Police try to determine identity of Paris police attacker

PARIS -- French investigators are trying to determine the true identity of the man wearing a fake explosives vest who tried to attack a Paris police station with a butcher knife, inspecting the dead assailant's phone and a note he was carrying.

See Full Article

Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said the assailant shot dead on the anniversary of the Charlie Hebdo attacks gave his nationality as Tunisian and carried a paper marked with the Muslim declaration of faith, an emblem of the Islamic State group, and a name. He also had a phone with a German SIM card, Molins said.

"I am not at all certain that the identity he gave is real. This identity has been checked with the intelligence services and he is not known under this name by the intelligence services," Molins told France-Inter radio Friday.

Instead, police are "working on the hypothesis" that the assailant is a man who was involved in a minor 2013 robbery in the southern Var region, according to a French security official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the case.

The official said that the fingerprints of the dead attacker matched those of the robbery suspect, who identified himself at the time as Ali Sallah of Casablanca, Morocco. But the assailant Thursday appeared to be older than 20, which would be his age under the ID he verbally gave police in 2013. He provided no papers and described himself as a homeless Moroccan in France illegally, the official said.

Authorities say the assailant was shot to death after he ran up to the police station in northern Paris with a butcher knife and refused orders to back away. Molins said a piece of paper found on him offered allegiance to the leader of the Islamic State group and said "his act is linked to the deaths in Syria." The shooting came exactly a year after two Islamic extremists attacked Charlie Hebdo, killing 12 people at the satirical newspaper's office.

The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the January 2015 attacks that killed 17 and the Nov. 13 attacks in Paris that killed 130.

Three of the men directly involved in the Nov. 13 attacks remain unidentified: Two suicide bombers at the French national stadium and an assailant believed to have been among the gunmen who fired on bars and restaurants.

The two suicide bombers were found with Syrian passports determined to be fake, and the third man died in an explosion Nov. 18 alongside Abdelhamid Abaaoud, who is believed to have masterminded the attacks.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Fraud case charges stayed because of judge shortage in Ontario Superior Court

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Five men accused in an alleged multimillion-dollar fraud scheme have had all charges against them stayed because of a shortage of judges in Ontario's Superior Court of Justice. Earlier this year, a judge attempting to set a trial date for the five accused said they could not come before the courts until at least January 2019. Source
  • Newly released video from Brazil shows man believed to be last of tribe

    World News CTV News
    SAO PAULO -- No one knows his name. No one knows the name of the people he came from. And he appears to have lived alone in Brazil's Amazon for 22 years. Video released for this first time this week by Brazil's Indian Foundation shows rare images of a so-called uncontacted indigenous man who is believed to be the last surviving member of his tribe. Source
  • Man charged with attempted murder of 5-year-old makes court appearance

    Canada News CTV News
    The 28-year-old man charged with the attempted murder of a 5-year-old Brampton, Ont. boy appeared in court on Friday. Dyon Smart has been remanded in custody and will make his next court appearance on July 25. Source
  • 'The Jay Z of St.-T': Rapper runs for mayor in St. Thomas, Ont.

    Canada News CTV News
    Three years ago, rap artist Malichi Male was driving to a gig in London, Ont. when he got lost. Male took a wrong turn and ended up in St. Thomas, a quiet community about 27 kilometres south of his destination. Source
  • MGM turns to never-tested law to sue Vegas shooting victims

    World News CTV News
    LAS VEGAS -- The unprecedented move from MGM Resorts International to sue hundreds of victims of last year's mass shooting in Las Vegas using an obscure U.S. law never tested in court has been framed by the casino-operator as an effort to avoid years of costly litigation -- but the legal manoeuvr may not play out that way. Source
  • 4-year-old boy shoots, kills 2-year-old cousin in California: police

    World News CTV News
    SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. -- Authorities say a 4-year-old boy accidentally shot and killed his 2-year-old cousin at a home in Southern California. San Bernardino County sheriff's spokeswoman Cindy Bachman says the shooting occurred Friday morning in the Muscoy area, east of Los Angeles. Source
  • Technical and stage workers locked out at Toronto's Exhibition Place

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Workers who provide technical and staging expertise for events in major venues at Toronto's Exhibition Place have been locked out. International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees Local 58 says the lockout comes after months of negotiations for a new collective agreement. Source
  • Woman 'livid' after Air Canada allegedly failed to put mother’s remains on connecting flight

    Canada News CTV News
    A Brampton, Ont. woman says her mother’s remains spent days in an unrefrigerated Miami warehouse after Air Canada allegedly failed to transfer them to a connecting flight on time. “I’m livid,” Dion De Freitas told CTV Toronto. Source
  • U.S. making 'great progress' reuniting migrant families: judge

    World News CTV News
    SAN DIEGO -- A federal judge says the Trump administration is making "great progress" toward meeting a Thursday deadline to reunite more than 2,500 children with their families after they were separated at the border. Source
  • Quebec pilot project to introduce sexual education to daycare-aged kids

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Some 1,200 Quebec daycare and kindergarten students will begin receiving age-appropriate sexual education this fall as part of a pilot project. The project will be run by the Marie-Vincent Foundation, which fights sexual abuse of children and teenagers. Source