Islamic State militant in Syria kills his own mother in public

BEIRUT -- An Islamic State fighter shot and killed his own mother before onlookers at a public square in the Syrian city of Raqqa after he was told that she was not a true believer, activists reported Friday, the latest in IS's brutal public killings over the past two years in the de facto capital of the group's self-proclaimed caliphate.

See Full Article

The killings -- and there have been scores since IS blitzed across Iraq and Syria to capture large swaths of land in the summer of 2014 -- are meant to spread terror and intimidate opponents. Many have been captured on camera, with the gruesome videos later posted on social media sites.

In 2014, a woman was stoned to death after IS charged her with adultery. Last year, the group put a Jordanian pilot inside a metal cage, then set him on fire, apparently also in Raqqa. The Islamic State has also posted images of beheadings of captured foreigners, journalists and aid workers, including Americans, British and those of other nationalities.

According to the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which tracks the Syrian conflict, 20-year-old IS fighter Ali Sakr killed his mother in a public square in Raqqa on Thursday.

The Observatory said the woman, Lina Qassem, who was in her 40s, was originally from Syria's coastal region but had been living in the northern town of Tabqa for more than 20 years. The group said she was trying to convince her son to leave the extremist group and flee Raqqa but he in turn informed IS on her.

Abu Mohammed, a member of a Raqqa-based activist group that reports on IS, known as Raqqa is Being Slaughtered Silently, also reported the killing on his Twitter account. The Observatory said it took place near the local post office building, where Qassem worked.

Meanwhile, clashes in Iraq between a joint Turkish-Iraqi force and Islamic State militants near a training camp outside the northern city of Mosul left at least 18 IS fighters dead, the Turkish president and a former Iraqi governor said Friday.

The fighting erupted late on Thursday outside the Bashiqa camp, which was at the centre of a controversy last month when Turkey moved troops there to protect Turkish trainers aiding local Sunni fighters hoping to take back Mosul from the Islamic State group.

Baghdad has demanded that Turkish troops withdraw, describing their presence as a violation of international law. Ankara has pulled some troops out but not all.

Turkish President Erdogan said on Friday that IS tried to infiltrate Bashiqa, triggering the clashes. Former Iraqi governor Atheel al-Nujaifi, who founded the training camp, said the attack was pre-empted.

But the commander of the training camp, Maj Gen. Mohammed Yahya, told The Associated Press that he was at the camp on Thursday night and there were no such clashes.

"There were airstrikes on IS targets, but there's always airstrikes. Our troops were not involved in any fighting," he insisted.

A commander with the Iraqi Kurdish peshmerga forces at the frontline near the training camp said airstrikes killed 16 IS fighters there on Thursday night. The commander, Saeed Mamuzini, said he was not aware of any fighting between the Sunni-Turkish forces and the IS group.

The disparate accounts of the events Thursday night could not immediately be reconciled.

Janssen reported from Irbil, Iraq. Associated Press writer Suzan Fraser in Ankara, Turkey, contributed to this report.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Woman sought in Calgary quadruple homicide might be in Ontario or Quebec

    Canada News CTV News
    Calgary police say a woman they're seeking in connection with a quadruple homicide earlier this month may be in Ontario or Quebec. Yu Chieh Liao, who goes by Diana Liao, is considered a person of interest in killings police have described as brutal and ruthless. Source
  • 'Fish stinks from head down': Scaramucci accuses Priebus of being leaker [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — New White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci went after chief of staff Reince Priebus Thursday as a suspected “leaker” within the West Wing in a pull-no-punches interview that laid bare the personality clashes and internal turmoil of Donald Trump’s presidency. Source
  • One-in-23 million odds: Quebecer wins lottery for second time in 9 years

    Canada News CTV News
    QUEBEC -- There are lucky men, and then there's Jules Parent. For the second time in nine years, the 69-year-old Quebecer has won $1 million playing the lottery. "I know very well that the probability of winning is extremely small and winning twice in a relatively short time is really something else," Parent said in an interview Thursday. Source
  • Jail guard faces reprimand for exposing alleged neglect of mentally ill inmate

    Canada News CTV News
    An Ontario correctional officer says he may be disciplined for tweeting about a mentally ill inmate who was allegedly left in his own filth in solitary confinement. Chris Jackel, a guard at the Central North Correctional Centre in Penetanguishene, Ont. Source
  • Surveillance plane crews strained after three years flying over Iraq, Syria

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- The Canadian military is hoping the recent withdrawal of one of its Aurora surveillance planes from the fight against the Islamic State will help ease what had become a serious strain on the fleet's aircrews. Source
  • Canada approves White House and congressional leaders scrapping border tax

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Trump administration officials and congressional leaders are no longer considering an import-based tax system to rewrite the tax code, which was welcomed by Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland. A border tax system had been contemplated to lower rates without blowing a hole in the American budget. Source
  • Boy Scouts leader apologizes for Trump's 'political rhetoric' in jamboree speech

    World News CBC News
    The Boy Scouts' chief executive apologized Thursday to members of the scouting community who were offended by the aggressive political rhetoric in President Donald Trump's recent speech to the Scouts' national jamboree. The apology came in a statement from chief scout executive Michael Surbaugh, three days after Trump's speech to nearly 40,000 scouts and adults gathered in West Virginia. Source
  • Nova Scotia thieves steal Bluenose captain's historic weather vane

    Canada News CTV News
    LUNENBURG, N.S. - The RCMP are seeking the public's help in the theft of an historic object once owned by Nova Scotia's most famous sea captain -- Capt. Angus Walters, skipper of the schooner Bluenose. Source
  • Police body cam records Florida cop wrestling with gator

    World News CTV News
    Incredible footage captured on a Florida police officer’s body camera shows the officer face off with one of the state’s deadliest creatures. Alfred Vargas of the Boynton Beach Police Department, a community about 90 kilometres north of Miami, was called to a local home when a resident complained about an alligator lingering outside their front door. Source
  • Boy Scout leader apologizes for Donald Trump's speech at national jamboree [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — The Boy Scouts’ chief executive apologized Thursday to members of the scouting community who were offended by the aggressive political rhetoric in President Donald Trump’s recent speech to the Scouts’ national jamboree. The apology came in a statement from Chief Scout Executive Michael Surbaugh, three days after Trump’s speech to nearly 40,000 scouts and adults gathered in West Virginia. Source