Tel Aviv gunman who killed 3 people shot dead by Israeli police

JERUSALEM -- An Arab gunman who killed three Israelis in Tel Aviv last week was killed on Friday in a shootout with police, following a massive manhunt that put Israelis on edge while the killer was on the loose.

See Full Article

Police spokeswoman Luba Samri said the gunman "was found in a building" on Friday. She said he came out shooting at the special forces and "was then shot and killed."

The gunman was identified earlier as Nashat Milhem, an Arab from the northern Israel. He opened fire at a bar on a busy street in Tel Aviv last Friday, killing two people and wounding several others. He later also shot and killed an Arab taxi driver.

The incident came amid more than three months of near-daily Palestinian attacks against Israeli civilians and soldiers.

Samri said Milhem had opened fire at the police with the same gun he used in the attacks in Tel Aviv. Police said Milhem was found near the Arab village of Arara in northern Israel where he is from.

Hakim Younis told Channel 10 TV that he witnessed some of the incident from his home.

"I was sitting on my balcony with my cousin ... when suddenly, shooting began, hundreds of bullets, like in a war," Younis said, adding that he then went inside and didn't see anything further.

Israelis are used to quickly resuming their daily routines following attacks because assailants are usually swiftly captured or killed. But the Tel Aviv shootings left Israelis jittery because Milhem, who was considered armed and dangerous, was on the loose for a week.

Milhelm's relatives had said he was "traumatized" after a cousin was shot dead in a 2006 police arrest raid. At the time, police said they were searching for weapons and claimed the shooting was in self-defence.

Milhelm served time in an Israeli prison after being convicted of attacking a soldier and trying to steal his weapon. But he was also described by residents of the upscale Tel Aviv neighbourhood where he worked as a grocery store delivery man as being well-liked and trusted.

Israeli Arabs, who make up a fifth of the country's 8.4 million people, enjoy full rights but have long complained of unfair treatment in areas such as housing and employment opportunities. Many identify more with their Palestinian brethren in the West Bank and Gaza and with Palestinian nationalism rather than with Israel.

The near-daily Palestinian attacks on Israeli civilians and soldiers have killed 21 Israelis, mostly in stabbings, shootings and car-ramming assaults. At least 134 Palestinians died by Israeli fire, including 93 said by Israel to be attackers. The rest were killed in clashes with troops. These figures do not include Milhelm's victims.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Casualties mount as Iraqi troops advance into Mosul

    World News CTV News
    MOSUL, Iraq -- "We have wounded!" the men shouted from the roadside. Two soldiers, bleeding, were being bandaged beside their smoking vehicle on the side of a dusty dirt road. Iraqi special forces Maj. Source
  • California officials work to stop Oroville Dam's outflow to clear debris

    World News CTV News
    OROVILLE, Calif. -- California water authorities will stop the outflow from the Oroville Dam's crippled spillway to allow workers to remove debris blocking a hydroelectric plant from working, officials said Sunday. The Department of Water Resources said it will start gradually reducing outflows from the Northern California dam beginning Monday morning and completely halt them by the afternoon. Source
  • Charlie Angus enters NDP leadership race [Video]

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA — And then there were two. Ontario MP Charlie Angus officially entered the NDP leadership race Sunday — a competition that’s expected to start heating up soon with a debate scheduled for next month in Ottawa. Source
  • Aide defends Trump's decision to skip correspondents' dinner: He wasn't elected 'to spend his time with reporters and celebrities' [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    Donald Trump will be working to improve the country when he skips the media love-in known as the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner. The White House says people should expect the president to spend that Saturday night in April “focused on what he can to do to help better America. Source
  • New Orleans crash suspect’s alcohol level 3 times legal limit: Cops [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEW ORLEANS — Authorities on Sunday identified the man who allegedly plowed into a crowd enjoying a Mardi Gras parade in New Orleans while intoxicated. The New Orleans Police Department issued a statement identifying the man as 25-year-old Neilson Rizzuto. Source
  • Winnipeg police find person of interest in alleged mall fluid assault case

    Canada News CTV News
    Winnipeg police say they're waiting for a forensic examination of a substance a man allegedly sprayed on a teenage girl in a shopping mall before deciding whether to lay charges. Investigators released a security image on Saturday from the St. Source
  • Phooey to ‘phobias’

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    If you suffer from a fear of phobias, these are trying times. The victim industry, the hate ’n’ fear brokers, haven’t seen a boom like this since the last world war. Our leaders, our effete elites and their Internet envoys are adding new phobias to their arsenal almost daily. Source
  • Trump's choice to be Navy secretary withdraws

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- President Donald Trump's choice to be secretary of the Navy, businessman Philip Bilden, said Sunday he was withdrawing from consideration for the post, citing concerns about privacy and separating himself from his business interests. Source
  • New Orleans crash suspect’s alcohol level 3 times legal limit: Cops

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEW ORLEANS — Authorities on Sunday identified the man who allegedly plowed into a crowd enjoying a Mardi Gras parade in New Orleans while intoxicated. The New Orleans Police Department issued a statement identifying the man as 25-year-old Neilson Rizzuto. Source
  • Community rallies to throw birthday party for autistic boy

    Canada News CTV News
    Dozens of people rallied together in Kitchener, Ont. on Sunday to make seven-year-old Landen Hart’s birthday extra memorable after news no one showed up to his original party surfaced online. “It's overwhelming,” his mother Ashley Verbakel told CTV Kitchener. Source