LAPD chief recommends charges in fatal police shooting of homeless man

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles police chief has recommended criminal charges against an officer who shot and killed an unarmed homeless man.

See Full Article

The decision came after investigators concluded that Brendon Glenn was on his stomach trying to push himself up on May 5 when Officer Clifford Proctor shot the 29-year-old New York native in the back, Lt. John Jenal, a police spokesman, said Monday.

Investigators also found that Glenn wasn't trying to take a gun from Proctor or his partner when he was shot. Proctor's partner told investigators that he didn't know why the officer opened fire, Jenal said.

The officers were not wearing body cameras, but the shooting was captured on surveillance video. Police have declined to release the footage.

Jenal said police Chief Charlie Beck made the recommendation on charges last month to Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey. She will decide whether to charge Proctor and does not have to follow Beck's recommendation.

Lacey said it's her ethical obligation to remain impartial until her office finishes its own investigation.

"Decisions on whether or not to file criminal charges will be based solely on the facts and the law -- not on emotion, anger or external pressure," she said.

Possible charges could range from assault with a deadly weapon to manslaughter or second-degree murder, Jenal said.

The shooting drew angry protests and came amid tensions nationwide over police killings of unarmed black men. Both Glenn and Proctor are black.

The shooting marked the first time Beck has recommended charges against an officer who fatally shot someone while on duty. More than 100 such shootings have occurred since Beck became chief in late 2009.

Proctor's attorney, Larry Hanna, did not return calls from The Associated Press seeking comment but told the Los Angeles Times that Proctor saw Glenn going for his partner's gun. The decision to recommend charges against Proctor was political. Hanna said.

"There's a lot of people out there who want to see officers tried for any type of shooting," Hanna said. "When an officer is making a split-second decision and he sees somebody going for his partner's gun ... the officer's perception is very crucial here."

Glenn was among 21 people fatally shot by Los Angeles police in 2015, when the overall number of officer-involved shootings in the nation's second-largest city increased by 52 per cent.

Jenal said a number of circumstances set the shooting apart from others that have drawn criticism but no charges.

"In this case, the chief is describing that in his mind, the suspect was down, trying to push himself up, and the evidence gathered -- witness statements and video -- shows that the officer's statement that the suspect was going for a gun is not substantiated," Jenal said. "In the other ones ... the facts show that the officers were in the right and justified in using deadly force."

Civil rights leaders praised Beck's recommendation, while the president of the union that represents Los Angeles police officers criticized it.

"The chief should stay out of it, for or against," said Craig Lally, president of the Los Angeles Police Protective League.

"I don't think any chief of police in any city should say one way or another to prosecute or not to prosecute," he said. "Let (District Attorney) Jackie Lacey determine if there's enough evidence for a filing."

He declined to comment on the shooting itself.

Mayor Eric Garcetti said in a statement that he hopes Beck's recommendation is "considered with the utmost gravity."

"No one is above the law, and whenever use-of-force crosses the line, it is our obligation to make sure that principle is upheld," he said.

Glenn's confrontation with police began late at night on a block lined with bars and restaurants, when two officers responded to a 911 call saying a man had been arguing with a bouncer who wouldn't let him into a bar and was hassling passers-by, police said at the time.

The officers spoke to Glenn, who began walking away but then came back and began struggling with someone on the sidewalk, according to a police news release. The officers were trying to detain Glenn when the shooting occurred.

------

This story has been corrected by dropping Monday time element from lead. Beck actually made recommendation to district attorney last month.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • One killed, five hurt in Highway 401 crash near Quebec border

    Canada News CTV News
    LANCASTER, Ont. - One person was killed and five others were injured following a crash involving six vehicles on Monday on Highway 401 in eastern Ontario. Ontario Provincial Police say two tractor-trailers and four passenger vehicles collided in the highway's westbound lanes near the Quebec border at about 2:30 p.m. Source
  • Alberta RCMP officers cleared in fatal shooting

    Canada News CTV News
    EDMONTON - Alberta's police watchdog says two RCMP officers were justified when they shot and killed a man who was on a rampage with a stolen front-end loader and tried to use the massive machine to crush a police car with an officer inside against a tree. Source
  • North Korea issues fiery rhetoric over U.S.-South Korea drills

    World News CTV News
    SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of - North Korea's military on Tuesday greeted the start of annual U.S.-South Korean military drills with its standard fiery threats, vowing "merciless retaliation" for exercises Pyongyang claims are an invasion rehearsal. Source
  • Rate of illegal migrants slowing at Quebec border: federal officials

    Canada News CTV News
    Canada’s immigration minister says police are intercepting fewer refugee claimants illegally crossing into Quebec as officials intensify their efforts to curb misinformation encouraging migrants to head north. “We’re talking about an average of 140 people per day. Source
  • Bill Cosby hires Michael Jackson’s lawyer for sex assault retrial

    World News Toronto Sun
    PHILADELPHIA — Bill Cosby has hired Michael Jackson’s former lawyer to represent him at his November retrial on sexual-assault charges in Pennsylvania. Cosby’s spokesman announced Monday the 80-year-old comedian is bringing in Tom Mesereau to lead a retooled defence team. Source
  • 'We will win': Trump renews Afghanistan commitment

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Declaring the U.S. will win “in the end,” President Donald Trump vowed Monday night to keep American troops fighting in Afghanistan despite his earlier inclination to withdraw. But he insisted the U.S. would not offer “a blank check” after 16 years of war, and he pointedly declined to say whether or when more troops might be sent. Source
  • Aggressive bear follows 2-year-old girl into B.C. home

    Canada News CTV News
    A British Columbia mother says a black bear followed her two-and-a-half-year-old daughter up a staircase and through a patio doorway into their home on Saturday. Elery Froude of Gibsons, B.C., says she first was alerted to the presence of the bear inside her home around 5:30 p.m. Source
  • Search underway for missing U.S. sailors; Navy chief orders probe

    World News Toronto Sun
    SINGAPORE — The U.S. Navy ordered a broad investigation into the performance and readiness of the Pacific-based 7th Fleet after the USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker in Southeast Asia, leaving 10 U.S. sailors missing and five injured. Source
  • Louisiana mom says daughter's request for braids led her to confront racism

    World News CTV News
    A Louisiana mother said she had a revelation about racism after her white seven-year-old daughter asked for braids to look like her black friend. Brigette Diez Kerr initially hesitated, worried her daughter would be chastised at school for styling herself after her African-American classmate. Source
  • Trump vows to keep U.S. troops in Afghanistan but won't reveal details

    World News CBC News
    Declaring the U.S. will win "in the end," U.S. President Donald Trump vowed Monday night to keep American troops fighting in Afghanistan despite his earlier inclination to withdraw them. But he insisted the U.S. would not offer "a blank cheque" after 16 years of war, and he pointedly declined to say whether or when more troops might be sent. Source