Germany discusses deportations amid Cologne assaults fallout

COLOGNE, Germany -- Chancellor Angela Merkel said Thursday that Germany must examine whether it has done enough to deport foreigners who commit crimes, amid fallout from a string of New Year's Eve sexual assaults in Cologne.

See Full Article

Germany's justice minister said asylum-seekers could be deported if they're found to have participated in the assaults.

Police say witnesses have described the perpetrators as being of "Arab or North African origin," but there's little solid information so far on who committed the assaults. That has been seized on by some opponents of Germany's welcoming stance toward those fleeing conflict after the country registered nearly 1.1 million asylum-seekers last year.

Officials have cautioned it's important not to cast suspicion on refugees in general.

Still, Merkel said that "we must examine again and again whether we have already done what is necessary in terms of ... deportations from Germany in order to send clear signals to those who are not prepared to abide by our legal order."

She said in Berlin that the New Year's assaults were "repugnant criminal acts that ... Germany will not accept," and that legal changes or extra police presence may be examined.

"The feeling women had in this case of being at people's mercy, without any protection, is intolerable for me personally as well," she said. "And so it is important for everything that happened there to be put on the table."

Justice Minister Heiko Maas said in an interview with the Funke newspaper group that "deportations would certainly be conceivable."

He said the law allows for people to be deported during asylum proceedings if they're sentenced to a year or more in prison.

"The courts will have to decide on the level of sentences, but that penalty is in principle absolutely possible for sexual offences," he said.

Police said Thursday they have now received 121 criminal complaints alleging sexual assault and robbery during the New Year's Eve festivities. That includes two accounts of rape.

They said investigators working with video footage have identified 16 young men -- largely of North African origin -- who may be suspects and are working to determine whether they committed any crimes. Authorities don't yet have names for most of the men.

Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere said Wednesday that "anyone who commits serious crimes, whatever status he is in, must reckon with being deported from Germany."

"If it turns out that refugees were the perpetrators, then they forfeited their right to be guests," Andreas Scheuer, the general secretary of the conservative Christian Social Union -- the smallest party in Chancellor Angela Merkel's coalition government -- was quoted as telling the daily Bild.

Police have faced criticism for their response, and German media reported Thursday on an internal police report that suggested officers were overwhelmed by the situation on New Year's Eve.

Cologne police chief Wolfgang Albers said he is reporting to the regional government on what happened, and won't publicly give further details before a meeting Monday of the state legislature's home affairs committee.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Extension-cord mess cited in fire that killed N.B. mother, three sons

    Canada News CTV News
    ST. GEORGE, N.B. -- Fire investigators say a mess of extension cords, power bars and the failure of an electrical component were the likely cause of a fire that killed a New Brunswick woman and her three adult sons in April. Source
  • Scalise discharged from hospital, beginning rehabilitation

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. House Majority Whip Steve Scalise -- who was critically wounded in a shooting at a baseball practice last month -- has been discharged from a Washington hospital. MedStar Washington Hospital Center says the six-term Louisiana Republican was released from the hospital on Tuesday and is beginning "intensive inpatient rehabilitation. Source
  • Residential building collapses in Nigeria, killing at least 8

    World News CBC News
    A four-storey residential building collapsed in Nigeria's largest city killing at least eight people, including a child, emergency officials and an Associated Press photographer in Lagos said Wednesday. Authorities said at least 15 people had been rescued from the rubble of the building that collapsed Tuesday afternoon. Source
  • Jailbreak how-to: Inmates chronicle escape on cellphone mocking investigators

    World News Toronto Sun
    SANTA ANA, Calif. — Video shot with a contraband cellphone shows the escape of three inmates from a maximum-security wing of a California jail last year, as well as scenes from their days on the run. Los Angeles news station KNBC-TV, which aired parts of the footage Tuesday, says it was provided by an attorney connected to the case, and not by prosecutors. Source
  • Ohio executes Ronald Phillips, man convicted of rape and murder of three-year-old

    World News Toronto Sun
    LUCASVILLE, Ohio — Ohio is preparing to put a condemned child killer to death in the state’s first execution in more than three years. Forty-three-year-old Ronald Phillips is scheduled to die Wednesday at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility in Lucasville. Source
  • Judge set to decide if Charlie Gard can die at home after appeal for U.S. treatment stalled [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    LONDON — A British judge is considering where Charlie Gard, a baby with a rare genetic disease, will spend the last days of his life. A High Court judge is expected to decide at a London hearing Wednesday whether his parents’ wish to take Charlie home to die will be granted. Source
  • Canadian boy, 7, stranded in Cuba after falling ill on vacation

    Canada News CBC News
    A Canadian mother and her sick son are desperate to get back home after an illness forced Cole Antinello, 7, off an airplane tarmac in Cuba, leaving them stuck in hospital and searching for answers. Source
  • Judge set to decide on where Charlie Gard's spends last days

    World News CTV News
    LONDON -- A British judge is considering where Charlie Gard, a baby with a rare genetic disease, will spend the last days of his life. A High Court judge is expected to decide at a London hearing Wednesday whether his parents' wish to take Charlie home to die will be granted. Source
  • Man accused of raping and impregnating 11-year-old girl says she may have raped him

    World News Toronto Sun
    SPRINGFIELD, Mass. — Prosecutors say a 38-year-old Massachusetts man charged with impregnating an 11-year-old girl denies raping the girl, and instead suggested that she might have become pregnant by having sex with him as he slept. The Republican newspaper reports that Justin Armstrong, of Springfield, was held on $50,000 bail after pleading not guilty Monday to forcible child rape. Source
  • Parents of critically ill baby request own hospice care team

    World News CTV News
    LONDON -- The parents of critically ill infant Charlie Gard conceded Wednesday that he will die in a hospice and not at home as they had previously wished. Connie Yates, the mother of the baby at the centre of an international medical and legal battle, returned to London's High Court for a hearing where a judge was expected to rule on where Charlie would spend the last days of his life. Source