25 news organizations urge John Kerry to press Iran to release jailed reporter

WASHINGTON -- Executives from 25 news organizations, including The Associated Press, sent a letter Friday to Secretary of State John Kerry urging him to press Iran to release jailed Washington Post reporter Jason Rezaian.

See Full Article

The letter said Iran should recognize that independent journalism is "a fundamental human right" and free Rezaian. "The United States has considerable leverage with Iran right now to press that point, and we urge you to continue to do so," the executives wrote.

Rezaian, 39, was born in California and holds both U.S. and Iranian citizenships. He was convicted in closed proceedings last year after being charged with espionage and related allegations. The length of his sentence has not been disclosed publicly.

"Iran has never offered any evidence that even makes a pretense of justifying this imprisonment," the news executives wrote.

They noted: "Many of our organizations employ journalists who, like Jason, operate in countries, like Iran, that do not always hold a high regard for the free flow of information. We understand the risks involved."

Still, the letter continued, "we depend on the United States and other democratic countries to stand behind the values that Jason represents."

Media organizations represented in the letter included the AP, The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, ABC, CBS, NBC and CNN.

The Post has vigorously denied the accusations against Rezaian. Post Publisher Frederick J. Ryan Jr. said in December that the United States, other governments and businesses should keep Rezaian in mind when considering improved relations with Iran.

"If the callous regime in Tehran imprisons and abuses a fully accredited and innocent journalist, what might they do to a visiting delegation?" Ryan said.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Prague hotel fire kills 2, injures 8

    World News CTV News
    PRAGUE, Czech Republic -- Czech officials say a hotel fire in downtown Prague has killed at least two people and injured dozens. Prague rescue service spokeswoman Jana Postova says that eight people have been rushed to hospitals with serious injuries after the blaze broke out in the hotel Saturday evening. Source
  • Gunmen storm Intercontinental Hotel in Afghan capital Kabul

    World News CTV News
    KABUL -- An Afghan official says that a group of gunmen have attacked the Intercontinental Hotel in the capital Kabul. Interior Ministry spokesman Najib Danish confirmed Saturday that the hotel came under attack at around 9 p.m. Source
  • U.S. cardinal calls pope's comments on abuse victims 'a source of great pain'

    World News CTV News
    LIMA, Peru -- Pope Francis' top adviser on clerical sex abuse implicitly rebuked the pontiff over his accusations of slander against Chilean abuse victims, saying Saturday that his words were "a source of great pain for survivors of sexual abuse. Source
  • Sherman family's private investigators believe couple was murdered: report

    Canada News CTV News
    Despite earlier information suggesting a possible murder-suicide, Toronto billionaire philanthropists Barry and Honey Sherman were murdered, according to the findings of a private team of investigators hired by the family, Toronto Star’s Chief Investigative Reporter Kevin Donovan tells CTV News. Source
  • Gunmen attack Kabul's Intercontinental Hotel

    World News CBC News
    A group of as many as four gunmen attacked the Intercontinental Hotel in the Afghan capital Kabul and were exchanging fire with security forces on Saturday as residents and staff fled. Hotel manager Ahmad Haris Nayab, who managed to escape unhurt, said the attackers had managed to get inside and people were fleeing amid bursts of gunfire on all sides, but he could say nothing about any casualties. Source
  • Men's Facebook group appears to re-emerge after being taken offline

    Canada News CTV News
    Despite being taken offline Friday night, a private, men-only Facebook group that was linked to trolling attacks on several B.C. businesses appears to have re-emerged.Scroll down or click here to vote in our poll of the day The ‘Official HimPower Backup Group’ Facebook group has garnered a slew of new members since the ‘HimPower’ group was shut down after CTV News revealed that some of its 44,000+ members were sharing intimate images of women without their consent and posting offensive online…
  • Junior hockey star charged in violent break-in at Calgary professor's home

    Canada News CBC News
    A Mount Royal University student and the former captain of its hockey team has been charged in a brutal attack on an MRU professor after a break-in at her Calgary home last weekend, CBC News has learned. Originally from Truro, N.S. Source
  • Mudslides take heavy toll on immigrants serving posh town

    World News CTV News
    Oprah Winfrey and Rob Lowe give Montecito its star power, but it's people like Antonio and Victor Benitez who keep the wealthy Southern California community running. The Mexican brothers are gardeners and part of the town's working-class immigrant population, which suffered outsized losses from the recent mudslides that killed at least 20, injured dozens and damaged or destroyed hundreds of homes. Source
  • Turkish jets bombard Kurdish-run city of Afrin in Syria

    World News CBC News
    Turkish jets bombed the Kurdish-controlled city of Afrin in northern Syria on Saturday, as President Recep Tayyip Erdogan promised to expand Turkey's military border operations against a Kurdish group that has been the U.S.'s key Syria ally in the war on the group Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS). Source
  • P.E.I. legion to apologize after Sikh man reportedly asked to remove headdress

    Canada News CTV News
    TIGNISH, P.E.I. - The president of a P.E.I. branch of the Royal Canadian Legion is expected to apologize after a Sikh man was reportedly asked to remove his religious head covering and heckled with racist remarks. Source