Attacks on women in Cologne are 'intolerable': Merkel spokesperson

BERLIN -- A string of attacks on women in Cologne on New Year's Eve blamed largely on foreigners was "intolerable," Chancellor Angela Merkel's spokesman said Monday, but "nothing excuses" retaliatory assaults on immigrants.

See Full Article

Merkel has proposed making it easier to deport immigrants involved in crimes, and her spokesman Steffen Seibert emphasized the government is looking into both "possible consequences for criminal law (and) possible political consequences for the intolerable crimes."

But after Cologne police said a group of Pakistanis and a Syrian were attacked in the city on Sunday, Seibert said Germans must not blame all the nearly 1.1 million migrants who entered the country last year, and said the government is also focused on their welfare.

"We're doing all of these things to protect the population in Germany," he said. "We are also doing this for the great majority of innocent refugees who have sought refuge from bombs and war in our country, and who should get this protection and who are prepared to adapt to the rules and values in our country."

The six Pakistani nationals were attacked Sunday by around 20 people and two of them were briefly admitted to a hospital, police said. Also Sunday evening, a Syrian man was attacked by five people. He was injured but didn't need treatment.

Police said they received tips Sunday afternoon about groups of people who would "seek provocation," but were still investigating whether the subsequent attacks were racially motivated and whether there was any link to the New Year's assaults.

Those assaults stoked tensions over Germany's open-door policy to refugees and prompted politicians to call for tougher laws against migrants who commit crimes.

"As abominable as the crimes in Cologne and other cities were, one thing remains clear: there is no justification for blanket agitation against foreigners," Justice Minister Heiko Maas said, adding that some people "appear just to have been waiting for the events of Cologne."

Authorities and witnesses said the New Year's Eve attackers were among a group of about a thousand people, described as predominantly Arab and North African men, who gathered at Cologne's central train station. Some broke off into small groups and groped and robbed women, police said.

Maas has said German authorities need to quickly determine whether the assaults were co-ordinated, and may have been linked to similar offences in other cities including Hamburg. Incidents also were reported in Sweden and Finland.

North Rhine-Westphalia state police told lawmakers Monday, however, that so far their investigation had found no indication the Cologne attacks were co-ordinated, or linked to others, the dpa news agency reported.

Cologne police say 516 criminal complaints have now been filed with them in connection to the New Year's attacks. About 40 per cent involve allegations of sexual offences.

Cologne's police drew criticism both for their response and for their slowness to release information. Police chief Wolfgang Albers was dismissed Friday by North Rhine-Westphalia state's interior minister, Ralf Jaeger.

At a session Monday of the state legislature's home affairs committee, Jaeger said Cologne police hadn't called in reinforcements who were offered.

Jaeger said that witness and police reports "indicate that it was almost exclusively people with an immigrant background who committed these crimes."

In Sweden, where police are also investigating New Year's Eve assaults in the city of Kalmar, police confirmed reports there had also been widespread sexual assaults at a music festival in Stockholm last summer. Stockholm police spokesman Varg Gyllander refused to give the nationality of the suspects, but did say "this involves young men who are not from Sweden."

In a separate incident in Germany, police said Sunday that a Syrian and an Afghan were arrested in northern Germany on suspicion of attacking and robbing a French man who was wearing a Jewish skullcap at the Puttgarden ferry port. The incident happened on Saturday, and the two men had been denied entry to Denmark the previous day.

Frank Jordans and David Rising in Berlin and Karl Ritter in Stockholm contributed to this story.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Licence revocation warranted after lawyer's mortgage fraud, Ontario court finds

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- A lawyer involved in mortgage fraud deserved to be kicked out of the profession as the provincial regulator had originally decided, Ontario's top court ruled on Friday. In its decision, the Appeal Court said it could not understand why the disbarment penalty against John Abbott had been overturned in the first place. Source
  • Vancouver targets disposable cups, foam containers and bags

    Canada News CTV News
    City of Vancouver staff are preparing to present council with options to reduce the use of disposable coffee cups, plastic and paper shopping bags, foam food packaging and take-out containers. The city has set a goal of producing "zero waste" by 2040. Source
  • Caught on camera: Road rage kickstarts fiery chain reaction crash

    World News CTV News
    A dispute on a southern California highway between a motorcyclist and the driver of a sedan led to a fiery crash and rollover that was all caught on video. The passenger of a car following behind recorded video on Wednesday, that shows the motorcyclist kick at the back driver’s side of the Nissan before the car sharply swerves into the motorcycle, appearing to make contact. Source
  • Mistrial declared again in fatal shooting committed by Cincinnati police officer

    World News CBC News
    A mistrial was declared Friday in the murder retrial of a white University of Cincinnati police officer after the jury said it was hopelessly deadlocked on charges in the fatal traffic stop shooting of an unarmed black motorist. Source
  • Oops! Nunavut, Parks Canada reveal secret map of Franklin shipwreck

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Secrecy has surrounded the discoveries of the doomed ships of the Franklin Expedition since they were found — HMS Erebus in 2014 and Terror in 2016. First, former prime minister Stephen Harper insisted on revealing the Erebus find personally in a controlled photo-op. Source
  • New Jersey woman's prized necklace found in trash plant

    World News Toronto Sun
    OXFORD, N.J. — A New Jersey woman has been reunited with her special necklace thanks to a group of hardworking sanitation workers. Samantha LaRochelle was taken to St. Luke’s Hospital in Phillipsburg on Saturday after falling unconscious, NJ.com reported. Source
  • 'Stock up, just in case,' says union leader as LCBO strike deadline looms

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- The Liquor Control Board of Ontario and the union representing its workers say they are planning to work around the clock to prevent a strike ahead of Canada Day, but the union president says consumers, bars and restaurants would be wise to stock up this weekend, just in case. Source
  • Ohio man stole more than 500 signs: Police

    World News Toronto Sun
    AVON LAKE, Ohio — An Ohio man is facing charges after police say he stole more than 500 signs, claiming they were an eyesore and a distraction to drivers. John Hoelzl, of Avon Lake, was charged Wednesday with a felony count of receiving stolen property. Source
  • Ottawa seeks 'clarity' in court on tribunal findings on First Nations health

    Canada News CBC News
    The Liberal government says it is seeking "clarity" from the Federal Court on two aspects of a compliance order issued in May by a quasi-judicial human rights tribunal on the delivery of First Nations child health care. Source
  • 5 people die after being electrocuted at water park in Turkey

    World News CBC News
    Five people, including two teenagers and a 12-year-old, died Friday after being electrocuted at a water park pool in northwest Turkey, according to local media reports. The three children were caught up in an electrical current in the pool in the town of Akyazi, in Sakarya province, the state-run Anadolu Agency reported. Source