American parents of boy found dead in Spain charged with reckless homicide

GIRONA, Spain -- An American couple arrested after police found the badly decomposed body of their 7-year-old son at the family's apartment in northeastern Spain told a court Friday that the child suffered from asthma and did not wake up one morning, but that the family didn't believe he was dead.

See Full Article

A judge charged Bruce and Schrell Hopkins, aged 39 and 38 and originally from the Detroit area, with reckless homicide but allowed them to be released provisionally after questioning them. Case prosecutor Enrique Barata said their passports were removed.

Police on Tuesday arrested the two after officers found the body of their son, Caleb, under several blankets on a bed at the family's rented apartment in the city of Girona.

Barata said the exact cause and time of the child's death had yet to be established. They said the child was known to be alive on Nov. 15 when the family went to a restaurant to celebrate a family birthday.

Barata told reporters the father said he tried to resuscitate the boy. He told the judge the family did not take the child to a hospital because they did not believe in standard medicine, although they had treated him with inhalers and homeopathic medicine.

The prosecutor said the father acknowledged he lost his sense of reason when he saw that the child was no longer moving. He said that after that the couple and their two other children stayed in the apartment with the corpse.

Police discovered the body after they went to the apartment following a call by the apartment's owner, who had gone to collect unpaid rent.

Barata said the family's visas had expired several months ago.

Police previously called at the apartment on New Year's Eve to check if the father was all right after the U.S. embassy contacted them, saying the man's work colleagues were concerned after not hearing from him in some time.

Police said the man did not open the door but insisted that he was fine and would get in contact with the U.S. embassy. The spokesman said the officers noticed nothing suspicious.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Bail revoked for promoter of failed music fest in Bahamas

    World News CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Bail was revoked Monday for the promoter of a failed music festival on a Bahamian island by a judge who called him a flight risk and a nonviolent danger to the community. Source
  • Pentagon suspends August military drills with South Korea

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- The Pentagon on Monday formally suspended a major military exercise planned for August with South Korea, a much-anticipated move stemming from President Donald Trump's nuclear summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. Source
  • Judge releases dashcam video of fatal crash after speeding driver's acquittal

    Canada News CTV News
    A B.C. judge has released a dashcam video of a high-speed crash that killed a Vancouver doctor in 2015. The driver of the car was found to be going 119 km/h in a 50 km/h zone at the point of impact, but was acquitted in May of dangerous driving causing death. Source
  • Alberta RCMP staff sergeant charged with sex assault

    Canada News CTV News
    FORT MCMURRAY, Alta. - A staff sergeant with the RCMP in northern Alberta has been suspended after being charged with one count of sexual assault. The RCMP says in a release that two female members of the Wood Buffalo detachment complained that they had been touched inappropriately at an off-site Christmas party. Source
  • Quebec liquor store employees threaten to strike ahead of Fete nationale

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Employees with Quebec's liquor authority are threatening to strike ahead of the province's popular Fete nationale holiday, also known as St-Jean-Baptiste day. Workers are scheduled to vote Monday and over the course of the next several days on a proposal by union executives for a six-day strike that could begin June 23, the day before the holiday. Source
  • Spanish PM vows to exhume Franco from controversial site

    World News CTV News
    MADRID -- Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said Monday he wants to remove the remains of the late dictator Gen. Francisco Franco from a controversial mausoleum and turn the site into a monument for reconciliation. Source
  • Manitoba Liberal wants ban on chamber talk about NDP leader's criminal past

    Canada News CTV News
    WINNIPEG -- A Manitoba politician wants to ban members of the Tory government from discussing Opposition NDP Leader Wab Kinew's criminal convictions and other brushes with the law inside the legislature. Liberal legislature member Judy Klassen recently asked the Speaker to stop members of the Tory government from bringing up Kinew's past during debates in the chamber. Source
  • Report says over 1 billion small arms in world, up from 2007

    World News CTV News
    CAMEROON, Cameroon -- There are over 1 billion firearms in the world today, including 857 million in civilian hands -- with American men and women the dominant owners, according to a study released Monday. The Small Arms Survey says 393 million of the civilian-held firearms, 46 per cent, are in the United States, which is "more than those held by civilians in the other top 25 countries combined. Source
  • 3 adults, 2 children, family dog struck by lightning in Ontario

    Canada News CTV News
    Three adults, two children and a family dog were struck by lightning in southwestern Ontario Monday afternoon. According to the Ontario Provincial Police, all of the human victims suffered minor injuries and were taken to hospital. Source
  • Canada tracking Trump's border crackdown to see if U.S. remains safe for asylum seekers

    Canada News CBC News
    Canada is monitoring the impact of U.S. President Donald Trump's "zero-tolerance" migrant policy — which has led to the forcible detention of thousands of children — to determine if the U.S. remains a safe country for asylum seekers. Source