Pakistanis, Syrian attacked in Cologne amid tension over New Year assaults

BERLIN - A group of Pakistanis and a Syrian were attacked in Cologne amid tensions over New Year's Eve assaults in the city that have been blamed largely on foreigners, police said Monday.

See Full Article

Six Pakistani nationals were attacked Sunday by a group of around 20 people and two of them were briefly admitted to a hospital, police said. Also Sunday evening, a Syrian man was attacked by five people. He was injured but didn't need treatment.

Police said they received tips Sunday afternoon about groups of people who would "seek provocation," but were still investigating whether the subsequent attacks were racially motivated and whether there was any link to the New Year's assaults.

Those assaults have stoked tensions over Germany's open-door policy in the refugee crisis and prompted politicians to call for tougher laws against migrants who commit crimes.

Authorities and witnesses said the New Year's Eve attackers were among a group of about 1,000 people described as predominantly Arab or North African who gathered at Cologne's central train station. Some broke off into small groups and groped and robbed women, police said.

Cologne police say 516 criminal complaints have now been filed with them in connection to the New Year's attacks. About 40 per cent involve allegations of sexual offences.

In a separate incident, police said Sunday two migrants - a Syrian and an Afghan - were arrested in northern Germany on suspicion of attacking and robbing a French man who was wearing a Jewish skullcap.

Police said the 49-year-old was in a waiting room at Puttgarden ferry port Saturday when the two men, saying "Jew" in Arabic, shoved him to the floor. Police said they stole a bag containing cash, a bank card, a train ticket and a cellphone.

The two men had been denied entry to Denmark the previous day because they lacked the correct papers and were waiting for a train to a refugee centre.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • South Korean military court convicts gay soldier over sex

    World News CTV News
    SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of - A South Korean military court has sentenced an army captain to a suspended prison term for having sex with a fellow male soldier. Human rights groups have criticized the ruling as regressive, saying it further intimidates the country's already persecuted sexual minority groups. Source
  • Trump, Pope Francis to meet at Vatican

    World News CBC News
    Concluding his tour of the ancestral homes of the world's three largest monotheistic religions, U.S. President Donald Trump is poised to call on Pope Francis, the famously humble pontiff with whom he has publicly clashed. Trump, midway through his gruelling nine-day maiden international journey, will meet the pontiff at the Vatican early Wednesday where the two will have a private audience laden with religious symbolism and ancient protocol. Source
  • Trump set to meet Pope Francis

    World News CTV News
    ROME - Concluding his tour of the ancestral homes of the world's three largest monotheistic religions, U.S. President Donald Trump is poised to call on Pope Francis, the famously humble pontiff with whom he has publicly clashed. Source
  • Texas Senate rejects 'bathroom bill'

    World News CTV News
    AUSTIN, Texas - The Texas Senate is planning to reject a House attempt to revive the transgender "bathroom bill" and seek a conference committee to reconcile differences in proposals that each chamber passed on the issue. Source
  • Police should have moved in earlier in Sydney cafe siege, coroner says

    World News CTV News
    SYDNEY, Australia - Police responding to a deadly hostage crisis in a Sydney cafe underestimated the gunman's threat and should have stormed the building earlier, rather than waiting to act until the gunman had killed a captive, a coroner said Wednesday after concluding a 2- 1/2 year inquiry. Source
  • Hardening 'soft targets' won’t stop terror attacks: experts

    World News CTV News
    Security officials around the world are scrambling to harden so-called “soft targets” -- plentiful and vulnerable civilian gathering sites like night clubs, outdoor festivals and outside stadiums -- in the wake of the latest deadly bombing attack. Source
  • Strong winds knock out power to 10s of thousands across B.C.

    Canada News CBC News
    A strong blast of cold windy weather has hit B.C. hard, resulting in power outages in communities far and wide across the province. As of 7:30 p.m. PT, there were over 50,000 customers without power, with significant outages in Prince George, Quesnel, Salmon Arm, Parksville, Pender Island, Oak Bay, Saanich, and throughout the Lower Mainland. Source
  • Families may boycott delayed MMIW inquiry as deadline approaches

    Canada News CTV News
    Families of missing and murdered indigenous women gathered on Parliament Hill Tuesday to voice their anger over the lack of progress in the inquiry. “We’re losing our loved ones even now,” said victim’s family member Jocelyn Wabano-Iahtail. Source
  • Manchester bomber identified as local man of Libyan descent

    World News CTV News
    MANCHESTER, England -- The man who police say blew himself up in a packed concert arena in Manchester, killing 22 people, did not make a strong impression on his neighbours. Residents of the Manchester suburb of modest brick semi-detached homes where 22-year-old Salman Abedi lived remembered seeing the tall, thin young man who often wore traditional Islamic dress. Source
  • Sickened, disgusted by Manchester terror attack, but not afraid

    World News Toronto Sun
    For some this would have been their very first concert, a ticket they’d received as a special Christmas gift or purchased with babysitting money they’d been saving for months. On social media, they and their fellow Arianators had been counting down the days until they would finally see Ariana Grande in concert. Source