least 353 million pesos ($7.3 million) from ransom kidnappings in the first six months of the year and have turned to abductions of foreign tugboat crewmen as military offensives restricted the militants' mobility, a confidential Philippine government report said. Source
  • Somalia's al-Shabaab making comeback as Ethiopian troops withdraw

    World News CTV News
    MOGADISHU, Somalia -- Somalia's Islamic extremists, al-Shabab, appear to be making a comeback, having recently seized four towns and attacked a guesthouse in neighbouring Kenya, killing 12. The resurgence of Al-Shabab, which is allied to al-Qaida, could affect Somalia's plans to hold elections next month and further destabilize what is already one of the world's most fragile states. Source
  • UN preps for possible chemical attack in Iraq’s Mosul

    World News Toronto Sun
    BAGHDAD — The U.N.’s public health agency said Thursday it has trained 90 Iraqi medics in “mass casualty management,” with a special focus on chemical attacks, as part of its preparations for Iraq’s operation to retake Mosul from the Islamic State group. Source
  • Symbolic building crumbles after Italy struck with quake aftershocks

    World News CTV News
    Just two months after a powerful earthquake devastated central Italy on Aug. 24, a pair of strong aftershocks struck the same area late Wednesday. Amatrice, about 140 km east of Rome, was one of the hardest-hit towns during the original quake in August. Source
  • Teen killed in crash 'saving 45 lives' after signing donor form days earlier

    Canada News CTV News
    Next time you're renewing a piece of government-issued I.D., don't overlook the organ donation form that comes along with it. That's the message friends and family are sharing following the death of 16-year-old Tyler Klassen, who was fatally injured in a car crash two days after he filled out a donor consent form while signing up for his first driver's licence. Source
  • Massive fire tears through 5-storey NYC apartment

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — Fire officials say an overnight blaze that tore through a five-storey apartment building in Manhattan has left one person dead and 12 civilians and firefighters injured. The fire was reported around 3:30 a.m. Thursday in a building on East 93rd Street in the Yorkville neighbourhood on the Upper East Side. Source