Bulldozers tear down morgue and hospital in China shocking patients

BEIJING - Bulldozers unexpectedly demolished part of a hospital and its adjoining morgue in central China, sending doctors, nurses and patients fleeing and burying under rubble six bodies being processed at the morgue, reports said Friday.

See Full Article

The official Xinhua News Agency reported that the hospital accused the local government of ordering the demolition work after failing to get the hospital to agree to it for a road expansion project.

The No. 4 Hospital of Zhengzhou University in Henan province said the unexpected demolition work Thursday morning buried six bodies stored in the morgue, caused nearly 20 million yuan worth of damage to medical equipment and injured several hospital staff, according to Xinhua.

"Burying the remains of patients is enormously disrespectful to the dead," the hospital's deputy propaganda chief, Zhang Yuan, was quoted as saying. "I never imagined anything like this would ever happen."

The Huiji District Government Information Office said in an online statement Thursday evening that they had asked the hospital in vain to demolish the CT room and morgue itself. It said workers had made sure there were no people inside the buildings before tearing them down, and there had been no casualties.

Calls to the mobile of an official at the construction bureau rang unanswered Friday, as did calls to numbers provided by the hospital's information service.

Forced demolitions are a common problem in China as local governments have looked to real estate and other development to fuel economic growth.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Ex-train engineer apologizes for his role in Lac-Megantic tragedy

    Canada News CTV News
    SHERBROOKE, Que. - One of the three men acquitted of criminal negligence in the Lac-Megantic railway disaster is apologizing publicly for his role in the tragedy that killed 47 people. Tom Harding spoke to reporters today for the first time since he and two former railway colleagues were found not guilty last week. Source
  • Assailant shoots man and then bites him on nose in Windsor, Ont.: police

    Canada News CTV News
    WINDSOR, Ont. -- A man is facing charges after allegedly forcing his way into a Windsor, Ont., home, shooting a man and then biting him on the nose. Windsor police say officers went to the home early Saturday to investigate a report of a shooting and were told by family members that two men were fighting inside. Source
  • 'It took us by surprise': Court to admit 96 victim impact statements in teen murder case

    Canada News CTV News
    A Winnipeg court will admit 96 victim impact statements at the sentencing of the man who pleaded guilty to the second-degree murder of 17-year-old Cooper Nemeth, despite concern the large number will have a disproportionate impact on the outcome of the proceedings. Source
  • Man grabbed boy by throat in Kingston, Ont. road rage incident: police

    Canada News CTV News
    KINGSTON, Ont. -- A 46-year-old man is facing charges after allegedly attacking a child in a road rage incident in eastern Ontario. Police say the accused was the passenger in a car that had been driving through a Kingston, Ont. Source
  • Toronto police partner with Ryerson University for training program

    Canada News CTV News
    Toronto police have announced a new partnership with Ryerson University that will see the school offer courses to city cops. Police say the university has designed a new course on diversity and "bias avoidance" specifically for officers, and members of the force will also be able to enrol in existing courses at the school. Source
  • Russian court orders shutdown of opposition figure Navalny's foundation

    World News CBC News
    A Moscow district court has ordered the closure of the foundation crucial to the election campaign of opposition leader Alexei Navalny. Navalny, President Vladimir Putin's most formidable foe, had been leading a grass-roots campaign for a year ahead of the 2018 presidential vote, before election officials in December formally barred him from running. Source
  • Kingston, Ont., woman, 42, charged after being found naked in stranger's bathtub

    Canada News CTV News
    KINGSTON, Ont. - Police say a woman is facing charges after she was found lounging naked in a stranger's bathtub in Kingston, Ont. They say that when the complainant arrived home on Sunday evening, she found the nude woman in the unfilled tub. Source
  • Saskatchewan ends ban on Alberta plates at its job sites

    Canada News CTV News
    EDMONTON - The licence plate fight between Saskatchewan and Alberta is over. An Alberta government spokesman says Saskatchewan informed them by letter today it is rescinding its ban on vehicles with Alberta licence plates on Saskatchewan government project sites. Source
  • Any steak specials? RCMP dashcam catches cougar in front of Banff grocery store

    Canada News CTV News
    BANFF, Alta. -- An RCMP officer on a traffic stop in Banff caught more than he expected on his car's dash camera. The video, which shows the constable talking to a motorist, captured a cougar dashing by a couple of metres away -- in front of a grocery store. Source
  • 'Unnecessary risks' to blame for record high snowmobile deaths in Ontario: OPP

    Canada News CTV News
    The winter of 2016-2017 had the highest number of snowmobile-related fatalities in Ontario on record, provincial police say. During the season, Ontario Provincial Police responded to 27 snowmobile deaths, marking a record high in snowmobile-related fatalities since the winter of 2003-2004. Source