Syrian minister says government doesn't want 'terrorist' groups at peace talks

DAMASCUS, Syria -- The Syrian government announced Saturday it is ready to attend peace talks later this month with the opposition in Geneva as a new airstrike in northern Syria killed and wounded scores of people, including many militants.

See Full Article

But Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem said Damascus also wants to see lists of the opposition groups who will attend and ensure that "terrorist" groups will not be represented.

State news agency SANA said al-Moallem made his comments Saturday while meeting in Damascus with U.N. envoy Staffan de Mistura. Al-Moallem's comments came shortly before opposition activists said an airstrike had killed at least 39 and wounded dozens of others.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said 39 people were killed, including many fighters from al-Qaida's affiliate in Syria, the Nusra Front, as well as detainees in the northwestern town of Maaret al-Numan. It said the targeted area included a jail and a courthouse run by Nusra Front.

The Nusra Front is one of the country's most powerful factions and is opposed to peace talks with the government, saying its aim is to step up an Islamic state in Syria. The group is fighting against government forces, the Islamic State group as well as some U.S.-backed rebel factions. Much like its rival, the Islamic State group, the Nusra Front imposes its own vision of Islamic Shariah law in territories it controls -- including Islamic courts and prisons.

The Syrian government has been carrying out airstrikes for years, which activists say have killed thousands of people. Russia began its own air campaign on Sept. 30 saying its airstrikes are meant to weaken the Islamic State group and other "terrorists" in Syria.

The Local Coordination Committees, another activist group, said the airstrike killed 51. The group posted a photo on its Facebook page showing several bodies covered with blankets and lined on a pavement. Another showed two dead bearded young men being loaded into an ambulance.

Syria-based activist Hadi Abdallah wrote on his Twitter account that the air raid killed 43 and wounded more than 100, claiming it was carried out by Russian aircraft.

The "terrifying massacres was carried out by Russian warplanes," Abdallah wrote, without saying why he believed they were Russian.

Conflicting casualty figures are common in the aftermath of airstrikes in Syria.

The Observatory said the warplanes fired four missiles that hit the Islamic court, which includes a jail, as well as a nearby road linking the court with a market.

De Mistura arrived in Beirut later Saturday and boarded a plane heading to Qatar, airport officials said in Beirut on condition of anonymity in line with regulations. He arrived in Syria on Friday and earlier this week, he met Syrian opposition officials in Saudi Arabia -- a main backer of some of the rebel groups trying to remove President Bashar Assad from power.

A statement Saturday from De Mistura's office described his meeting with al-Moallem as "useful" and said the U.N. envoy is "looking forward to the active participation of all relevant parties" in the upcoming talks.

The Syrian government refers to all those battling to overthrow Assad as terrorists and has said the talks should focus on battling terrorism.

The opposition wants Assad to step down as part of any peace deal.

The U.N. is urging the two sides to meet Jan. 25 in an effort to end the conflict, which has killed more than 250,000 people and caused a massive refugee crisis.

Conferences in Geneva in 2014 failed to bring about a settlement, though this round is seen as particularly urgent after the U.N. Security Council passed a resolution last month endorsing a transitional plan for Syria.

The Syrian opposition is demanding some gestures by the government ahead of the talks including lifting sieges imposed on rebel-held areas, releasing some detainees and ending airstrikes.

Also Saturday, International Committee of the Red Cross spokesman Pawel Krzysiek told The Associated Press that aid convoys could reach the rebel-held border town of Madaya on Monday. The town has been under siege since July and the government said it will allow aid to flow inside.

Krzysiek added that aid won't be able to reach Madaya and the two besieged northern Shiite village of Foua and Kfarya before Monday "for logistical reasons."

"Right now, preparations are underway. We are loading the trucks and sending the movement notifications," Krzysiek said.

Mroue reported from Beirut.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Naked protesters kill sheep, chain themselves together near Auschwitz gate

    World News Toronto Sun
    WARSAW, Poland — Officials say a group of some 10 Polish-speaking people took off their clothes, killed a sheep and chained themselves together by the main gate of the former Nazi German death camp of Auschwitz before being detained by police. Source
  • Nova Scotia boy, 14, charged with sharing child pornography on Facebook

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- A 14-year-old Nova Scotia boy has been charged with sharing child pornography on Facebook. Const. Lindsey Donovan said RCMP officers arrested the young teen at home in Kingston, N.S., on Thursday after Facebook informed them that the image had been shared. Source
  • How moving to Canada helped Amy Jo Johnson, the first Pink Power Ranger, reinvent her career

    Canada News CBC News
    For a young Amy Jo Johnson, Hollywood fame was more daunting than the evil monsters she regularly fought on television. Shortly after moving to Los Angeles in the early 1990s at the age of 21, the young actor was cast in a new kids' show. Source
  • U.S. coalition investigating reports of deadly Mosul airstrike

    World News CTV News
    BAGHDAD -- The U.S.-led coalition fighting the Islamic State group is investigating reports of an airstrike in a western neighbourhood in the Iraqi city of Mosul that allegedly left more than 100 civilians dead last week, according to a statement given to The Associated Press on Friday. Source
  • Video shows Tulsa cops running down gun-toting, wanted Oklahoma woman

    World News Toronto Sun
    Cops in Oklahoma have released dashcam video showing the final moments of a gun-toting woman’s life. Newly released video of Madison Dickson being run down by a Tulsa police cruiser shows the crazed 21-year-old waving a handgun before falling under the vehicle. Source
  • 'Pizzagate' gunman pleads guilty to shooting

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — A man who police said was inspired by false internet rumours dubbed “pizzagate” to fire an assault weapon inside a Washington pizzeria pleaded guilty Friday to two charges. Edgar Maddison Welch of Salisbury, North Carolina, said during a hearing in U.S. Source
  • Urinating on police cruiser nets charges for man in Ridgetown, Ont.

    Canada News CTV News
    RIDGETOWN, Ont. - A southwestern Ontario man is facing charges after allegedly relieving himself on a police cruiser. Chatham-Kent police say an officer was sitting in his fully marked cruiser in Ridgetown, Ont., early Friday morning when a man came out of a nearby bar. Source
  • Calgary WWI soldier's remains identified 100 years after his death

    Canada News CBC News
    A First World War soldier, whose remains were discovered four years ago in a field outside Arleux-en-Gohelle, France, has been identified as a Scottish-born Calgary solider who died nearly 100 years ago. Sgt. James Alexander Milne was just 34 when he died on April 28, 1917, during an operation against a German position known as Arleux Loop. Source
  • Donald Trump: I've approved Keystone XL pipeline

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Canada’s hotly debated, long-delayed Keystone XL pipeline received its elusive U.S. presidential permit from Donald Trump on Friday, eight years and six months after it first applied to cross the American border. The president made the announcement at the White House. Source
  • Heimlich hero: Video captures student calmly saving friend's life

    World News CTV News
    LA CROSSE, Wis. - A Wisconsin high school student is being called a hero for using the Heimlich manoeuvre to rescue a choking friend in the school cafeteria. Video of the incident shows several students at La Crosse's Central High School eating lunch when one of them, Will Olson, begins to choke on a cheese curd. Source