Three tourists stabbed at Egyptian resort by suspected militants: officials

CAIRO -- Two suspected militants stabbed and wounded three foreign tourists -- two Austrians and a Swede -- at a hotel in Egypt's Red Sea resort city of Hurghada on Friday, the Interior Ministry said.

See Full Article

Security forces opened fire at the two assailants, killing one and seriously wounding the other, according to a ministry statement. The wounded attacker was arrested, according to security officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.

It is the second attack on a hotel frequented by foreign tourists in Egypt in as many days, an ominous development for the country's already battered tourism industry.

The attacks came less than three months after a Russian airliner was downed over the Sinai Peninsula shortly after it took off from Sharm el-Sheikh, another popular Red Sea resort in Egypt. All 224 people on board, most of them Russian, were killed. The local affiliate of the extremist Islamic State group claimed responsibility for downing the aircraft, saying it had planted a bomb aboard.

The Interior Ministry, which is in charge of police, said two men armed with knives had entered the restaurant at the front of the seaside, four-star Bella Vista Hotel and attacked the tourists.

The ministry identified the slain attacker as 21-year-old Mohammed Hassan Mohammed Mahfouz, a student from Cairo's neighbourhood of Giza. Both attackers, it said, carried knives and pellet guns.

All three wounded tourists were taken to hospital, where one was treated and discharged, the statement said. There was no word in the statement on the condition of the other two, but Health Ministry spokesman Khaled Megahed described the condition of the three as "not serious."

Security officials had initially said the attackers wounded two tourists, a Dane and a German, but such discrepancies are common in the immediate aftermath of terror attacks.

A member of the hotel's management staff who witnessed the incident said the attackers sneaked into the Bella Vista from a hotel next door, accessing the facility from the beach.

The slain attacker, he said, appeared to want to take a female tourist hostage, dragging her into the hotel's lobby with his knife held against her neck when he was shot dead by a policeman.

The witness spoke on condition of anonymity in line with the hotel's management regulations.

The attack came just hours after the local affiliate of the Islamic State claimed responsibility for an attack a day earlier on a hotel in Cairo near the Giza Pyramids. No one was hurt in the Thursday attack in which a group of over a dozen men fired flares and birdshot at a security post outside the hotel where Arab Israeli tourists were staying.

Egypt has been battling an insurgency by Islamic militants led by the local affiliate of the extremist Islamic State group. The insurgency has been centred at the northern part of the Sinai Peninsula but has frequently spilled over into the mainland since the ouster in 2013 of the Islamist President Mohammed Morsi.

The Hurghada attack is a dangerous precedent since Egypt's Red Sea resorts have done better than elsewhere in the country in weathering the slump suffered by the city's vital tourism sector in the five years of turmoil since an uprising toppled longtime ruler Hosni Mubarak.

Thursday's Giza attack was also significant in that it targeted a hotel in Cairo, a heavily policed city of some 18 million residents, at a time when security appeared to improve in recent months after a series of bomb attacks.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Ex-train engineer apologizes for his role in Lac-Megantic tragedy

    Canada News CTV News
    SHERBROOKE, Que. - One of the three men acquitted of criminal negligence in the Lac-Megantic railway disaster is apologizing publicly for his role in the tragedy that killed 47 people. Tom Harding spoke to reporters today for the first time since he and two former railway colleagues were found not guilty last week. Source
  • Assailant shoots man and then bites him on nose in Windsor, Ont.: police

    Canada News CTV News
    WINDSOR, Ont. -- A man is facing charges after allegedly forcing his way into a Windsor, Ont., home, shooting a man and then biting him on the nose. Windsor police say officers went to the home early Saturday to investigate a report of a shooting and were told by family members that two men were fighting inside. Source
  • 'It took us by surprise': Court to admit 96 victim impact statements in teen murder case

    Canada News CTV News
    A Winnipeg court will admit 96 victim impact statements at the sentencing of the man who pleaded guilty to the second-degree murder of 17-year-old Cooper Nemeth, despite concern the large number will have a disproportionate impact on the outcome of the proceedings. Source
  • Man grabbed boy by throat in Kingston, Ont. road rage incident: police

    Canada News CTV News
    KINGSTON, Ont. -- A 46-year-old man is facing charges after allegedly attacking a child in a road rage incident in eastern Ontario. Police say the accused was the passenger in a car that had been driving through a Kingston, Ont. Source
  • Toronto police partner with Ryerson University for training program

    Canada News CTV News
    Toronto police have announced a new partnership with Ryerson University that will see the school offer courses to city cops. Police say the university has designed a new course on diversity and "bias avoidance" specifically for officers, and members of the force will also be able to enrol in existing courses at the school. Source
  • Russian court orders shutdown of opposition figure Navalny's foundation

    World News CBC News
    A Moscow district court has ordered the closure of the foundation crucial to the election campaign of opposition leader Alexei Navalny. Navalny, President Vladimir Putin's most formidable foe, had been leading a grass-roots campaign for a year ahead of the 2018 presidential vote, before election officials in December formally barred him from running. Source
  • Kingston, Ont., woman, 42, charged after being found naked in stranger's bathtub

    Canada News CTV News
    KINGSTON, Ont. - Police say a woman is facing charges after she was found lounging naked in a stranger's bathtub in Kingston, Ont. They say that when the complainant arrived home on Sunday evening, she found the nude woman in the unfilled tub. Source
  • Saskatchewan ends ban on Alberta plates at its job sites

    Canada News CTV News
    EDMONTON - The licence plate fight between Saskatchewan and Alberta is over. An Alberta government spokesman says Saskatchewan informed them by letter today it is rescinding its ban on vehicles with Alberta licence plates on Saskatchewan government project sites. Source
  • Any steak specials? RCMP dashcam catches cougar in front of Banff grocery store

    Canada News CTV News
    BANFF, Alta. -- An RCMP officer on a traffic stop in Banff caught more than he expected on his car's dash camera. The video, which shows the constable talking to a motorist, captured a cougar dashing by a couple of metres away -- in front of a grocery store. Source
  • 'Unnecessary risks' to blame for record high snowmobile deaths in Ontario: OPP

    Canada News CTV News
    The winter of 2016-2017 had the highest number of snowmobile-related fatalities in Ontario on record, provincial police say. During the season, Ontario Provincial Police responded to 27 snowmobile deaths, marking a record high in snowmobile-related fatalities since the winter of 2003-2004. Source