Pakistanis, Syrian attacked in Cologne amid tension over New Year's Eve assaults

BERLIN - A group of Pakistanis and a Syrian were attacked in Cologne amid tensions over New Year's Eve assaults in the city that have been blamed largely on foreigners, police said Monday.

See Full Article

Six Pakistani nationals were attacked Sunday by a group of around 20 people and two of them were briefly admitted to a hospital, police said. Also Sunday evening, a Syrian man was attacked by five people. He was injured but didn't need treatment.

Police said they received tips Sunday afternoon about groups of people who would "seek provocation," but were still investigating whether the subsequent attacks were racially motivated and whether there was any link to the New Year's assaults.

Those assaults have stoked tensions over Germany's open-door policy in the refugee crisis and prompted politicians to call for tougher laws against migrants who commit crimes.

Authorities and witnesses said the New Year's Eve attackers were among a group of about 1,000 people described as predominantly Arab or North African who gathered at Cologne's central train station. Some broke off into small groups and groped and robbed women, police said.

Cologne police say 516 criminal complaints have now been filed with them in connection to the New Year's attacks. About 40 per cent involve allegations of sexual offences.

In a separate incident, police said Sunday two migrants - a Syrian and an Afghan - were arrested in northern Germany on suspicion of attacking and robbing a French man who was wearing a Jewish skullcap.

Police said the 49-year-old was in a waiting room at Puttgarden ferry port Saturday when the two men, saying "Jew" in Arabic, shoved him to the floor. Police said they stole a bag containing cash, a bank card, a train ticket and a cellphone.

The two men had been denied entry to Denmark the previous day because they lacked the correct papers and were waiting for a train to a refugee centre.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Decades-long mystery of Second World War helmet finally solved

    Canada News CTV News
    A mysterious Second World War helmet lost for decades has finally been returned to its rightful owners, thanks to some sleuthing and luck online. The Di Cecco family first discovered the helmet when they moved into a Toronto-area home in the 1960s. Source
  • Canada's 150 year ends on ice, but no hockey pucks, triple jumps allowed

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- No figure skating. No hockey. No racing. No cell phones. But other than that have fun kids! Canadian Heritage Wednesday unveiled the details of the Canada 150 Ice Rink currently being built on the east lawn of Parliament Hill. Source
  • Regina man accused of smuggling Nigerians across Canada-U.S. border

    Canada News CTV News
    SASKATOON -- A man who pleaded guilty in the United States for his part in a human smuggling operation has been arrested and charged in Canada. RCMP say Victor Omoruyi of Regina was picked up at the Saskatoon International Airport on Tuesday. Source
  • Canada's largest school board votes to end armed police presence in schools

    Canada News CBC News
    Canada's largest school board has voted to end a controversial program that places uniformed police officers in dozens of public schools across Toronto. Toronto District School Board (TDSB) trustees voted 18-3 in favour of cancelling the School Resource Officer (SRO) program during a meeting on Wednesday night. Source
  • Sexual attacks against Rohingya may be war crimes: UN envoy

    World News CTV News
    Widespread atrocities against Rohingya Muslim women and girls have been orchestrated and perpetrated by Myanmar's military and may amount to war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide, the U.N. envoy on sexual violence in conflict said Wednesday. Source
  • Report: 2 women claim Franken touched them inappropriately

    World News CTV News
    MINNEAPOLIS - Two women are alleging that Minnesota Democratic U.S. Sen. Al Franken touched their buttocks during events for his first campaign for Senate. The women spoke to Huffington Post on condition of anonymity. Source
  • 12 of 14 Hurricane Irma nursing home deaths ruled homicides

    World News CBC News
    Authorities say the deaths of 12 of the 14 Florida nursing home patients who died after Hurricane Irma have been ruled homicides. The Sun Sentinel reports that autopsy results from the Broward County medical examiner's office were released Wednesday. Source
  • Daily public transit use could pose hearing loss risk: study

    Canada News CTV News
    Daily use of public transit might cause hearing loss. It’s a conclusion anyone who’s taken Toronto rail transit might reach after one ride, but researchers from the University of Toronto now have data to suggest it may be true. Source
  • 'I would draw the line:' Sask. premier candidate opposes abortion for rape victims

    Canada News CTV News
    REGINA -- One of the leading candidates in the race to become the next premier of Saskatchewan says he doesn't believe in abortion, even in the case of sex assault victims. Ken Cheveldayoff, a long-time Saskatoon member of the legislature for the Saskatchewan Party, also says anyone under 18 should need parental consent for the procedure. Source
  • Russia says expert body on Syria chemical attacks 'is dead'

    World News CTV News
    Russia's U.N. ambassador said Wednesday the expert body that has determined responsibility for chemical weapons attacks in Syria "is dead" -- but Moscow is ready to discuss "a new mechanism." Vassily Nebenzia told reporters after a closed Security Council discussion that the Joint Investigative Mechanism, or JIM, "has discredited itself completely. Source